SUPPRESSORS? 300 Whisper ? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 09-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
twiceRetired Serve No One
Blue Marlin

Default SUPPRESSORS? 300 Whisper ?

I am considering buying this suppressor in the morning. any thoughts on the brand? good deal?
it will fit my LR308 for now but looking for a 300 Whisper also
thoughts ? recommendations? experience with this company?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=253322113

I know I will paying $200 to the Gov. to own it.
HisName is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
CCC
Grand Slam

The only HANDS ON experience with a suppressor I have is with a tech .22 and it was SILENT all you heard was the bolt slapping back and forth as it ejected the spent casing. If you have never had HANDS ON experience with LARGER caliber weapons that are suppressed I would suggest you do so. SO MANY people think from shows like "Sons of guns" you can suppress a large calliber weapon to sound like they do in the movies, IT AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN !!!!!!! Reduce the report ? Sure, but when it comes to 300's or 308's being supressed I would have to see it to believe it making any SUBSTANTIAL difference. I VERY WELL could be wrong, but physics don't lie.
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
Sailfish

Default 308 ???

A suppressor will not work on a 308. As in...you will not gain anything. IMO a suppressor should be used in conjunction with a subsonic traveling bullet.

Now with the Whisper it is completely appropriate. I have two friends that shoot the Whisper. They stay subsonic with the 220gr bullets. That, with a "can" works great. It will still kill deer at the closer ranges. The absolute best action to have in a Whisper is a single shot. I can't imagine the Whisper being able to blow back a AR action sufficiently to strip and re-chamber a round.

I have never owned a Whisper so I am no authority on this. --- SAWMAN
SAWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
A suppressor will not work on a 308. As in...you will not gain anything. IMO a suppressor should be used in conjunction with a subsonic traveling bullet.
. --- SAWMAN
That was my thoughts exactly about the sub-sonic aspect. But hen again I could be wrong!
Miami Matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
Sailfish

I dont know anything about suppressors but isnt the bullpup in the this thread a suppressed .308? does the suppressor hurt the ballistics? I'm curious... does the suppressor just suppress or reduce the report? thanks..

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...gunshow-98488/
no woryz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
A suppressor will most certainly work on .308 rifles. While a suppressor certainly works better with sub sonic ammo, thanks to not having a sonic boom, a good one will definitely suppress the sound coming from any cartridge no matter if the bullet is super sonic or sub sonic. When I was gunsmithing I had a customer in Birmingham, AL that used a suppressed Remington LTR in .308 for night time urban deer hunts, sometimes just yards away from peoples back yards.

You will still hear the crack of the sonic boom from the bullet but the noise made from the expelling gasses is greatly reduced and nearly eliminated all together. The better suppressors work well enough to not need hearing protection with either types of ammo in .308 class cartridges.

BTW, you can easily buy sub sonic .308 ammo from several different manufacturers.

Here is a youtube video demonstrating a Gemtech TPR-S with super sonic and and super sonic ammo. IMO it doesn't work too well with either ammo.

Here is another youtube video that shows how a good suppressor should work. The last shot from the guy in the tan shirt is suppose to be a super sonic round. Both rifles are .308.

Here's another .308 shooting a suppressed .308 with all rounds being super sonic.

And another shooting both types of ammo.
Washington is playing their ignorant and ill-informed constituency like an organ grinder plays his monkey. The monkey shuts up and does what he's told, as long as he gets his banana. There is no difference in Washington. They squander the blood sweat and tears of the hard working, tax paying Americans and lie to them when they're caught. Needing their ever-increasing supply of bananas, the trained monkeys will continue to dance for their bananas.

Last edited by bigbulls; 09-27-2011 at 01:32 AM.
bigbulls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Matt View Post
But hen again I could be wrong!
I stand corrected!
Miami Matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

A buddy of mine is big into suppressors......He will only buy the Gemtec name!!! We have played with them over here, and I love shooting 1 but can't validate the $$$ to put 1 on any of my firearms.....Not to mention you open your home up to GOVERNMENT then....
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
Sailfish

Quote:
Not to mention you open your home up to GOVERNMENT then....
Not if you do a "trust" and have the items located in the "office" of the trust...
The Firing Line has an EXTENSIVELY utilized NFA section with tons of guys loaded with gobs of true info...
http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4
The above is the link directly to that section for ya'll to peruse...

Brent
Old 09-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
White Marlin

Send a message via Yahoo to TURTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisName View Post
I am considering buying this suppressor in the morning. any thoughts on the brand? good deal?
it will fit my LR308 for now but looking for a 300 Whisper also
thoughts ? recommendations? experience with this company?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=253322113

I know I will paying $200 to the Gov. to own it.
I'm in the same boat and want to get one for the AK's which if threaded right ( 14mmccw) I think on mine the 7.62 NATO would work size wise. Is the 5/8x24 a standard thread for AR's or is it a custom pattern? All mine are 1/2x28.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in