Rhino 40 ds ? Anyone have or shot this? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 10-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
White Marlin

Send a message via Yahoo to TURTLE
Default Rhino 40 ds ? Anyone have or shot this?

I'm thinking about getting on of these and just wanted some input. Looks like a good way for the wife to have 357 power without the kick.
Attached Images

TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Snapper

Seems like scubapro had one for sale not long ago. I think his was the white rhino though. Might try to do a search through the classifieds on here to see if he still has it available. Give us a range report if you end up with one. I am curious about them as well.
FowlHunter13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
Sailfish

Yes, I sold my 40DS (actually traded it to Miles at Tradewinds - he may still have it for sale) - but I still have a 50DS. It is one of the most comfortable and accurate revolvers I've ever owned. Shooting full power Magnum loads feels like you're shooting 38 wadcutters. Shooting 38 Specials feels like you're shooting 22 rimfire...

If you'd like to let the wife try it out, send me a PM with your contact info and I'll let you borrow it.
scubapro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
Sailfish

Here's a report I wrote up after using the Rhino in a revolver class under Randy Cain at Southern Exposure Training:

Quote:
As always, Randy's revolver class was a good time -- and excellent training to improve trigger control on any handgun. I'm typically the winder licker in any class that I take at Southern Exposure - in part because I usually have an oddball firearm in use (HK P7M8 in TH101s, lefty-ejecting AR in the carbine courses, etc.). Rather than disappoint, I packed up a Chiappa Rhino 50DS (5" barrel) "upside down" revolver for the class. Finding suitable leather was difficult at first, but I stumbled upon a custom holster on e-bay to solve that problem. It wasn't a Del Fatti in quality -- but it served the desired purpose.

I previously had run a box of 38 Special and a box of 357 Magnum through the revolver -- so I knew it wasn't going to instantly self-destruct, but I wasn't completely confident that it would make it through a 500-600 round two-day course without some type of failure. It turns out the only failure of any sort occurred on the second day, when I decided to run a cylinder of very hot Corbon Pow'Rball 357 Magnum loads through the gun without cleaning it from the previous day's shooting of 38 Special. The cases stuck so strongly that there was no way to eject them by hand. Russ had to break out the rawhide mallet and a dowel to drive them out.

Therefore, overall -- I was very pleased with the asthetically challenged revolver. The trigger pull for both Double Action and Single Action was surprisingly acceptable compared to the horror stories that I had read on the first production run of the Rhino 20DS's. The 5" barrel balanced very nicely, and the black on black sights worked very well - even during speed drills. Accuracy was very good - even this winderlicker was able to get consistent nice groups (you know - the ones where Randy looks at the target, then whips his head around to see who did the shooting with an approving stare...). Like the Dan Wessons of yesteryear - The Rhino has a shrouded barrel that is threaded into the frame and then secured at the muzzle with a nut. This places the barrel under tension. As such, the inherent accuracy is better because of improved barrel harmonics during firing.

The most noticable attribute to the revolver was reduced felt recoil. Even with the hottest magnum loads, there was no appreciable muzzle rise. Lowering the bore axis that small distance, along with the less than attractive ergonomic grip causes the recoil forces to be transferred straight down the bones of the arm - rather an rotating the wrist bones with a traditional revolver. Shooting Gerogia Arms 38 Special reloads felt like shooting a rimfire handgun, and the full power 357 Magnum loads felt similar to 38 Wadcutters in a K-frame Smith & Wesson.

Would I use this as a defensive handgun? Personally, no. I'll stick to my chosen auto-loaders -- but even the 5" barrel model used in this course wasn't very heavy. And, the slab-sided cylinder would aid in concealment for the shorter barreled models. However, I could see the 5 and 6-inch models being used as field/woods guns - or possibly to hunt small game. The 50DS has a rail below the muzzle, whereas the 60DS has the same rail on the bottom - as well as a rail on the top, suitable for mounting optics.

At the end of the course, when Russ was going through the detail assembly and cleaning of the S&Ws - I gave the Rhino a good ceaning and inspection. I didn't remove the sideplate - but I could find no noticable wear points on the external surface of the revolver. There was an extremely faint turn ring on the cylinder, but the locking notches were still sharp with no wear of peening.

Overall, I am very pleased with my ugly Italian acquisition. It was certainly worth the $700 and change that I have in it. If they introduce the Rhino chambered in 40 S&W as announced - I will pick one up and ream the chambers to accept 10mm Auto. I should also say that these appear to be "hit or miss", as I bought a "White Rhino 40DS" at the same time and it had issues with the trigger linkage out of the box without firing a shot. It went back to the factory twice, before being traded off for something else. So, if you choose to add a Rhino to your stable - try to compare a couple at the same time in the store with regards to trigger pull and overall materials and workmanship.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Sailfish

Get up with Scubapro I know he has one or had i Think
davdoc0011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
Sailfish

whoops lol
davdoc0011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubapro View Post
Yes, I sold my 40DS (actually traded it to Miles at Tradewinds - he may still have it for sale) - but I still have a 50DS. It is one of the most comfortable and accurate revolvers I've ever owned. Shooting full power Magnum loads feels like you're shooting 38 wadcutters. Shooting 38 Specials feels like you're shooting 22 rimfire...

If you'd like to let the wife try it out, send me a PM with your contact info and I'll let you borrow it.
I guess I held your White Rhino the other day at Miles place. That thin was very comfortable and I want to get it but he's up there on the price. PM me what he gave you for it if you don't mind. Whats a 50DS?
Old 11-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubapro View Post

I'm confused now. The 40DS shoots both 357 and 38 so is the only difference that the 50 DS has 6 round cylinder?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
Sailfish

The 40DS has a 4" barrel. The 50DS is 5" and the 60DS is a 6"... The original 20DS is the snubby. All are 38/357 and have a 6-round cylinder. Speed loaders for an L-frame S&W revolver will work with the Rhinos.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in