Best CCW in your opinion? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 11-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Default Best CCW in your opinion?

I'm in the market for a CCW and I'm having a bit of a problem deciding which one. I'm trying to base my decision on power, capacity, reliability, reputation, etc and I'm scrambling my brain trying to choose with all considered. I have shot several and have heard many options from folks and friends but I want a broader base of opinion.

Ya'll know way more about this than me so I want to hear it.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
Mingo

Gotta prioritize... It's a chili recipie, go with what works for you.

Some things you also might consider, how big you are and where you want to wear it.

I know some folks that carry a full size IWB SOB but not everyone is 6'+

Good luck!

B
B.Fine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
Videographer
Sailfish

If you Stick with the KAHR brand you won't be sorry. P380 for front pocket carry (cargo pants or shorts no jeans) pm9 or cm9 for itw or otw with any style pants. I am 5' 11" 170 and anything larger starts to get irritating after a while of wearing it. Just buy something you WILL carry AND PRACTICE WITH, and its nice if the weapon is a pleasure to carry/shoot......not all are suited to BOTH.
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
Squid technician
Grand Slam

I do love the P380 and have shot it on numerous occasions. I was also directed to KAHR and the Para Warthog. I like the Glock 26 but am a bit hesitant due to the lack of a true safety. Thoughts? I realize there will be pros and cons to all.
Saturday 9-9
Old 11-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
Mingo

I gotta agree, priorities, everyone I know says they have the best possible carry weapon. everything from full size 1911s to beltbuckle derringers.
Spend some time checkin things out. Everyone has a different opinion and we all know what they are like.
I personally have a couple of different carrys, one is a smith snubby .38 thats probably as old as I am. I have another that I sometimes carry but stays in the truck most of the time that many people would call total junk. Its a Highpoint 9mm, ugly as hell, heavy as a brick, and $150 new! This is where other opinions can be a problem, many call it junk, but I have put close to 2000 rds thru it its quite accurate and it has NEVER failed.
So like I said, check things out, try a few, dont be to quick to drink the kool aid, youll find the carry peice thats right for you.
phil c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
Grouper

If you are uncomfortable with the safety on a Glock my guess is you would be even more weary with a cocked .45 in your waist band. I've carried both a glock 27 and the Warthog and felt much more comfortable from a safety standpoint with the glock. FYI it's not too hardto have the thumb safety disengage on a 1911 you still have the grip safety but it's still a little unnerving.

Last edited by CootCommander; 11-27-2011 at 09:24 PM.
CootCommander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Would you say you didn't like the warthog? How about the Sig P250? I have yet to fire a Sig I haven't liked.
Saturday 9-9
Old 11-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
Videographer
Sailfish

Yea....I don't think I could carry a weapon cocked & locked. Kahrs have internal safetys ....the firing pin is only fully reset when the trigger is pulled all the way back.....so no misfires from dropping, bumping, or pressure on the trigger. When you Do pull the trigger, they have the smoothest pull of any DAO pistol I have shot.....yet require enough pressure that it won't happen by accident. The thing I like the best is that in the 3 seconds that you will have to draw and fire the weapon....you won't have to think about wheather it is cocked, or on safety.....you just pull the trigger and it fires. A safety that keeps you from firing the weapon when you NEED TO is only safe for your attacker.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefishvideo View Post
The thing I like the best is that in the 3 seconds that you will have to draw and fire the weapon....you won't have to think about wheather it is cocked, or on safety.....you just pull the trigger and it fires. A safety that keeps you from firing the weapon when you NEED TO is only safe for your attacker.
Well put!
Saturday 9-9
Old 11-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
Grouper

Not that I didn't like the Warthog, as it is a fine weapon and an awesome amount of fire power for it's very small size. Mine did not like anything but the lower grain ammo and would jam with the bigger stuff on occasion. Glocks are simple, pull the trigger goes boom regardless of how diligently you clean and maintain your weapons (within reason of course). The simpler something is the less likely it is to fail when you need it. Jmo
CootCommander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in