This old .22 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By Boardfeet

Old 03-03-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
White Marlin

Default This old .22

Bought this gun about 20 years ago from a friend and neighbor. He was a retired Boston police officer. He told me when he was on the force, most all his fellow officers used this pistol to qualify because it is really easy to shoot and incredibly accurate.
Today I got curious about this gun and started lookin around the internet. I was amazed to find it was a limited production run commissioned by a California gun broker named Philip Bekeart.
It is a .22 on a .32 frame manufactured between 1911 and 1942
They sell for around $1000.00 with an exceptional example selling recently for just over $2500.00.
Mine is in better condition than most I found for sale and has a custom holster by HHHeiser Denver CO.
From what I’ve read it is capable of 1 1/2” groups at 50 yards. In a vice of course.
I had no idea this thing was that rare and valuable.
If I remember correctly, I paid $300.00 for it, and thought that was way too much at the time. Just thought I’d share.
Attached Thumbnails
This old .22-98243eea-6072-4145-895f-93d52e6cf67b-jpg   This old .22-3a7d8877-3589-4d79-995c-b9619d15b5fe-jpg   This old .22-5efdb97b-2192-4f0b-b9af-50823997b238-jpg   This old .22-727b9eb5-a0bd-4439-89a0-7c3d12cf9639-jpg  
Snagged Line, joebuck, DLo and 3 others like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Very cool pistol with a great history.
"Don't sweat the petty stuff.... and never pet the sweaty stuff."
-------
"Don't get rid of a boat that's paid for or a woman that cooks, no matter what they look like."
-------
"The lower your standards the luckier you get"
-------
"I tried to make it to the nipple, but just got the elbow."
hjorgan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #3
Trigger

S&W K Frame Have 22 and 38 in it
The Hired Hand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #4
White Marlin

Been trying to date the gun by the serial#
Can’t seem to find a chart. I understand I can request a letter from S&W. SN 472196

http://oldsteelguns.com/home/1675-sm...p-bekeart.html

The advertised Gun says it is pre1934
My serial number is lower than the gun in the link

Last edited by Boardfeet; 03-03-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Boardfeet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2019, 11:40 AM   #5
White Marlin

http://sportsmansvintagepress.com/re...ector-bekeart/

These are not the modern K frame pistols. They are hand ejector models made pre WWII
More info in the link on Bekeart S&W pistols
Old 03-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #6
White Marlin

Incentive for the next development in small hand guns came from outside the Smith & Wesson plant. Phil B. Bekeart was a San Francisco firearms dealer and for some time prior to 1908 he had been urging the firm to produce a heavier type of .22 revolver. He granted that the small .22 then being put out was a nice plaything for shooting at tin cans, but he wanted something that would compare in accuracy with the .22 single-shot pistols.

When asked to be more specific, Mr. Bekeart suggested that the lines and design of the hand-ejector .32 be used as the foundation for a gun to shoot the .22 long rifle cartridge. All that needed to be done was to take a .32 barrel blank and a .32 cylinder blank and bore, rifle and chamber for the smaller caliber, with appropriately reduced extractor and a hammer geared to rim fire cartridges and hitch them to a frame as then constructed. The firm thought it over and may have built an experimental model or two; then the report was made that it would be an expensive undertaking and did Mr. Bekeart believe that the demand for the new gun would justify putting it in production?

Smith & Wesson 22-32 bekeart roper stocks
Model .22/32 (Bekeart) Roper stocks.
Mr. Bekeart was so sure that he ordered a thousand of them at the prevailing rate to dealers with the understanding that he would pay for them as the demand increased. This clinched the deal and in due course of time Mr. Bekeart received his thousand .22/32 revolvers. That was around 1908, according to Colonel Hatcher, but, production on a larger scale did not begin until June, 1911.

The Bekeart model, designed for target shooting, is fitted with adjustable sights. Known officially as the .22/32 Heavy Frame Target Revolver, it has a flat face hammer which strikes a firing pin, and which in turn hits the cartridge at the top. The tang is cut near the butt to make a shoulder for extended square butt wood stocks of sufficient size to make a mansize grip. It is made only in a 6-inch barrel and in blued finish, but you have your choice of square butt, extended length stocks, or stocks similar to those on the .22 Perfected Model Single Shot Pistol. Its 23-ounce weight was considered adequate for a .22 up to recent years.

It is fitted with a Patridge sight and a square-notch adjustable rear sight. Up to a few years ago it was advertised to group in a 2 1/2-inch circle at 50 yards, but it now groups in a 1 1/2-inch circle at that distance due to improvements in cartridges—in a machine rest, of course. It is a six-shooter but is not designed for hi-speed cartridges.

Collectors need not look for a Bekeart revolver with a low serial number, for they were numbered with the .32 hand-ejector model which already had a good start when the .22 was first produced.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:26 PM   #7
White Marlin

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-han...#post140371595

Smith and Wesson forum was very informative
Old 03-13-2019, 10:08 AM   #8
Sailfish

Very cool pistol
specktackler57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #9
Sailfish

What a neat story and pistol ... Man, I love stuff like this! Thanks for sharing!
joebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in