AR Purchase - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 04-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default AR Purchase

Hey guys, never owned or shot an AR of any kind. I've looked at a few and I'm starting my research of what I would like to purchase. What do you think about LMT (Lewis Machine & Tool) AR's? It looked and felt great in the hands, not to bad of a price either. Also, I've been looking at Stag. I don't need top of the line, nor do I want to have to upgrade. I'm not looking for optics right now, just open sights. Whats your suggestions or advice?
Gulfcity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

LMT and stags are nice rifles for sure. The market is soft and over saturated right now so if you dont have to buy new there can be some sweet used rifles to be had right now for a good price!

If you do want to buy new and want to make it your own, you could get a nice lower and a parts kit from Delton which is of nice quality and not counting optics or fancy smancy railed handguards, you could probably get it all done for around 700 or so. It's fun and easy!
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks, I'm all about saving money and I'd like to get one used. I'll check out delton tomorrow when I have time to sit and look at a build. There is so much info about building an ar. What's some suggestions on lowers, uppers and barrels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 01:38 AM   #4
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcity View Post
Thanks, I'm all about saving money and I'd like to get one used. I'll check out delton tomorrow when I have time to sit and look at a build. There is so much info about building an ar. What's some suggestions on lowers, uppers and barrels.

Its really not as difficult as it may seem to build your own and it comes with a sense of accomplishment. Here is a good how to link:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

As long as you go with a Mil-spec lower you shouldnt have too many problems. Dont get caught up in the price. Stag, LWRC, S&W Del-ton, RRA, LMT, Spike's Tactical I could go on and on and I haven't had an issue with any of them.

Uppers assemblies are the way to go for a beginner and are a lil different. Everyone seems to have a preference or opinion on certain things (chrome lining, twist, etc...) A few things you need to look out for: 16" barrel or 14.5" with a pinned/permanently installed flash hider totaling 16" (NFA), M4 ramps are a must for me, flat top uppers need an BUIS or (back up iron sight) most standard upper assemblies have a gas block front sight.

Here's a quick list of most of the stuff you need, the lower is the only part of the weapon that requires FFL transfer everything else can be mail ordered or picked up relatively easily:

Lower: Striped or assembled
Lower Parts Kit: (LPK) if you go with a stripped lower
Buffer tube: Mil-spec or Commercial
Buffer Spring
Buffer Body
Castle nut
Bolt
Charging handle
Upper: Assembled or Stripped(not quite as simple as doing a lower)
Stock
BUIS for flat tops

AR wrench and some common hand tools and you're good to go.

P.S. Watch out for that little detent spring if it takes off on you its really hard to find!
CootCommander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks guys for the info. I'll start my research and parts list. I'm going to take my time and build an ar. That way I can build as funding allows and it makes sense because I'll know the rifle inside and out. Let the fun begin.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcity View Post
Just like most things...you get what you pay for. When it comes to quality, fit, finish and resale, the top name is Colt. Bravo Company, Noveske, LMT and Rock River also produce good factory built rifles.

The rest of the field (Olympic, DPMS, Delton, Spikes, etc) are all fine shooters, but they are cheaper for a reason.

When it comes to resale, you take a chance with a build as a Franken-gun can be harder to sell than a higher end factory build.

Final note, you can go crazy with your AR attaching accesories and making it clunky and heavy. KISS (keep it simple...)
bcbz71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
Trigger

And don't forget Bushmaster in the top name brands. Be wary of Colt unless you go all Colt component's, because a lot of their parts are not compatible with other manufactures, and vice-versa.
Patoz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
White Marlin

Send a message via Yahoo to TURTLE

I got this one I put on a different thread. Lots of upgrades. $1000 Rock River. Already has sights, chrome bore barrell, heavy barrell, SOCOM fore grip, flashlight, SOCOM stock( Which is sweet) real nice match trigger.
Attached Thumbnails
AR Purchase-flashlight-162-jpg   AR Purchase-flashlight-163-jpg   AR Purchase-flashlight-164-jpg   AR Purchase-flashlight-165-jpg  
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
White Marlin

Send a message via Yahoo to TURTLE

sold pending pickup, the one i put up any way.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

BCBZ71, yeah keeping it simple. Turtle, appreciate the offer but I need to get rid of a few things in order to purchase. Car and homeowners insurance premiums due this month. Just going to take a little time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in