Remington 770 vs Mossy 100 ATR - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 09-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Remington 770 vs Mossy 100 ATR

any opinions on either?
the Mossy has my vote, but that is based on the almost 1lb weight difference and nothing else. coworker taking me hunting for hogs. never hunted before. said i could use his .270 but the $300 combo price tag on these at Academy has me itching. would like to buy something that would stop a hog, or a deer. something that will last till i get some real experience.
thoughts?
no_boundaries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Location: PC Fl., Orange Bch, Eufaula Al., Lake Seminole Ga. , Camden Al.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but neither.

Remington downgraded the Remington Arms Company when it produced the Model 710, which was one of the poorest built firearms in Remington's history, and as well one of the poorest built firearms in History period. It was so poorly built that Remington had to discontinue it and the replacement is the Model 770.

The Mossberg ATR is the better of the two you mentioned but not by alot.

What I would suggest is adding a $100.00 or maybe a little more and looking around for a used Rifle such as a Browning A-Bolt, Ruger M77, Winchester Model 70 or Remington 700 ADL/BDL or Remington Model 7. There have been several of the above mentioned Rifles posted for sale on here (PFF) for not much more than what you would pay for either of the two you mentioned.

A couple of weeks ago I asked a Pawn Shop owner how much he gives as Pawn on a Remington Model 710? He replied that he hates to take one in, but normally offers $50.00 and no more. Being completely honest, I wouldn't give $50.00 for one. The 770 might be an inch ahead of the 710, but it's only an inch at best.

Good Luck, and I know I didn't answer your question the way you asked for it to be answered, but I do hope this helps you reconsider.

Last edited by Garbo; 09-05-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Garbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Kazadius Quantarious
Grouper

Honestly, they are both bottom of the barrel package guns, if you go the used route, you can get a much better rifle for around the same amount (the scopes that come with them are very cheap)

I have a couple of nice bushnell scopes I am selling for half of what they retail and they are new, the main thing is the scopes that come with the package guns are really low end

you could go with the simple mossberg maverick and get a decent scope

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st..._-1?N=39632024

or spend a little more and get a rem 700 used

I made the mistake of buying a rem 770, it had virtually no resale value, had to take a $100 loss to get rid of it to upgrade to a rem 700

(p.s the Bushnell 3-9x40 scope i am selling retails for over $100 and has an illuminated recticle, green/red, its only for sale until tuesday i have a dealer willing to buy it for my asking price of $60.00, if intrested let me know)
saku39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
White Marlin

I have the Mossberg ATR chambered in .270

It has been a great weapon so far. I dropped two deer with it last season, It held a very nice zero all season and no problems at all. It doesn't take a $600 rifle to kill an animal!!!!
www.southagain.com
www.pensacolafishcharters.com
[email protected]
Inshore/Nearshore Charters
Brad King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
Sailfish

Default Starter Gun,Kill A Hog Or Deer ???

Take a look at the NEF Handi Rifles. Numerous chamberings,money saved with weapon,invest in some decent glass. --- SAWMAN
SAWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

Location: PC Fl., Orange Bch, Eufaula Al., Lake Seminole Ga. , Camden Al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
Take a look at the NEF Handi Rifles. Numerous chamberings,money saved with weapon,invest in some decent glass. --- SAWMAN

If you are planning on staying in the price range you mentioned this is some good advise.

Good Firearms have a tendency to hold their value, and a NE Handi Rifle will most often sell for what you bought it for. Both the Model 770 and the ATR will be worth alot less once you buy either one of them, as already mentioned in this very thread.

If you watch and shop around you can find something you can be proud of for not much more than what you would have to pay to be upside down in a Model 770 or ATR.

Garbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Save your money and use your buddy's rifle until you make up your mind. I picked up the youth model of the ATR for my boy. I have no complaints with the rifle. Straight shooting, good groups, but I also have very realistic expectations. I think it is fine starter rifle, but would recommend saving the money and going step up. I shoot a Winchester Model 70 (7mm Rem Mag), and it isn't much more expensive than what you are looking at but it is a
much better rifle. Good luck with the hunt and the search, and remember truthfully you can't have too many rifles.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
Auburn Grad - 1999
White Marlin

For that price range in a combo rifle look at a savage. The cheapest savage is better than bot those mentioned. They have a new one out that has gotten good reviews and very affordable...I think its called a AXIS or something like that.
Grassflatsfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
White Marlin

It kills me everytime I see a thread like this bashing the remington 710. I bought one when they were first made when I was 13 and I still use it today with great success. One inch if not stacking them on each other at 200 yards. Killed a doe at 389 yards when I was 19 with it and still dropping deer to this day. Maybe I got lucky and got the one decent one they built.

IMO the 770 sucks because the butt of the stock is hollow and it will kick the fire out of you. The ATR is a nice gun for a beginner if your not used to shooting and don't want to drop a lot of money to shoot. It is an all around decent gun to me.
deersniper270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassflatsfisher View Post
For that price range in a combo rifle look at a savage. The cheapest savage is better than bot those mentioned. They have a new one out that has gotten good reviews and very affordable...I think its called a AXIS or something like that.
Younger brother bought one of the savages in the grass camo. Idk how much he paid (like 400-475) but he loves it. It has the accutrigger though which can throw you off so make sure you check that too if you don't want one with an accutrigger.
deersniper270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in