Need recs on a shotgun an rifle - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 05-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Grouper

Default Need recs on a shotgun an rifle

Hey all. Thought I'd take a break from fishing and get into hunting this next year. Haven't done this since I was a kid and have a buddy that has permission to hunt in AL and invited me to go this next year and think its for deer, turkey, pig, etc. what be a good somewhat economical rec for both? Looking to stay under $1k total for both. Would like a versatile rifle for most game and woud prefer the shotgun to be semi-auto. Appreciate any insight I can get. Thanks.

Jason
Bigkidneys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
White Marlin

I picked up a barely used H&R Excel semi auto 3 inch this last year and I absolutely love it. I hasn't jammed once with big loads or small loads, and the choke tunes are super easy to change. I have killed squirrel, rabbit, various birds, but didn't get a shot at a turkey with it this year. It patterned very well for it though. It's only around $300 used, giving you some room for the rifle. For the rifle I'd get a good used 270, big enough to comfortably take down anything around here(except maybe bears), and small enough that it won't multilate it. You can find some VERY good deals at pawn shops on both of these style firearms.
SouthAlabamaSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Your mom's a
Grand Slam

A new Savage Axis (rifle/scope combo) in any caliber is roughly $400. Add a Mossberg 500 for about $300 and you're set.
JoeZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Low speed, low drag.
Grand Slam

Pick up a Remington 870 and one of the Savage rifle combo's in 308, 270 or whatever floats your boat. Take a look at the gulfcoast gun forum as well. Lot of weaponry for sale there.

Mike
grouper22 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Grouper

Appreciate the info guys. A lot of info on the net and a lot of people say a 308 is a really good all around gun. I'll ever shoot moose or crap like that as everything will be in the South. Is 308 overkill for that?
Old 05-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

A .308 is not the best caliber to hunt with unless you understand the ballistics of it at range.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigkidneys View Post
Appreciate the info guys. A lot of info on the net and a lot of people say a 308 is a really good all around gun. I'll ever shoot moose or crap like that as everything will be in the South. Is 308 overkill for that?
I would say so. Highest I think I would shoot is a 30-06, but if I wanted an all around gun, .270 would do it for me.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
Grouper

Sweet. I guess 270 it is for the rifle. Is ammo a bitch to find for it? Always had guns and ammo supplied to me thanks to the Navy but now I have to buy it, it flat out sucks! Now about the scatter gun, what would be a good non pump one? All I see right now on shelves in shot so maybe I should stock up on some now rather than wait?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigkidneys View Post
Sweet. I guess 270 it is for the rifle. Is ammo a bitch to find for it? Always had guns and ammo supplied to me thanks to the Navy but now I have to buy it, it flat out sucks! Now about the scatter gun, what would be a good non pump one? All I see right now on shelves in shot so maybe I should stock up on some now rather than wait?
Rifle ammo isn't nearly as bad as pistol or 22. Shotgun ammo has gone up in price, but hasn't had a shortage.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
Grouper

Great. I recently took a Ruger 10/22 on trade that the PO went all tactical with. Looks close to an M4 but yet to get to a range and have fun with it. Have 700 rounds waiting to put through it. Sometimes living on the Key sucks. Wish I could shoot in my backyard like some of you! Also picked up my first handgun and itching to shoot that too. I think this gun thing had bitten me worse than the fishing bit...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in