Ammo Price Gouging - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 08-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Ammo Price Gouging

Hi,

My son bought his first pistol the other day - a 9mm. The store he bought it from 'permitted' him to buy two boxes of ammo. (I learned about the whole deal after the fact).

So, as we drove from different stores in the Pensacola area looking for a safe to put his new gun in, I noticed the price gouging that some gun stores were doing. I mean they are charging more for 9mm target loads than I pay for 257 weatherby.

One store said you could buy all the 9mm you want - low velocity target loads at 30 dollars a box.

If this were a hurricane and people were gouging us for plywood, then someone would step in...but not for ammo.

Anyways, Jeff Quinn has a great youtube video on the price gouging, and I agree with it. Basically, the shops who are screwing us over...hopefully you'll be left with a pallet load of overpriced ammo and everything else in your store - we'll all come back afterwards for the 'going out of business sale'.

Leaky Waders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Powerstroke Medic
Grand Slam

Here's my take, it is not so much the local shops, they don't get much of a price break. These ammo prices are like the 3.75 gas either use it or sell your gun.
[email protected]
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-D...48503005194874
Spoolin Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
White Marlin

Wal-Mart is your friend for ammo.
706Z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

"Here's my take, it is not so much the local shops, they don't get much of a price break. These ammo prices are like the 3.75 gas either use it or sell your gun."

I disagree, when one store sells some ammo for 14.99 and another sells the same boxed brand for 29.99...there's some gouging going on. Gas prices aren't doubled depending upon where you purchase in the same county.

No need to sell my guns - I reload and have plenty of stuff on-hand for my hobby.

Personally, if I were buying a new gun in a store and they would only sell me two boxes of ammo, while they had cases sitting on the ground...I would have told them to piss off.
Leaky Waders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
DLo
White Marlin

Ammo is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it, just like anything else. If people won't buy it at that price then they will charge less.
DLo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
Trigger

I've heard Walmart buys on contract and that's why their prices remain cheap. I bought 9mm fmj ammo at academy in mobile for 10$ for 50. I found a website where I buy my ammo. www.gunbot.net. You put in the caliber and it searches tons of sites and tells you what's in stock and a price per round. It's super nice.
reel trouble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 02:55 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Great video and very valid points!!!
Gamble0613 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
White Marlin

should have stocked up way before....I saw all this coming and don't see it changing as long as we have the people in charge now, and all the anti-gun people too

Bill
..........................................semi-RETIRED......
ironman172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
Sailfish

I'm not sure you can gouge for something you don't need. It's not food, fuel, or water we're talking about.
gator7_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaky Waders View Post
Personally, if I were buying a new gun in a store and they would only sell me two boxes of ammo, while they had cases sitting on the ground...I would have told them to piss off.
I have never bought a handgun from a dealer in FL so I am not sure, however, I was under the impression without a CWP you cant buy both handgun and ammo at the same time?

As far as ammo prices go, you have to shop around. It sucks but I think allot of places bought a bunch of ammo when it went sky high and now they are trying to get rid of it at the same price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in