http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...est=latestnews

some decent news
ouija is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to feelin' wright

Too bad the senate will never even take it up. There should be a law that if one branch passes a bill the same bill needs to be taken up by the other body within 15 days.
feelin' wright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Snapper

I tend to side with the 'states rights' argument. I believe that such legislation is contrary to the rights and benefit of the state. The Federal government is too large now, it should not be given additional authority over the states. Once such a bill became law under the lure of allowing greater weapon carry ability, that same law could be used to limit those very rights. Seems like a slippery slope to me. Let the people of each state decide. When the people of each state have decided, then the people of the country have decided. If you don't like the decision of that state then MOVE.
Marine Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
Trigger

The NRA has been pushing it, but I have thought about the same thing that "Marine Scout" said. And is it really going to improve things much anyway. Most any state I would be travelling to accepts a Florida permit anyway. Will it change things much in states like Illinois, New York, and California?
JMSUN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine Scout View Post
I tend to side with the 'states rights' argument. I believe that such legislation is contrary to the rights and benefit of the state. The Federal government is too large now, it should not be given additional authority over the states. Once such a bill became law under the lure of allowing greater weapon carry ability, that same law could be used to limit those very rights. Seems like a slippery slope to me. Let the people of each state decide. When the people of each state have decided, then the people of the country have decided. If you don't like the decision of that state then MOVE.
+1....
Naby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
Esteemed Member
Trigger

Sounds good, but is dangerous ground.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
White Marlin

Il and DC were exempted from the law, we already have 33 or so states that honor FL and vice verse with various rules, I wounder if they will stay in place?
FrankwT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #8
Sailfish

It is definitely dangerous ground and we don't need the damn law in the first place.

Article 4 section 1 of the constitution already provides that all states shall honor all other states public acts, records, and judicial proceedings. If politicians were doing their jobs this bill wouldn't need to be introduced.

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

Even if Article 4, Section 1 were to be ruled not to apply to CCW's, the 2nd amendment clearly states that the right to KEEP and BEAR arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

To require a license to carry a side arm is an infringement on this right. When you have to apply for a license to do what is a right under the Constitution of the US it no longer remains a right but becomes a privilege regulated by the state. Having to have a FOID card in some states is an infringement. Handgun bans are an infringement. A ban on open carry is an infringement.
Washington is playing their ignorant and ill-informed constituency like an organ grinder plays his monkey. The monkey shuts up and does what he's told, as long as he gets his banana. There is no difference in Washington. They squander the blood sweat and tears of the hard working, tax paying Americans and lie to them when they're caught. Needing their ever-increasing supply of bananas, the trained monkeys will continue to dance for their bananas.
bigbulls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 01:56 AM   #9
Sailfish

HEre's what GOA had to say about it in an email alert.

Quote:
The House passed national concealed carry reciprocity legislation on Wednesday evening by a vote of 272-154.

The bill, H.R. 822, is intended to allow persons who hold a concealed carry permit from one state to also carry anywhere in the country, with the exception of Illinois and Washington, D.C.

Though the bill passed by a wide margin, it was not without controversy on the pro-gun side of the debate. In previous alerts, GOA has pointed out several flaws in the legislation:

It forces Vermont residents (who do not need a permit to carry) to either obtain an out-of-state permit or to push their state to pass a more restrictive concealed carry law than it now enjoys;
By requiring permits for reciprocity, the bill undermines efforts at the state level to pass constitutional carry (i.e., Vermont-style carry);
In restrictive “may issue” states, the bill allows for non-residents to carry firearms in the state while most residents would still be prohibited, and;
The bill is yet another example of Congress distorting of the Constitution’s Commerce Clause.

Representative Justin Amash (R-MI), who voted against the bill, addressed this last point in a statement, calling H.R. 822 “an unconstitutional bill that improperly applies the Commerce Clause to concealed carry licensing.”

Another freshman Representative, Rob Woodall (R-GA), noted that the right to carry a concealed firearm is already protected by the Second Amendment.

“If the Second Amendment protects my rights to carry my concealed weapon from state to state to state, I don’t need another federal law,” Rep. Woodall said. He went on to remind his colleagues of the original intent of the right to keep and bear arms.

“I don’t believe the Second Amendment was put in the Bill of Rights to allow me to shoot targets [or] hunt for deer and turkey. I think the Second Amendment was put in the Bill of Rights so that I could defend my freedom against an overbearing federal government.”

Anti-gun Amendment Passes

One extremely troubling amendment to the bill was slipped in on a voice vote. Sponsored by Republican David Reichert (“C” rated by GOA), the amendment instructs the Government Accounting Office to:

“Conduct a study of the ability of State and local law enforcement authorities to verify the validity of licenses or permits, issued by other States, to carry a concealed firearm.”

Nowhere in the Constitution is there even a hint of authority for the federal government to “study” the exercising of a right. Even worse, you can be sure that anti-gunners will use any excuse, including this study, to push for some type of national carry license.

The bill now heads to the Senate, where GOA is already working with key Senators to address ALL of the problems with the bill. GOA is also working with Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) on legislation, H.R. 2900, that takes a constitutional approach to concealed carry recognition.
Washington is playing their ignorant and ill-informed constituency like an organ grinder plays his monkey. The monkey shuts up and does what he's told, as long as he gets his banana. There is no difference in Washington. They squander the blood sweat and tears of the hard working, tax paying Americans and lie to them when they're caught. Needing their ever-increasing supply of bananas, the trained monkeys will continue to dance for their bananas.
bigbulls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
According to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the measure would allow states with tough requirements, such as New York and California, "to allow in concealed carry gun-toting people from states, such as Florida, which repeatedly have given dangerous people licenses to carry."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...#ixzz1e3l8s4dX

Brady campaign is a bunch of nut jobs themselves

buy sell trade
http://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com
chevelle427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in