snubbie vote - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 08-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Grouper

Default snubbie vote

in sept. im buying a new snubbie 357 for c.c. not spending more than 350$ im looking at three, taurus and charter arms, and EAA.. im not a huge fan of taurus, but i dont hate them. im not real familier with charter arms or EAA. i know EAA makes great semi autos but ive heard mixed reviews about their revolvers..i like the 605 taurus and the CA Mag Pug and the EAA Windicator.

i guess i could throw the lcr in but its over budget.

opinions and facts!
aaronious45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Sailfish

I'd go for the EAA Windicator. It is German -made, feels good in the hand and has a decent trigger out of the box. The only drawback to the one I gave my older brother so he'd have a firearm -- is the crown (or lack thereof). These get imported with the barrel extending through the sleeve (longer than the snubbie it is intended to be) in order to gain enough "points" for import. Once they reach Florida, the barrel is cut-off to the shroud length, making the snubbie. Unfortunately, all of them that I have seen looked like a very rough cut. A gunsmith could put a proper crown on it for you -- and it would make a nice CCW. Check with glassplus if you get one -- I expect that he can do the crown work for you.
scubapro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Grouper

Does the crown make a difference in accuracy?

Know any shops that carry them so I can handle one first?
aaronious45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
Sailfish

The crown can effect accuracy - but probably not enough to notice at self defense distances out of a snubby. Mine just looked rough - and was sharp enough to cut you if you ran the tip of your finger over it.

I got mine at Gander Mountain in St. Augustine. I've seen a vendor selling them at the FWB gun show too. If you decide to get one - get the 357 and not the 38 Special. I don't think the frame is steel in the 38 special model.
scubapro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
Sailfish

I don't know a thing about the EAA but the charters are good reliable revolvers that are 100% made in the USA and have a lifetime warranty. They aren't pretty like a Smith but they are solid revolvers. I've shot a few charters and they all performed well. For CC I would choose their off duty DAO hammerless.
Washington is playing their ignorant and ill-informed constituency like an organ grinder plays his monkey. The monkey shuts up and does what he's told, as long as he gets his banana. There is no difference in Washington. They squander the blood sweat and tears of the hard working, tax paying Americans and lie to them when they're caught. Needing their ever-increasing supply of bananas, the trained monkeys will continue to dance for their bananas.
bigbulls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
Snapper

Spend a little more and get a Ruger SP101.

The brands you listed are junk.
Gravity3694 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #7
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
Blue Marlin

I've got a sp101, and a Taurus 605, as well as a 2inch model19 smith. The smith is by far the better of the three, I like the 605 over the ruger. The recoil on the Taurus is the best of the three and it is a pretty nice gun. Unless you can find an ole school model 19, my vote would be for the 605...

Last edited by MULLET HUNTER; 08-15-2012 at 12:34 AM.
MULLET HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #8
sj1
Trigger

Default In my limited experience:

Taurus revolvers are not junk. I have owned two UltraLite .38 Specials. I have complete confidence in the one I carry, or leave at home with my wife. I've put hundreds of rounds through both of mine, and have never had a problem. That includes shotshells for snakes, and the heaviest hollow points, or fast, light target loads. In the same cylinder, sometimes.
That being said, I have never owned a Taurus .357 magnum. If the .357's are built like the .38's, then that would be my choice, for the money.
That's all I can offer. I've never shot a EAA, or Charter Arms.
I have owned a Ruger SP101, and it was the absolute best defensive handgun I've ever carried. I did do some customizing, and it did have some issues out of the box. I've never owned a S&W, so I can't compare those higher priced guns with each other. But for the price you've stated, again, I have to go with Taurus.
Best of luck with your choice,
sj1
sj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
Snapper

Maybe I'm a little biased, but most of my experience with Taurus has been with broken model 85s and .22lr revolvers at a shooting range I work at. The model 85 had a broken cylinder and a busted SA sear.

I do admit that these guns had significantly higher round counts than most users will ever put through them in a lifetime. However, if a firearm can't withstand a high round count and not fall apart I don't want it or trust it. You get what you pay for and Taurus doesn't past muster with me.
Gravity3694 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
Grouper

I look at resell on guns that I buy. Colt, S&W or Sig will return the money you spent if not more. Others is just a crapshoot. I would not carry a snubbie in 357. It kicks the snot out of one's hand. If you get the larger frame gun then you defeat the ease of carrying. I bought the wife a S&W 642 last year and even though its only P+, its more than enough to do the job and in the $350 price range
TheCaptKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in