bullet suggestions for BAR - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 05-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
Snapper

Default bullet suggestions for BAR

I recently bought a Browning bar in a .270cal an was wondering what bullets other owners were getting the best accuracy with? I tried the hornady sst in a 130grain an a winchester powermax in a 130grain also an they just aren't sticking to tightly on the paper! Thanks for any suggestions!
T-REX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Grouper

Default bar

federal fusion 130 grain
billin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
Trigger

You definitely have a good idea trying to get ideas from others with the same gun, but that is just a starting place. Every gun will "like" a different ammo (even within the same model and configuration). Your best bet is to get several different loads (the more the better) and take it to the range and shoot a couple groups from sandbags of each and see what shoots best.
JMSUN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
Sailfish

150 grain Remington Corelok.................now I havent shot my 270 in a couple years, but those were the bullets knocking them down for me.
Caspr21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-REX View Post
I recently bought a Browning bar in a .270cal an was wondering what bullets other owners were getting the best accuracy with? I tried the hornady sst in a 130grain an a winchester powermax in a 130grain also an they just aren't sticking to tightly on the paper! Thanks for any suggestions!
What's your grouping size? A BAR is accurate for an autoloader, but don't expect the bullet holes to touch each other at 100yds. I use Remington CoreLokts in all my BARs (.243, .270, 30/06) and get acceptable accuracy.
bcbz71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
AAR
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspr21 View Post
150 grain Remington Corelok.................now I havent shot my 270 in a couple years, but those were the bullets knocking them down for me.
+1 Can't go wrong - and cheap.
AAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
Sailfish

Default 130 vs 150

JMSUN is right on. I know two different people with 270's and their guns will only shoot the 150's.
Your question was reguarding "accuracy" so I will also simply say,shoot the bullet that is most accurate. A 270 pushing ANYTHING will hammer the smaller Fla deer and hogs if the bullet is placed properly. --- SAWMAN
SAWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Snapper

Thanks for all the advice fellas I know I'm not goin to get great groups out of a auto but I would like to squeeze all the accuracy out that I can!!
T-REX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
Mingo

i have the browning 30-06 depending on the fundage at the the time im buying rounds i ether shoot the Remington core locks 180 gr or the winchester 180 gr silver ballistic tips . i prefer the ballistic tips how ever ether round will drop a deer and there not to much of a difference when shooting on paper that i have seen . i mean its a auto loader with mass produced ammo so your not going to be stacking rounds on top of each other but i figure 1/4 -1/2 inch group is fine for hunting . hope it helps.

Know i have only owned this weapon for about 2 yrs so there only been maybe 5 boxes threw it 2nd hand weapon from a family friend he fired one round out of it and i bought it from him older gentleman to much recoil . He sold it to me if i remember correctly 550 bucks . Know i maintain all my weapons correctly and break them down and clean them all correctly except this browning for the simple reason i cant find a exposed screw or any thing to take the for end off and break it completely down .so all i can really do is run a bore brush down it oil it and clean the chamber the best i can since i cant break it completely down . Does any one know were i can find a parts break down of these weapon or can some one just tell me how to break it down ?

Last edited by xtopdawg386x; 05-14-2011 at 02:39 PM.
xtopdawg386x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Topdawg,
Does it have a sling mounted? The screw might have been replaced with a swivel stud... The stud is the screw to remove now.
D_Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in