Colt 45 Defender??? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 04-08-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
Sailfish

Question Colt 45 Defender???

Just wondering what you guys thought about this gun A good friend of mine had one went to shoot with him a couple of times and had to have one, I carry it on a regular basis, just wondering what you all thought compared to other compact 45 autos, I was thinking of getting a full size soon, I recently got some new grips from Rasco Grips really like the new look compared to the hogue factory grip. I have always been partial to colt just from family history both my grandfathers were always very fond of there Colts... Thanks fer your imput.
Attached Thumbnails
Colt 45 Defender???-img00353-20110407-2347-jpg   Colt 45 Defender???-img00358-20110407-2353-jpg  

Last edited by flukedaddy; 04-08-2011 at 04:04 AM.
flukedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
Sailfish

Default This vs That

I have owned several Colts over the years. My competition gun was a Colt. To me most all 1911's are good to great guns nowadays. Some people like a stock Springfield,some like a tricked out Brown,Baer,STI,or other $2500+ pistol.

For me now,my EDC is a Kimber. The 3" Ultra Carry CDP II. Very compact and at 28oz very easy to carry and conceal using a Galco and the "right" belt. I do not understand why more Colt guys do not choose the 3" vs the 5" but I suppose the old wives tale of a 3" 1911 having FTF's and FTE's is still floating around out there. A little tweaking and the right mag(with 1911's it's all about the mag)they will function as reliability as any other 1911.

Would suggest you take a look at the VZ line of grips. Mine are the canvas micarta and I love 'em. Do a little polishing and buffing in just the right spots and that Colt will be even better.---- SAWMAN
SAWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
White Marlin

I just got one a few month ago for my EDC and I love it. I did a bunch of research between the kimbers, colt's, etc. and from everything I read it seemed like the Defender was more reliable on average.

I read somewhere that the Defenders are built on GI tolerances, rather than match like many other guns, and while you may lose a 1/4" or accuarcy the likely hood of any failures goes way down.

If you haven't already, invest in a good holster and gun belt (milt sparks, dm bullard, etc.). I always carried lighter guns and was able to get away with cheaper holsters. When I got a my defender I broke down and got a Milt Sparks VMII and haven't looked back. A lot of times I forget I'm even wearing the gun, and lets face this isn't the lightest gun in the world. A good belt paired with a good holster is the way to go.
Linkovich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
Sailfish

Thanks for your thoughts and time....
Old 04-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
Sailfish

Sawman.... just wondering what you meant by this.....Do a little polishing and buffing in just the right spots and that Colt will be even better.----
Old 04-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #6
Trigger

Just got a blackhawk holster for mine.... not very concealable. I will check out the Milt Sparks also. Thanks
Nicevilleski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 03:52 AM   #7
Sailfish

I have one of the original thunderwear holster and like it as far as concealment it is awesome can be worn with just shorts no belt and the extra clip with it...Took a lil gettin used to it but like it now. Also does alright holding my Ruger P95, could also hold a set of twins. Plus its a Florida co. Made in the good ole U.S
Attached Thumbnails
Colt 45 Defender???-ruger-jpg   Colt 45 Defender???-thunderwear-jpg  
Old 04-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
Trigger

That thing ever fall outa that ?
Old 04-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
Sailfish

nah never fell out.. it is a very comfortable forget its on sometimes,picked it up at a gunshow last year guy selling them had my same gun, I had purchased a knockoff on ebay not near as nice. there are not a whole lot of truly concealed holsters out there have seen a few, but like I said you can wear this with just shorts no shirt how many holsters can say that.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
Trigger

Sounds cool. Took mine to the range today. Fail to feed every two shots. What the hell? When i took it apart to clean it, there were several aluminum shavings under the reciever. I took some pics. I hope to send them to Colt to see if that is normal. I'll tell ya what though. My PF-9 never had a malfunction and cost 1/3 of what this pistol did. Thinking I am missing my Keltek.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in