AR-15, what accessories have you put on it? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 07-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Splittine's step-pappy
Grand Slam

Default AR-15, what accessories have you put on it?

Just bought a new Rock River AR-15, in .556, any suggestions on what accessories to put on it? it's a flat top with a quad rail, so space isn't an issue. the only thing i have bought for it is an EOTech XPS2-0.

from all the research i've done, the possibilities are damn near endless, so I'm just looking for suggestions for must-have add ons, and things that i should stay away from.

Thanks, -John
John B. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Snapper

Quad rail. Foreward grip. Tac Light. Flip up front and rear. Single point or 3 way harness. Grenade launcher.
ZombieKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
Splittine's step-pappy
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKiller View Post
Grenade launcher.
John B. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
Grouper

http://www.surefire.com/M910A-Vertical-Foregrip

Its expensive but it will blind the hell out of someone.
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 11:59 PM   #5
Grouper

Amazon has the surefire 6p on sale for 59.00......I know it's not the most expensive light, but can beat that IMO.
Apollo46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
Kazadius Quantarious
Grouper

I have 500rds of Malaysian 5.56, M193 .556 for $120 if anyone needs bulk ammo
saku39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
Snapper

Just to give you an idea of were to start here's some photos of my ARs.

I like to build my ARs by purpose.

On the top is my Bravo Company Manufacturing (BCM) A2/A4 clone which is use for longer range shooting, iron sight training and nostalgic purposes.

The next one down is my Knights Armament Company (KAC) SR-15. This is my lightweight close quarters rifle. I prefer the long rail in order to reach out on the handguard in order to make transitions to targets fast. Also, the midlength gas system with the Battlecomp muzzle brake make follow up shots ridiculously easy. In order to keep the weight down I deliberately chose an Aimpoint T-1 red dot mounted in a La Rue mount. I chose a Surefire M600C mounted in an offset La Rue mount. For the for-grip I chose the Magpul AFG for its ergonomics. This SR-15 has an integrated backup iron sight (BUIS) in the rail and one at the rear. For pistol grip I chose the Magpul MIAD for it's ergonomics, it points much straighter than the stock A2 grip. I chose a Magpul MOE stock for it's light weight. For sling attachment I have a Magpul ASAP plate for single point and a quick detach (QD) swivel on the rail to use as a two point sling. A BCM charging handle for easier manipulation of the charging handle. The KAC SR-15 also features an ambidextrous lower which makes this lefty happy. Also included factory was the KAC two stage trigger.

The bottom AR is my Smith and Wesson M&P15. This serves as my backup or general purpose AR. It's a brick at nearly 10lbs unloaded. For optics I chose the Aimpoint M4 and Aimpoint 3x Magnifier, both are mounted in LaRue mounts and allow the 3x Magnifier to swivel out of the way when not in use. The rail is a Daniel Defense Omega which is an easy to install free float rail. For lighting, a Surefire X300 in a La Rue mount. A Magpul RVG short for-grip. I prefer using the AFG, but the carbine rail is too short to use an AFG effectively. Magpul MBUS Gen 2 sight for a rear BUIS. LMT SOPMOD stock that came with my SR-15. I didn't like the SOPMOD with the Aimpoint T-1 the height of the stock made it difficult to index the Aimpoint T-1. A Geiselle Automatic two stage High-Speed series trigger.

There are so many options with AR-15s. My suggestion is to narrow by intended use. The builds in my pics are mostly final, but even now I sometimes have plans to change things up a bit. I've wasted a ton of money on useless products before I've settled on these builds which work for my intended purposes and I've tested them extensively. What may work for me may not work for you since we will probably have different philosophies of use, but I'm just giving you some rough suggestions on were to start.
Gravity3694 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 11:48 PM   #8
Grouper

How do you like your angled fore grip? I've been looking into the magpul afg.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:12 AM   #9
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo46 View Post
How do you like your angled fore grip? I've been looking into the magpul afg.
I like it, but it really depends on your shooting style. I like an isosceles stance and like to reach out as far as I can on the forend. It's quite ergonomic for it's intended use and has a much more streamlined appearance than a stubby grip. The two bottom methods of gripping a fore-grip is how I use my fore-grips.

Gravity3694 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
Grouper

I love the look of the vertical grip, but it gives me the spray and pray idea. Angled seems it would be better set for accuracy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in