Gun Shows in General........ - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 11-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Blue Marlin

Location: PC Fl., Orange Bch, Eufaula Al., Lake Seminole Ga. , Camden Al.
Default Gun Shows in General........

I have been to several and it used to make me excited to see one coming. But I have never found any use for a Gun Show.

I love quality firearms, and just walking around looking at them isn't something that I find interesting. But I do like to find a deal, and never seen anything at a Gun Show that even resembled one.

There are several on here that seem to get all gitty about an upcoming Guns Show, and I don't see the need.......

I haven't been to one in several years. Am I missing something?????

Garbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

Nope they pretty much suck, at least most of them do. The Southern Gun and Knife show ones are a joke and I rather burn my money and get kicked in the nuts than waste a half day going there and dealing with over retail guns and and people who think they are "Zombie" killers. Alabama puts on decent shows, the one in Andalusia is small but mostly individuals like they used to be. I love how people say I save $3 on this or that but it cost you $5 or $10 to get in. And people get all excited about them then post on here how much it sucked and guns are overpriced and how Jays took up 40% of the space with his overpriced crap. I have nothing for the ones around here and could care less if I ever go to a local one again. JMHO
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
Grouper

Never really bought anything at a gun show but it does give me an chance to seen and feel different guns I might be interested in. Sure beats looking at pictures and wondering how it really feels. Then if I'm interested I start shopping and it might take a bit but I usually find what I'm looking for at the price I want to pay.
TheCaptKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
Trigger

I used to go to the gun shows to find parts or tools for guns that I was fixing up for friends. It seems that this segment of the gun shows has gone the way of the Dodo bird. I'm guessing that the internet has pretty much eliminated it. The down side of this is not being able to inspect used components, but I have to admit that I have not really had any problems finding what used to be considered "rare" components.

Smitty
1956_4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
White Marlin

+1 Split Pieces and parts or a specialty item maybe...but these shows here are all the same, almost the same vendors, terrible. How about an outdoors show? Used to have them like a home show at the Alamo Dome in San Antonio, everything hunting, camping, fishing, took up the entire place. Guns knives, stands, climbers, cams, all that and more...it actually allowed you to see touch and feel what you were interested in buying.

Instead of the individuals that were selling guns having to walk around, they had an area, $5 for a chair and the interested people would come to you. Shows here you can go to 1 a year and not miss a thing.
FrankwT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
Grand Slam

I pretty much quit going. When I do go, it's mostly hoping to find somebody walking around with something I want.One day though I'm going to make it to Tulsa.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to PompNewbie Send a message via Yahoo to PompNewbie

IHMO gun shows used to be great places to go.. spare 1911 parts, leather holsters, decent gun deals.. Now its basically just a larger Version of Jay's Gun Shop, and a Whole table full of Chinese made knives.
Every now and then you run across a decent deal from someone walking around but thats about it.
PompNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
Sailfish

Gun shows were good before the age of the internet. Now, I do better buying and selling items on forums like this - or gunbroker.com I will go to the gunshows occassionally, and have set up a table a couple of times in Milton. I have found good deals from private individuals at the shows - and have either freed up a bit of cash for other projects or made some nice trades when I had a table. However, overall - I do better on the internet and having things shipped in for transfer.

The only thing that I have really enjoyed the last year or so -- is getting to meet some of the PFF members at the gunshows. Having an excuse to escape the "honey-do" list for $6 or $7 is worth it for me to go in hopes that I stumble upon something interesting. If they ever start charging for parking or raise the entrance fees to $10, I'll stop going all together.
scubapro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
White Marlin

Scuba, you are right, get out of the house and maybe see some friends!! Good point!
FrankwT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
Blue Marlin

Location: PC Fl., Orange Bch, Eufaula Al., Lake Seminole Ga. , Camden Al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splittine View Post
Nope they pretty much suck, at least most of them do. The Southern Gun and Knife show ones are a joke and I rather burn my money and get kicked in the nuts than waste a half day going there and dealing with over retail guns and and people who think they are "Zombie" killers. Alabama puts on decent shows, the one in Andalusia is small but mostly individuals like they used to be. I love how people say I save $3 on this or that but it cost you $5 or $10 to get in. And people get all excited about them then post on here how much it sucked and guns are overpriced and how Jays took up 40% of the space with his overpriced crap. I have nothing for the ones around here and could care less if I ever go to a local one again. JMHO

We Agree.

Garbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in