Diamondback db9 9mm - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 09-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Diamondback db9 9mm

I just got one of the new db9`s and thought I`de give an initial report. Shot 50 rounds through it yesterday and I was pleased. I did have I think two or three jams but believe it was probably the ammo. I had some cheap Russian stuff. Based on all the reviews I have read its been a very reliable gun. Of course it says you need about 200 rnds to break it in. It is just slightly bigger then the .380 version and still easily fits in the pocket. It is a little snappy on recoil but not terribly uncomfortable. At about 20ft it does shoot low if you line up the three dots horizontaly. Once I moved in to around 10 feet it seemed like the sights were lined up okay. The rear sight is drift adjustable which is nice. I am anxious to get some more rounds through it but will use better ammo. I think that will eliminate the feeding issue. I will give an updated report when I get a chance to finish breaking it in. Overall I can say I think its going to be a great gun for its intended purpose. My normal carry gun is a Beretta PX4 sub-compact in .40 cal. I love this gun. It eats everything i put throught it.
patman71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
Grouper

I also picked up one this weekend...and have put 50 rounds of Georgia Arms 115 ball ammo through it without any problem. Just a fuzz bigger than my P3AT but I'm liking it a lot already!
archer-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
Grouper

Where are you picking them up from? I looked at a standard one at the last gun show, but really wanted the bright slide. I since lost their card and cannot remember the dealer. I know they were not in Pensacola. Drove up to Jay to see if it was Scotts, and no luck!
FlFrayedKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
Sailfish

I have an early production model (serial #YA031x) that rides in my pocket daily. I've run hundreds of rounds of WWB through mine with nary a problem. Once I passed the 250 round mark, I considered it good to go as a reliable self defense pistol. I ran a box of Cor-bon Pow'Rball through it to assure proper function -- and carry the same ammo from the same lot number as defense ammo.

They are great little pistols, but can be subject to failure associated with limp wristing from shooters not aware they suffer from that bad habit. Hold on tight and all should be fine!
scubapro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
Grouper

Picked mine up from the Gun Show this weekend. The shop outta Bonifay I think, but I would have to check the recept.

Thats good to know as I was planning on running Powrball in mine...They function well in the P3AT, and the LCP.

Last edited by archer-1; 09-27-2011 at 03:54 PM.
archer-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
Mingo

I picked mine up from Miles over at Tradewinds. He had one more in stock after mine and I think It was $377.00. I traded a rifle for mine but I think thats the price he told me it goes for. I am glad to hear that everyone else has had good luck with them. I can`t wait to finish getting it broke in. I have to get a pocket holster here shortly and I`m debating on the Crimson Trace laser for it.
patman71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
Grouper

Thanks for the tip! Trade Winds has the exact one I want. Saturday trip for sure, and lunch at a favorite eatery close by!
FlFrayedKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 11:52 PM   #8
Grouper

Before you get the Crimson trace laser for your DB9. Give Crimson trace a call. There have been some issues with this. The same laser that fits the DB380 will fit the DB9. I sold a couple earlier this year to a couple of customers. He quite frequently looks at the DB facebook. He is the one who told me about this. I would look into it a little bit before I purchased it.
user207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #9
Sailfish

Tim is correct. The CT laser installed on the DB9 has been linked to frame rail cracks -- something about interferring with the flexibility of the polymer frame to absorb the recoil forces in this micro 9mm pistol. DB is working on a fix, but the last I heard -- don't mount the CT on the DB9 (it is fine on the DB380 though).
scubapro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 04:13 AM   #10
Trigger

I am the guy that Tim at Baywatch Tower Arms is talking about.

We discovered this issue in mid July sometime, and was told by Jason at DB to remove the CTC LG491 laser, until further notice. Several months went by an we kept geting promises by DB that CT was working on the problem, and would have a fix shortly. These dates never came, so I got tired of waiting and started doing a little investigating myself. Rather that rewrite everything, I'm just going to copy and past the post from DB's forum and CT's Facebook page.

DB Forum - Sept. 02,2011

Jason @ DB Sales wrote:

I just talked to the Director of Sales at Crimson Trace yesterday. He anticipates the new laser to be ready in the next couple of weeks. If you have the ability to return the laser to the store you bought it from then I would do so. if you bought it from us then you can return it to us, otherwise you'll need to return to where you bought it or wait to exchange with CT. There is a program in place that the dealer you bought it from can return it to CT for a refund so they aren't just eating it.

Pat Ozment @ Jason - Sept. 02, 2011

I purchased mine through the same dealer I bought the gun through. He is a friend also, so I'd rather not put him through the hassle if it’s not necessary.

Then there is the issue of the $50.00 rebate program which has expired, and I have already received the check. If I return the laser, will I have to return the rebate also, and is there a specific time frame for this? What is the turn-around time going to be? Will a rebate be offered on the new correct laser, and will the cost be the same? If the new laser size is different, will it still fit existing molded holsters? You see where I’m going with this, right?

I have a problem seeing details (i.e. sights) in low-light situations, so having a laser on this gun is critical to me. Returning it and hoping a solution will become available sometime in the near future is not an option. A one for one exchange is the only way to do it in my opinion.

What is really ticking me off, is the lack of information from CT. Everyone of us who purchased a LG491 and registered it with CT online, provided them with our e-mail address. I’m also registered for their news letter. So far, other than the registration and rebate confirmation, I’ve not received anything else from them, especially about the compatibility problem. CT knows who we are, and could have at least sent a courtesy letter, acknowledging the problem. DB has the same information and could have done the same thing. Not all owners are on this forum, and may not be aware of this potentially dangerous problem.

BTW, I also searched and visually checked CT’s forum all of the way back to it’s inception in May 2010, and the words ‘Diamondback’ and ‘LG491’ do not even appear anywhere. All references to the DB9 have been removed from their website, and Facebook page. It’s almost like they have dis-owned the DB9 project. I'm guessing this is not very high up on their to-do list.

However, based on your post I guess I have no other choice but to wait another two weeks and see what happens. Please be aware, if no solution is achieved for this problem and I have to return the laser, I will also be returning the DB9, because it is of no use to me without a laser.

Thank you…

DB Forum - Sept. 22,2011

VBVAGUY wrote:
Jason any updates on this from CT ???

Pat [email protected] DB Forum - Sept. 22, 2011

I have been trying to contact Crimson Trace all week by posting, both on their forum and on their Facebook page. Apparently, the forum is no longer monitored, because it is full of spam post and no real information being passed on. I made my post on Facebook on Monday at 8:45 pm., and finally got a responce today, Thursday at 3:46 pm. The delay may have been due to the many changes being made by Facebook at this time. Anyway, here is my post and CT's reply.

Patrick Ozment @ Crimson Trace - Sept. 19, 2011

"Hi, I recently (July) purchased a CT LG491 for use with a Diamondback DB9. Both companies stated on their websites it would be compatible, but it's not and has caused frame rails to break. We were told to remove the lasers, and have been promised by DB on three different occasions, that CT is going to have a 'fix' or exchange program very soon, but so far the only information I can get is "we (CT) are looking into it". Can you PLEASE give me an accurate update on this situation, and a date we can expect a solution? I don't want a refund on the laser...I want a laser that will work without damaging my gun. Thank you...Pat Ozment"

[email protected] DB Forum - copy and pasted the following

Crimson Trace @Patrick - Sept. 22,2011

‎"We understand your frustration and apologize for the confusion. After release of the product, fitment concerns were noted and fit notes for the laser were immediately altered. Rest assured that this is a priority for Crimson Trace and we will have an answer for you and the rest of our loyal and valued customers no later than the end of September - if not sooner. Our engineering and product development team is hard at work to provide a clearer picture of whether the issue has been solved and the unit can be safely used on your DB9. For the record, the problem came to light after passing earlier tests and was due to additional stiffness to the frame and restricting frame flex, which is necessary in the small polymer guns. Thank you for your patience, and expect an update shortly."

Thanks,
The Facebook Team

(Me) Still no information on how the problem will be solved, but at least CT has acknowledged (in writing) that the problem exists, and they actually are working on it. They are also stating we will have an answer (not necessairly the solution) by the end of September.

I hope this information will help others with the same concerns as my own.

Me @ DB Forum

OK Guys and Gals,

Here is the latest update from Crimson Trace via Facebook, which I received at 12:06 pm today (9/26/11).

"Crimson Trace ‎@Patrick - Thanks again for your patience. Upon further review, it has been determined by Crimson Trace that the LG-491 is not compatible with the DB9. Please call Crimson Trace Customer Service at 1-800-442-2406 for more information and to help you with a refund on your purchase. Again, we sincerely appreciate your patience and apologize for the disappointing news."
4 hours ago · Like

I contacted CT by phone just a few minutes ago, and spoke with 'Erin'. She confirmed that CT has no further plans to modify, redesign, or repair the LG491 to make it compatible with the DB9, or to develop a new model laser for the DB9, at least until next year sometime...if at all.

I specifically asked her if we (the customer/owners), were to modify the LG491 to fit the DB9, would it void the warranty. She stated, "YES", it would void the warranty, and CT would not recommend it.

The two remaining options were:

1. Contact CT and arrange for a refund. If you purchased it directly from them and used a credit card, then the amount will be credited back to your account. If you purchased it from somewhere else, then they would issue you a refund check. In either case, the laser will need to be returned to them first. I neglected to ask about shipping or the $50.00 rebate. Sorry!

2. They will exchange the LG491 for another product, for another gun. I asked about a model for a Glock, which was a little more money, and she said they could probably still do a even exchange, but don't hold me to that.

Disclaimer: I am simply posting this information for the people like myself that got tired of just sitting around waiting. Once I established contact, CT has been very forthcoming with information. This information is accurate and up to date to the best of my knowledge, but I am in no way responsible for any actions or non-actions by Crimson Trace or it's employees. Your best bet is going to be to contact them personally, and go from there.

So there you have it...if you need more info you can follow the Diamondback Talk Forum here: http://www.diamondbacktalk.com/forum...1&p=6858#p6858

Or the Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Cr...wall&filter=12

Last edited by Patoz; 09-28-2011 at 04:17 AM.
Patoz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in