Do any of you re-load your ammo? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 05-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Tall Sexy Guy
Snapper

Default Do any of you re-load your ammo?

If so, would you mind showing me the ropes? I just don't see myself continuing to pay these outrageous ammo prices. I don't mind paying the price to go to the local shooting range, but the cost of the ammo is quickly adding up.

Thanks,
Scoots
scootman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Videographer
Sailfish

I started reloading a few months ago, and it seems to be the way to go. I just could not find a good deal on ammo anywhere....even buying 1k rounds I would still be paying over 20cents a round, probably a lot more.
Started on an RCBS single press, and knocked out 1k 45cal's in pretty short order.....and I was hooked.
Just got my new Lee Loadmaster press running....I bought it completely set up for .380, and I just knocked out 400 rounds in about an hour and a half. I can see it doing 400+ an hour, once I get use to it.
I'm just using berry's plated bullets, which run about $85 per 1k including shipping, primers are about $30/1k depending on how many you order at one time.....and on the .380 if figure it costs me about 1cent per load for powder. Brass is free if you save/collect it.
That puts my 1k of .380 at about $125 or 12.5 cents a round. I think the last time I bought "white box" wallyworld ammo in .380 I paid about $38/100 with tax. That means I saved $255 and can do it again anytime I want.
Of course The bigger shells will use more powder, but of course they cost more at retail too.
There are a lot of expensive presses on the market, Lee is probably the cheapest, so far I am impressed with the press and am ordering more dies....9mm is next. You will have to Press a LOT of ammo to pay for the more expensive presses , and may never make up the difference.....end up paying more than if you just bought the ammo.
I didn't pay a lot for my press and I'll soon have 1000's of quality rounds for every caliber I shoot, at half to 1/3 the cost of even cheap retail ammo.
Hope that helps, I know there are some more experienced reloaders on here, which could add some more experience, and If you want to reload large rife, that is another game as well.

Last edited by Firefishvideo; 07-15-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Firefishvideo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
Sailfish

Great post Scott, +1 on everything he said and it helps to find a good friend to halve costs and share info.....
no woryz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
old fart
Trigger

i have a few friends do, one gunsmith, other old fart and hes selling all his guns , probally his reloading equip also ill check if u like
sig226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
Tall Sexy Guy
Snapper

I primarily shoot a 30-06 and this is what I'm mostly interested in learning how to re-load. I would appreciate any opportunity to observe anyone re-loading their ammo just to see the process and perhaps get a chance to take an up close look at the equipment.

Scoots
Old 05-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
White Marlin

I've been reloading for some 20 years, gone through all the fancy stuff and have settled on a couple of Rock Chuckers single stage presses. I mainly load for accuracy so single stage is the way to go for me.

I am set up to reload all USGI rifle calibers and most popular handgun rounds. I live in Ensley so we're pretty close. You can come by sometime and I'll show you the ropes or I know a guy that teaches reloading for a fee, and you can rent his reloading room once you've learned, until you get yours set up.

Reloading used to be economical only if you were loading match grade ammo but now it pays to load plinking ammo. The trick is to buy in bulk, splitting the cost.

The biggest hassle in reloading bottlenecked rifle rounds is the case prep. Cleaning, lubing, sizing, decapping, trimming, deburring and primer pocket swaging and cleaning are required to load a proper and SAFE round. Once the cases are prepped the rest is gravy.

Rick

Last edited by shootnstarz; 05-21-2011 at 08:57 AM.
shootnstarz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Tall Sexy Guy
Snapper

Rick,

Yes...I am interested in coming by. My work schedule pretty much consumes the weekdays, but I am available on weekends including Sundays (after church).

Scoots
Old 05-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
Sailfish

Great info guys.... I'm looking to get into reloading so if anyone has a loader they want to sell nothing fancy pm me.... Thanks
realstreet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 11:36 AM   #9
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

There are many ways to do it and you can get into it as cheap or exspensive as you want. Ill have over $1000 into my setup and thats a single stage press which I recommend if you are loading for accuracy in rifle calibers, and there I could still spend another $500 on stuff I need. If you only shoot 1 caliber you have to weight the cost of buying ammo and buying reloading equipment. Im setup to handload for about 15 different rifle calibers right now and room is one thing needed for loading for that much. I built a nice table last year and it has served well so far. Its not hard to do and if you have a nice place to work its a pleasure. One thing I can say is buy the best you can afford if you are wanting accuracy. I found a great deal on a RCBS Rock Chucker press kit from Midway I believe and added on to it. Here is a picture of the bench after I built it and wish my bench had this little stuff on it now, it all accumilates and builds as you start loading for other calibers.
Attached Thumbnails
Do any of you re-load your ammo?-1-jpg  
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #10
White Marlin

Yep, the RCBS Rock Chucker kit is about the best deal around for a very high quality single stage press, probably the best on the market. It comes with most everything you need to get started minus dies but you'll soon be adding more and more.

If you just want to crank out pistol rounds by the bag full then look into the Dillon Square Deal B progressive press. Buy it in a specific caliber, bolt it down, set the powder charge and bullet seating depth and you're on your way. Dillon is top quality stuff and great folks to deal with.

Check with Midway USA or Midsouth Shooters Supply for the best deals on RCBS. Check Dillon's site for their stuff. There's a classified forum on AR15.com for reloading supplies and equipment.

Scoot, PM me sometime when you can come by. I'm a construction contractor so I'm usually home. Evenings will work too.

Rick

Last edited by shootnstarz; 05-21-2011 at 05:19 PM.
shootnstarz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in