FL SBR or Can info? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 09-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to PompNewbie Send a message via Yahoo to PompNewbie
Default FL SBR or Can info?

Hey guys just curious if anyone here has a SBR or can and if so what route they went to make it all legal.. (form CLEO sign off, Trust etc..) just curious
PompNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
Sailfish

well unless you are a SOT you cannot cut any rifle or shotgun down or build a slinecer or suppressor and make it legal.you may buy them through a class 3 dealer.The home builds are illegal.There is no way i know that an individual may produce anything that requires an NFA tax stamp.If you have any questions call Larry Blackburn at 477 2223
rob883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
Super Moderator
White Marlin

Default Sbr

Any normal citizen can have an SBR and/or silencer as long as you get your 200 tax stamp. I have a legal one right now. You must complete the correct paperwork with fingerprints and have the paperwork autographed by the Sheriff in the county in which you live. You then send it in with a 200 dollar check and in about 60-90 days you will have a tax stamp in the mail and you can then put the rifle together as one piece. Go to AR15.com and there is a whole section that tells you the process. I know alot of people with them and I work for the Sheriff, so the paperwork comes in constantly for new applicants.
MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Sailfish

rgr that thanks for the info. I did not know if the new sheriff was "class 3" friendly.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
Sailfish

I have both an SBR (yes you can do a build yourself and submit it on a Form 1) and a B&T can (that I purchased FTF from an individual in a Mc Donald's parking lot on a Form 4). Both have papers and tax stamps. I went the individual ownership route and had Ronnie Mac signed off on both sets of papers. I've not asked Sheriff Morgan to sign off on any NFA stuff yet -- but my understanding is that he is very pro-2nd amendment rights.
scubapro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob883 View Post
well unless you are a SOT you cannot cut any rifle or shotgun down or build a slinecer or suppressor and make it legal.you may buy them through a class 3 dealer.The home builds are illegal.There is no way i know that an individual may produce anything that requires an NFA tax stamp.
This is not exactly correct. You can build things and submit them for registration on a Form 1 (actually - you submit the Form 1 first and get it approved, then you can perform the build). I might add that you shouldn't buy all the pieces and have them in the same place until you get the approved and stamped Form 1 back -- lest you fall into the trap of being guilty to possession with constructive intent...

Last edited by scubapro; 09-04-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #7
Sailfish

Thanks Scuba and just to clarify if I wanted a SBR w/can I would need a 200$ stamp for each one correct?
Old 09-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
Sailfish

Correct - a tax stamp for each individual item (unless you wanted to pin the can to the SBR and render it useless on other firearms)
Old 09-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #9
Sailfish

Rgr that's what I thought
thanks
Old 09-05-2011, 05:13 AM   #10
Snapper

Yes, Sheriff Morgan will do CLEO signoffs with a background check. Which is sorta redundant and potentially allows the sheriff to deny someone for things that are of higher criteria than the requirements found in the NFA act and GCA act. I don't necessarily agree with the CLEO signoff requirement in the entirety since it can be used arbitrarily and is no longer needed in the 21st century. The origional intent of the CLEO signoff in 1934 was for local law enforcement to attest to the federal government that you were not wanted locally. In today's society of information sharing it's no longer necessary.

I highly recommend anyone looking into NFA to go with the trust route as it is very flexible and does not require any CLEO, fingerprints or photos.
Gravity3694 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in