Ruger Mini 30 Discussion and Tips - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 02-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
White Marlin

Default Ruger Mini 30 Discussion and Tips

Any one using the Ruger Mini 30 and 7.62x39 ammo for hunting? I call it my Semi auto 30-30 and have 1/2" groups at 50yds and 1" at 100. It is scoped and buffered with a MoRod strut to keep the barrel whip down, seems to have worked. The cheap ammo that runs in the AK and SKS does not work on the Ruger Mini 30 but the Golden Bear SP at 125gr has had no FTF or FTE after 200 rounds, so I stocked up at $120ish for 500 rounds.

This is a hunting rifle for carry in the brush and my go to gun under 150 yards, no dirt clod shooter. For links on magazines, struts, buffers, just ask...Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Ruger Mini 30 Discussion and Tips-min2-jpg   Ruger Mini 30 Discussion and Tips-mini1-jpg   Ruger Mini 30 Discussion and Tips-mini3-jpg   Ruger Mini 30 Discussion and Tips-mini4-jpg   Ruger Mini 30 Discussion and Tips-30-strut-jpg  

Ruger Mini 30 Discussion and Tips-30-strut1-jpg  

Last edited by FrankwT; 02-15-2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: add pics
FrankwT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
Sailfish

Send a message via Yahoo to kaferhaus

You've got one in a thousand if you're getting those groups Frank.

I've owned dozens of Mini's over the years and only one gave acceptable accuracy and that was after several hundred dollars of work.

Even the newer heavier barrel models are mediocre at best.

So hold on to that puppy!
kaferhaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaferhaus View Post
You've got one in a thousand if you're getting those groups Frank.

I've owned dozens of Mini's over the years and only one gave acceptable accuracy and that was after several hundred dollars of work.

Even the newer heavier barrel models are mediocre at best.

So hold on to that puppy!
+1
I'd hold on to that one for sure, you got a good one. Most shoot a baseball size group at best.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
White Marlin

Well the Sawman and I got 2 of the new 581 models and stabilized with the strut and the right ammo it seems both are doing it. Ruger just might have an accurate and fun shooter here. Now all I need to do its try it out on deer/hog/yotes, anyone have a place for a test???I''l even let you try it!lol
Old 02-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Sailfish

Send a message via Yahoo to kaferhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankwT View Post
Well the Sawman and I got 2 of the new 581 models and stabilized with the strut and the right ammo it seems both are doing it. Ruger just might have an accurate and fun shooter here. Now all I need to do its try it out on deer/hog/yotes, anyone have a place for a test???I''l even let you try it!lol
I glad you got a couple of them shooting well.

but you still had to add "accessories" to a 700 dollar rifle to get it to shoot...

I really like the design, but they've gotten so expensive that you can buy a AR for the same money... and a run of the mill AR is going to shoot a inch or better at 100yds.

I passed on a really good deal on one of the new ones in 6.8 because I shot it first...
kaferhaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
White Marlin

$700? with the scope and strut and buffer I have less that that invested and for a very accurate semi auto I am pleased.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
Mingo

What kind of buffers are you running?

I've got a Wilson Combat buffer on the way, I hope to try it out this weekend. I've heard of people running a 1911 buffer between the gas block, and the bolt carrier also.

After I run mine a while, the trigger group sometimes wants to open up on recoil. I'm going to see if the buffer will help this out. The bolt carrier seems to hit the frame a lot harder than the Mini-14.
theshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
White Marlin

I got the Buffer Technologies Mini14/30 buffer, shaved it down with a Dremel to get it thin enough(about 1/4 off), then sanded it flat, works great(the 1911 will work shaved too). Have not had your trigger group problem and will eventually get a trigger job on it. The strut is the biggest thing I did for accuracy, I choose the MoRod(shown in the pics), great customer service from them and www.Sunflowerammo.com. There is also an Accu strut and a Har bar.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #9
Topwater Bluefish fan
Sailfish

My Mini-30 shoots 2'' or less @100 yrds depending on what brand ammo . It likes Silver Bear soft points and American Eagle especially .

I like to take my time while shooting for groups because that pencil-thin barrel heats up quick !

Sent my trigger group at Action Arms , really made a big difference .
Baitcaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
White Marlin

Baitcaster, is yours a 581 tapered barrel? The strut will tighten your grouping by 1/2 and will help dissipate the heat faster from the barrel. Go to the website I listed above and read about it if you have not had a chance to look into them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in