Last range trip for seating depth - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RMS

Old 04-24-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Last range trip for seating depth

Did one last range trip for seating depth because the last time I went .020" and also .040" off the lands looked promising. So this time decided to .020", .025", .030", .035", and .040" with five shot groups and it looks like .020" is the promising load. The 5th shot i pulled the dang thing. But measuring the four shot group center to center measure .371". Now time to play around with powder charge. Of course if I don't find anything else I'll revert back to this load. I'm assuming the 45.8 grains has the load pushing 2650-2700fps but won't know until I shoot it through the chrono.
Attached Thumbnails
Last range trip for seating depth-capture-png  
Brandon_SPC2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2017, 07:22 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Brandon,
Why no closer than .020?

I've read a lot lately about precision shooting and the closer the better. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that group, I'd thrilled with a group like that!

But just from what I'm reading you might be able to tighten up that group. I just loaded some that are .005 off on my 6.5-06 to see how it does.

BTW-great shooting!
Old 04-24-2017, 07:40 PM   #3
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnC View Post
Brandon,
Why no closer than .020?

I've read a lot lately about precision shooting and the closer the better. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that group, I'd thrilled with a group like that!

But just from what I'm reading you might be able to tighten up that group. I just loaded some that are .005 off on my 6.5-06 to see how it does.

BTW-great shooting!
It depends on the type of bullet. One that has a Tangent Ogive (So a nosler BT, Hornady SST) will be less sensitive to seating depth. One with a Secant Ogive (Like a Berger VLD, Warner Flatline) will be more sensitive to seating depth which in general like being ran close to the lands if not touching. Of course their are hybrids which are a mix of the two.

I tried running the ELDs closer to the lands but the rifle prefers them .020 off. With a factory rifle like that I probably won't get anything tighter than that but if it is under .5 center to center I will be happy any tighter well that's great. The last shot was just human error. As soon as that shot was executed I knew I screwed up. And thanks I appreciate it.

Last edited by Brandon_SPC2; 04-24-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Brandon_SPC2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2017, 09:06 PM   #4
RMS
Grouper

Depends on your priorities, whether you are More towards a bench rest shooter or more of a hunter looking for overall performance.

Closer lessens bullet jump which can be good for accuracy but can raise pressures pressures significantly requiring a reduced powder charge and lower velocity resulting in more drop and less energy down range.
Brandon_SPC2 likes this.

Last edited by RMS; 04-24-2017 at 09:09 PM.
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in