Hot blueing source? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 08-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Hot blueing source?

Can anyone recommend a source to do hot blueing on a revolver in the Pensacola area?

I really don't want to send this off... I came across a nice S&W Model 10-7 Snub in a pawn shop for a steal in central Florida today. It has some buggered screws which are easy to replace. Otherwise, it is perfect except for holster wear. No rust or pitting issues, so prep work would be minimal.

It came with the original box, papers, original wood numbered grips & Tyler T-grip, a set of Pachs, and a well used leather holster (clear that is where the wear came from). Lock-up is tight, timing correct, and no end shake. So, I'd like to bring this gem back to appropriate luster...

Ellis Fleming behind Buck & Bass used to do some blueing work -- not sure if he still does, or if there is someone else in the area with a reasonable fee and turn-around time.

Thanks!
scubapro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Sailfish

Question

Will this take away something from the value of your weapon by rebluing it?
bobinbusan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
Sailfish

Here's a cell phone pic -- you tell me... Certainly not a rare firearm -- but a classic S&W that could be brought back to a state of luster!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 03:27 AM   #4
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinbusan View Post
Will this take away something from the value of your weapon by rebluing it?
If its done right it won't or at least shouldn't.
Gravity3694 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Grouper

the guy at Al's pawnshop does hot blueing. he's the one that duracoated my wifes glock and did a great job. i think his refinishing service is called "Sarge's Tactical" hes ex army and just a nice guy.
aaronious45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
Sailfish

I thought I'd post an "after" photo of the Model 10 Snub after glassplus tinkered with it in his "shop" for about an hour. jj rehabilitated all of the buggered screws (repaired them - not replace them) and dramatically improved the finish with Brownell's cold blue application.

Because there was only finish wear - and no actual metal damage - the cold blue treatment nicely covered the bare spots, making the revolver look good. Not perfect, and certainly not completely refinished - but definitely acceptable for use as a vehicle gun, or to sell more easily to someone looking for a good reliable revolver.

What do you think - comparing the "before" picture in the earlier post...to this "after" picture?

Hot blueing source?-image-1288906104-jpg
Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubapro View Post
I thought I'd post an "after" photo of the Model 10 Snub after glassplus tinkered with it in his "shop" for about an hour. jj rehabilitated all of the buggered screws (repaired them - not replace them) and dramatically improved the finish with Brownell's cold blue application.

Because there was only finish wear - and no actual metal damage - the cold blue treatment nicely covered the bare spots, making the revolver look good. Not perfect, and certainly not completely refinished - but definitely acceptable for use as a vehicle gun, or to sell more easily to someone looking for a good reliable revolver.

What do you think - comparing the "before" picture in the earlier post...to this "after" picture?

Attachment 59648
Its not bad for cold blue. What cold blue did he use? I've had good results with Brownell's Oxpho blue and have used to to completely reblue an Ithaca 37. It also holds and looks really good.
Gravity3694 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
Sailfish

Not sure - but he said it was cold blue from Brownell's

Here's a cropped photo

Old 09-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
Trigger

Default pure genius i tell you

yea, ole jj can put a fix on a gun in a hurry. he knowsjust where to look and tweek. he will be the one i turn to when in need . thanks again , jj
TraderDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in