Muzzle Brakes? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 08-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Muzzle Brakes?

Looking to buy a brake for my 7mmSTW. Damn thing seems to kick more the older it gets. Was told to look at the Vais Brake at Rick Rankin's shop. Does anyone know pros or cons?
Tungoil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Yes, there is greater recoil with wear and the passing of time. ( mine does also)
If you put a Muzzle on it,.... better have good ear protection.
Emerald Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Muzzle brakes are really LOUD, but they work. Muffs AND ear plugs are recommended. You might try a past recoil pad for your shoulder.
skipperbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
Trigger

Default Muzzle Brake

Pitty those at the gun range with you. On a recent visit to Styx the fellow a couple of slots from us had a brake. All vacated and stood behind him when it looked like he was going to bust off a few rounds. Awefull concussion/wave from that thing. We stopped half a dozen times to run behind him.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Default you should try it with a .50 BMG!

I saw a full Miller Lite fly past me. It wasn't until the third one hit the ground that I figured it out. DON'T START. The 'drinker' was not shooting and this was at a private, country, shooting range. The backblast was awsome..............blew the mans beer off the neighboring bench one by one till he saw the last one hit the ground.
Tungoil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
Esteemed Member
Trigger

I have a brake on my AK, it does well to corral the muzzle rise, but as the fellow above said (might have been me at styx), it is rather obnoxious to others at the range. But, gunshots themselves are obnoxious. There are some really good high priced brakes that also double as flash hiders, spend the money and get one of those. One thing, if you ever plan on shooting prone, don't get a brake that has any ports on the bottom of the brake, it will kick up a major dust cloud and you will look like Pigpen every time you shoot.
Cola Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
Sailfish

There are other things I would do to a rifle before I put one of those damned brakes on it. They are damn loud, even on relatively mild cartridges, so be prepared to wear hearing protection in the woods while you are with it especially considering you are doing it to a 7mm STW. They have gobs of muzzle blast any way.

It will also add 1.5 - 2 inches of barrel length to your rifle. You could cut the barrel shorter but that would really defeat the purpose of having an 7mm STW in the first place.

I would rather add a mercury recoil reducer or two or a Sims recoil pad, and possibly sell the rifle if you aren't shooting 700+ yards on a regular basis and look at something like a .280.
Washington is playing their ignorant and ill-informed constituency like an organ grinder plays his monkey. The monkey shuts up and does what he's told, as long as he gets his banana. There is no difference in Washington. They squander the blood sweat and tears of the hard working, tax paying Americans and lie to them when they're caught. Needing their ever-increasing supply of bananas, the trained monkeys will continue to dance for their bananas.
bigbulls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 01:19 AM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

I would not put one on. I had a 300 mag. with a muzzle brake but it was way too loud. I would put a good recoil pad on it or sell it.
jdrph270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
Sailfish

Default Years Ago.......

.......I shot a 7STW Ruger #1 with a heavy bbl that had a JP Brake on it. I shot probably 6 shots. The recoil was similar to a medium loaded 308Win. AND.....NO muzzle rise. Bullet was a 175gr NosPart IIRC. --- SAWMAN
SAWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in