Budget 223/308 build? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 09-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to PompNewbie Send a message via Yahoo to PompNewbie
Default Budget 223/308 build?

I am looking at trying my hand at precision shooting (I hate using the term sniper unless your actually one) and want a rifle in 223 or 308.
I like the look of the Remington SPS Tactical but ive read you can do the same thing with a 700 ADL and some minor changes saving around 200$
I know some of you on here are guru's on this subject so feel free to chime in.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
PompNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Snapper

Rem 700 LVS in 223 with rings and mount less then 100 rds. 575.00.

Rem 700 PSS 223 with a super sniper scope less then 100 rds.850.00 With out scope 650.00

To do it half way right It You have to do more than some minor changes if you expect it shoot real good H/B ave. cost 200/// stock used 150- new to 400.00 /////F/p used 50.00 may be A HSC is about 400. new. the PSS comes with a HSC stock the Lamt.is very good and is a lot cheaper. Been doing this for a long time. If you serious gave me a call 572-6611 Just my 50 cents jjj

Last edited by glassplus; 09-08-2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: price
glassplus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Snapper

i also am interested, i would like to build one in 308 or 7mm-08. i have heard savage actions are also a good start....
smokin berlinet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
Snapper

Want comment on the savage,have seen some of there top end shoot good but I want work on one, Most all good Verm. are snipers are useing Rem actions. Just my 2 cents jj
glassplus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
Trigger

it seems the argument is always between rem and Savage. Savage seems to have sweet guns out the box but the Remmington 700 line has the ability to build totaly ground up. I think the 700 looks a bit better than the savage but thats about where my advice ends.
Longbow14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow14 View Post
it seems the argument is always between rem and Savage. Savage seems to have sweet guns out the box but the Remmington 700 line has the ability to build totaly ground up. I think the 700 looks a bit better than the savage but thats about where my advice ends.
Just to muddy the waters even more there's the old Winchester mod 70 action that FN produces.

Between the three I think the Remington 700 is better in terms of accessories. However, Savage makes great value rifles. The most important investment in precision shooting that many overlook is a good optic. Regrettably many people buy a great rifle, but buy a sorry piece of glass and blame the rifle.
Gravity3694 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Sailfish

If you just want to test the waters with out breaking the bank then get a Savage 10 precision carbine, a model 12 BVSS, model 12 VLP, or a model 10 fcp. In Remington look at the SPS tactical. Any of these rifles will run you less than a grand and as a general rule will shoot encredibly well. Savage rifles shoot extremely well with very little to zero modifications so my money would go to Savage until I really learned the sport and felt like moving into something more "higher end".

You can build anything you want but you are going to have to pay to get it done. This includes getting something like an ADL and paying a gunsmith to do the work. You certainly aren't going to save any money going this rout.
Washington is playing their ignorant and ill-informed constituency like an organ grinder plays his monkey. The monkey shuts up and does what he's told, as long as he gets his banana. There is no difference in Washington. They squander the blood sweat and tears of the hard working, tax paying Americans and lie to them when they're caught. Needing their ever-increasing supply of bananas, the trained monkeys will continue to dance for their bananas.
bigbulls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in