Hornady SST and Whitetail Side by Side comparison - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 12-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Hornady SST and Whitetail Side by Side comparison

Got a chance to go the range yesterday to check zero on the ruger after missing a big buck the week before. She was way off over 7in low at 100yds. after i got her back to 0 i took some shots comparing the two different types of ammo i had purchased.

First up was the Whitetail .308 150gr 2800fps muzzle velocity, at 50yds they were pretty consistant of 1/2in groups. 100yds they were still pretty consistant of 1in groups with the occasional floater of 2in off. At 200yds they were not grouped the best i could still put a pie plate over them though. At 300yds they were all over the place but i attribute alot of that due to the fact the wind had started to pick up a little.

Next up were the SST's .308 150gr 3000fps muzzle velocity: At 50yds 3 shots were all within one square in. At 100 yds they were still all in one square in. At 200 yards they still shot a nice 1 1/2in group. At 300yds i could still put a pie plate over the three shots even with the wind begining to pick up.

Needless to say i really like the SST's and will be using them here on out, I'll still keep some whitetails in my pocket in case a coyote or bobcat strolls by though.

All shots were groups of three or four, shot from a gun vise and bags on butt-stock all i really had to do was pull the trigger to eliminate human error the best i could.
capt'n slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
Grand Slam

What range are you shooting 300 yards at??
sure,icanfish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Sailfish

Pensacola Pistol and Rifle Club located off Hwy 29 and Mattson(sp). Its a members only club they just built a nice 300yd range. My old boss is a member there so when she goes to the range i always tag along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
Grand Slam

Man that would be nice. I hate only shooting at 100yds
sure,icanfish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
Sailfish

Yes it is, at 200 and 300 yds you can really get a feel for what your gun and ammo can do. Since i hunt alot of different terrain sometimes my shots can be anywhere from 20yds to 220yds, its nice knowing where i need to place the shot for a kill and not guess at it blind.

I'm not sure what it takes to get in there i think you have to be recomended by at least two standing members. I don't remember what she said here yearly dues are but i do remember about choking at the thought of having to pay that much to shoot my own guns. However it is a really nice place.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
CLJ
Mingo

Its amazing how different, different loads will shoot, even within the same brand. A lot of people have tack driver rifles and don't even know it because they bought the ammo a friend shoots or the guy at the store told them to buy. Always experiment with as many different loads as you can afford. You'll be glad you did
CLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
Snapper

Default bullets

The american whitetail bullet is the equivalent to the remington coreloct. That sst round is a boattail bullet it will fly better the whitetail is a flat back bullet
shanester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in