Ccw, not hunting question. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Like Tree3Likes

Old 01-03-2016, 11:00 AM   #1
Trigger

Default Ccw, not hunting question.

Will be getting my ccw and my wife's this year. I read on the statute that I am covered with my hunter safety course I took. I didn't see anything in the statute about mag limitations but think a full size gun will be sufficient for my needs and a full sized for my wife if she is comfortable with it due to recoil. I think 9mm would be fine as well given the reviews I have read on modern hp technology. We will have same cal and I would feel more secure knowing she has 9mm vs 380 acp.

Any insight that can be given would be appreciated. Looking 450 or less range for each of them and I believe sig, ruger, and s&w all have offerings in that criteria.

I always thought snubnose like ruger super blackhawk would be my first ccw, but from price and practicality standpoint, if I get that it will be a while before we get one for her. Also the more I thought about it, having a 44 mag even hp seemed irresponsible for me to get for first ccw given my lack of experience and potential over penetration, especially since the only reason I wanted one was the "cool" factor of a large caliber revolver. Maybe one day as a hunting side arm but need to think about those around me should I ever need to use it, heaven forbid.
advobwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #2
Grand Slam

To be honest with you, a lot of things you are saying don't make sense.
A snub nose Super Blackhawk for concealed carry? That's a big gun and I can't say that I've ever seen one in a snub nose.
You need to decide on a gun that you don't mind carrying on a daily basis. There's an old saying - a .380 in the pocket beats a .45 back home in the safe.
Yes, your hunter safety course will satisfy the educational requirement.
Go rent a few guns at a range and see which ones you like the best and think "could I carry this all day?"
A few that come to mind - S&W shield, S&W 642, Kahr CW9, Ruger LCP and there are many
others.
Good luck.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by welldoya View Post
To be honest with you, a lot of things you are saying don't make sense.
A snub nose Super Blackhawk for concealed carry? That's a big gun and I can't say that I've ever seen one in a snub nose.
Yes, that is what I was looking at a year ago when I thought it was possible to have an acceptable hunting revolver as a concealed carry. A year of research has shown me its not practical and as I said dangerous for passers by in the event it must be drawn.

Thank you for the input. I saw the m & p and lcp and the sig's entry level and also saw the KAHR but wasn't sure how good they are since I've never used one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2016, 11:45 AM   #4
Sailfish

You should probably take a good CCW class along with the wife. A lot of your questions will be answered, you'll be much more confident and competent, and the instructor can help you pick the proper weapon. You'll also be familiar with each others training, which will make going shooting more fun and rewarding.

I'm very experienced with firearms and have been shooting almost my entire life. I'm going along with my wife to her training so that I'll be familiar with how she's been taught, and it's never too late to learn something new. Well worth the $$$.
Hawkseye likes this.

Jim Phillips
Lost Bay Designs™
Custom Screen Printing
Vinyl Graphics
Promotional Products
www.lostbaydesigns.com
Evensplit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #5
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by advobwhite View Post
Will be getting my ccw and my wife's this year. I read on the statute that I am covered with my hunter safety course I took. I didn't see anything in the statute about mag limitations but think a full size gun will be sufficient for my needs and a full sized for my wife if she is comfortable with it due to recoil. I think 9mm would be fine as well given the reviews I have read on modern hp technology. We will have same cal and I would feel more secure knowing she has 9mm vs 380 acp.

Any insight that can be given would be appreciated. Looking 450 or less range for each of them and I believe sig, ruger, and s&w all have offerings in that criteria.

I always thought snubnose like ruger super blackhawk would be my first ccw, but from price and practicality standpoint, if I get that it will be a while before we get one for her. Also the more I thought about it, having a 44 mag even hp seemed irresponsible for me to get for first ccw given my lack of experience and potential over penetration, especially since the only reason I wanted one was the "cool" factor of a large caliber revolver. Maybe one day as a hunting side arm but need to think about those around me should I ever need to use it, heaven forbid.
Yes you can get your CCW with a hunter education. The hunter education counts as your firearms training. But since you stated you have no clue about any of it I would 1.) Take a class 2.) Two talk to a lawyer specializes in such laws or at least have or know a lawyer that does so if you ever have to use that tool you will not be the creek without a paddle. Because carrying is a huge responsibility and when you have to take someone’s life (god forbid if that ever happened) you have major court fees, the emotions and possible PTS of killing someone, stress on the family, and sometime possibly not getting away with it even though you are covered by law. So you have to prepare yourself physically and mentally.

In the state of Florida there aren’t any mag restrictions like Massachusetts or California, but I would not conceal carry a full size handgun, open carry is different. I am 6’1” and about 215 lbs and I have carried a full size concealed and it was not fun. Also Florida has different weather, one day it will be 80 degrees the next 40. You won't be able to conceal carry a full size pistol comfortably/practically, or keep it up if you are wearing gym shorts or sweats like I do. The full size got in the way and was completely uncomfortable for the use of what I had it for…. Self-defense.

If you are worried about recoil I would suggest a small 9mm over a 380acp. I use to have a Ruger LCP which is a great carry piece but shooting that compared to my 9mm shield. The recoil the the LCP (.380) was more snappy than my shield. It didn't bother me but my girlfriend did not like it and she preferred to shoot my shield. Also the fact that you will be able to find ammo easier, cheaper, and practice more is key. The bad guy won’t know the difference if he/she is shot with a 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP etc. If I am conceal carrying I want something small based off comfort I will carry my shield, if I can open carry I will carry my Glock 19. If you live in Florida conceal carrying will be the majority of what you are doing and I suggest getting something small like the S&W Shield or body guard, XDS, LC9, Kahr CM9, Ruger LCP. I can also say I have put over 1,000 rounds through my shield without a single malfunction. I have fired everything from steel case to the +P premium self defense ammunition. But that has all been static shooting I have not been able to run it through some kind of course or through something that causes more dirt.

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 01-03-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Brandon_SPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by advobwhite View Post
Yes, that is what I was looking at a year ago when I thought it was possible to have an acceptable hunting revolver as a concealed carry. A year of research has shown me its not practical and as I said dangerous for passers by in the event it must be drawn.

Thank you for the input. I saw the m & p and lcp and the sig's entry level and also saw the KAHR but wasn't sure how good they are since I've never used one.
An LCP in not a beginner's gun. It is small with a very long trigger. It's a pain to shoot accurately.
mirage2521 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2016, 01:03 PM   #7
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evensplit View Post
You should probably take a good CCW class along with the wife. A lot of your questions will be answered, you'll be much more confident and competent, and the instructor can help you pick the proper weapon. You'll also be familiar with each others training, which will make going shooting more fun and rewarding.

I'm very experienced with firearms and have been shooting almost my entire life. I'm going along with my wife to her training so that I'll be familiar with how she's been taught, and it's never too late to learn something new. Well worth the $$$.
Money spent on quality self defense firearms training is a lot more important than money spent on firearms. Lots of instructors will loan or rent you a gun for training and after the training you will make much better choices when purchasing.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #8
Trigger

Thank you all for the input. I love the info that is readily available on this forum.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #9
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage2521 View Post
An LCP in not a beginner's gun. It is small with a very long trigger. It's a pain to shoot accurately.
LCP is not meant to shoot accurately out to "normal pistol range", it is meant to point and shoot within self defense range and neutralize the threat. The whole point of it being small is conceal carry which the name LCP (Light Compact Pistol). LCP is a great beginner pistol for conceal carry. It was the first pistol and my first carry pistol when I started carrying when I was 19 and carried that for about 3 years and honestly I think my mother carried one too. l never had a single problem, training is the key.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 01-03-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Brandon_SPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #10
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_SPC View Post
LCP is not meant to shoot accurately out to "normal pistol range", it is meant to point and shoot within self defense range and neutralize the threat. The whole point of it being small is conceal carry which the name LCP (Light Compact Pistol). LCP is a great beginner pistol for conceal carry. It was the first pistol and my first carry pistol when I started carrying when I was 19 and carried that for about 3 years. l never had a single problem, training is the key.
No, its really not

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in