Input about Zastava M70 (Mauser 98 action) in .308 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 09-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Input about Zastava M70 (Mauser 98 action) in .308

Sorry in advance for this long winded post...

I am planning to purchase 2 hunting rifles soon for myself and my 9yr son. I want a good rifle that he can hand down.
I want the same caliber and have decided on the .308. Actually, today I received several boxes of Remington Core-Lokt Managed Recoil 125 gr in .308...for my son to shoot. (A little hard to find.) And then go to full loads when he is ready.

A friend recommended to look at Zastava rifles as they have been making them for a long time and have the very reliable Mauser 98 action. He claims a very good deal for the money... They look good. http://www.zastava-arms.rs/

Imported by Century Int'l Firearms.

I am planning to get the M70 "Standard/Magnum" Bolt Action Rifle Monte Carlo Stock, Cal. .308 WIN. for myself
Link: http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=RI1978-N

and for my son the M70 "Standard/Magnum" Bolt Action Rifle Mannlicher Stock, Cal. .308 WIN. which is about 4" shorter.
Link: http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetai...prod=RI1978J-N
Probably get a Boyd's stock and modify as required for youth to fit his length of pull and cut the stock in several slices so that I can add pieces back as required. Maybe get lucky with a good fit on a slip on limb saver to hide the future shims... When he grows up re-install the original stock.

I have yet to find one of these rifles of any caliber in Pensacola and would really like to inspect before purchasing 2 of them.
I would appreciate any information about the quality, reliability, safety and finish of the Zastava rifles and in particular the M70 series as listed above.

Is my plan reasonable or do you have better advice?

Sincerely,
Andy
andym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

While I don't have any experience with the particular weapon mentioned, I have owned a few Zastava rifles. Zastava products are generally of very high quality and with a great degree of reliability. Along with CZ and Saiga, Zastava is one of the top firearms manufacturers in Eastern Europe. As long as you treat them right, they'll take care of you.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

I agree. Ive never seen this rifle in person either but the older Zastava stuff is always nice for a comm-bloc weapons manufacturer. Ive seen their new "sporter" AK and it really is well made a clean. I imagine that this rifle is just as good if not better then similar rifles sold by American companies in the same price range.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

I just went through this same excercise for my daughter. I finally purchased her the Savage Lady Hunter in 7mm-08. I really liked the Ruger compact, the Remington Model 7 and the Tikka T3 Lite. The Tikka has stock spacers to adjust the LOP.
Rickg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Trigger

I really like the look of the Zastava and perhaps it will be my next rifle purchase. If you buy one post a review.
Longbow14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

I took my first deer with a Tikka .308. Good smooth rifle. I have no problem with the safety but I am not crazy about a young hunter having to switch the safety off to remove a round in the chamber. Maybe they will develop a 3 position safety in the future.
Ruger compact is good rifle and like it alot. The Rem Model 7 was on my short list but the one at Mike's was much smaller than I expected so I marked it off.

I like the 7mm-08 over the .243.
When I learned of .308 managed recoil loads from Rem I am going with it for my son. When he is shooting standard loads there is ammo in any locale, many selections and usually decent prices.

If I get the Zastava M70 Monte Carlo and/or the Mannlicher I will definitely post a review to help others because I have spent countless hours trying to research it. Most reviews from outside USA.

If I get both rifles it is a little chunck of $$$. I want to spend wisely and save some for glass.

Thanks for all your input...
Old 09-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
Blue Marlin

Talking

For your glass go with trijicon accupoint... You will love the quality I have an IOR, meopta meostar, leupold, the trijicon smokes them all in low to no light scenarios... Sorry to rant but I can't wait to use mine.....
MULLET HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Mullet Hunter, those are quality sources you mention. I was lucky to have used friends IOR, Luepold and my uncles Trijicon. The Trijicon is fine and perception is that it has "night vision". Although I can't justify it for my 9yr old son's first rifle so I will probably settle on something like a Nikon Buckmaster or possibly Monarch if I can get a good deal. What do you recommend for under $350.00?
Old 09-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Give some consideration to putting an inexpensive $50-100 dollar scope on his rifle for his first couple of years. A broken Tasco hurts less than a broken Nikon. You can always upgrade after he gets a couple years under his belt.
Rickg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
have yet to find one of these rifles of any caliber in Pensacola and would really like to inspect before purchasing 2 of them.
There's a reason for this.

Quote:
I would appreciate any information about the quality, reliability, safety and finish of the Zastava rifles and in particular the M70 series as listed above.
I think you were in Mikes the other day and I talked to you about this. We carried the same Zastava rifles when Remington was importing them. They have gone through several importers and are now using Century. To say that they are rough as a cobb is pretty accurate. If you are looking at using the action to build a custom rifle and you are willing to have extensive work done to the action then they make good donor rifles. They aren't exactly a high quality rifle.

Quote:
Is my plan reasonable or do you have better advice?
You can buy what ever you like but you would be taking a huge leap down in quality from the youth Howa 1500 / Weatherby vanguard I suggested to you for your son and you won't find a higher quality rifle for the same money. There are few rifles under $1000 that are made as well as the Howa/vanguard.

They are built with flat bottom forged receivers that have a massive integral recoil lug, forged one piece bolts, three position safeties, M16 extractors, adjustable triggers, and Hogue stocks

Good luck with what ever you decide on.
Washington is playing their ignorant and ill-informed constituency like an organ grinder plays his monkey. The monkey shuts up and does what he's told, as long as he gets his banana. There is no difference in Washington. They squander the blood sweat and tears of the hard working, tax paying Americans and lie to them when they're caught. Needing their ever-increasing supply of bananas, the trained monkeys will continue to dance for their bananas.
bigbulls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
.308, m70, mauser 98, youth, zastava

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in