indoor range - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 09-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Trigger

Default indoor range

Just a thought stuck in my head. What would it entail to open a public indoor range for lets say #1 handguns only or maybe rimfire / handgun , or would it all be classified as the same.An indoor range with a totally differant type shooting. Have reseting steel in one lane , another where you could bust up bottles and cans , and so on. #2 a airgun only range , sales , rental , nice steel course, a gallery type arcade shooting range and maybe full auto renatls etc. Do you think there would be a following to support it? Could you maybe make it a club type setting to save on insurance? I don't know, just seems like it might work. I know I really get tired of shooting paper all the time, and with today's laws, you can't just step out into a field and blast away anymore.
TraderDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Grouper

probably couldnt do steel targets on an indoor range due to the bullets producing lead dust on impact as opposed to being obsorbed into rubber and sand..would be fun though. why did "The gun connection" shop and indoor range close?
aaronious45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

We looked into it 2 or 3 years ago and had a financial backer but there was one big thing that shot it down. Insurance was stupid rediculous, also the process with the EPA or DEP was nothing but a hassle. It takes a HUGE amount of up front money to get the correct setup with barriers and the right amount of exhaust and fresh air.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Wicked Awesome
Sailfish

Seems like it would be a great way to spend a rainy weekend, or take the kids to pop some can withan air rifle. Id be interested if it ever came to fruition.
OTTE*DA*WORM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Praedator
Grand Slam

One thing that I trully miss about living in Charleston, SC. We had 3 indoor ranges near by. All three were the major gun shops of the area. I have always wondered why the gun shops around here didn't operate an indoor range.

The local LE used the indoor ranges for training. CCW classes where held there. Everyone could rent a multitude of guns to try them out before buying. One shop was a class three dealer and you could rent full auto and use it on their range. Trying to start one from scratch I am sure is a nightmare. But why can't anyone convince the local shops to start one. Beyond my understanding.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Trigger

Default insurance

Insurance always seems to be the Red Flag, that's what I was wondering about a CLUB MEMBER senerio, would it help on the insurance part, but then it would cut down on revenue from public. I remember in the 80's when all the dangerous fun had you sign a waiver of sorts, I realize a lawer can rip thru a waiver but there must be a way around the insurance deal. Seems like the exaust fan should be doable
TraderDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

There used to be one on "W" street in Pensacola. I spent many days in there. They went out of business within a few years. It was a great place.

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
White Marlin

Wasn't there a thread not to long about that pawnshop is looking into bulilding one right now ???
jmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
Grouper

I'd use it.

I shot free pistol in a new range in Oklahoma many years ago. It had a pressurized viewing area to the rear of the firing line with a holed "plexiglass" picture window. The setup provided even flow of air straight downrange to the hood system.

I've shot air pistol and air rifle on a range in Texas that doubled as a bow range. No need for big ventilators in that setting.

I prefer outside for big bore stuff, though.

Joraca
Joraca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
Grand Slam

The Gun Connection on W Street had one as did The Pistol Parlor in Midway. There also used to be one on Town Street near Town and Country Plaza. (near Pace an Fairfield) There must be some reason they all closed. Probably as was stated earlier - insurance.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in