6.5_06 Reloading Data? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 04-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default 6.5_06 Reloading Data?

Any one shooting this caliber have any pet loads that are working for you???

Please include barrel length and twist.

This is the most confusing load data I've ever researched. The Hodgens web site lists max load of H4350 about 4 grains below where I'm at in load development. But the Nosler load data I'm .5 grains below max.

Any way mine seems to like the 120-130gr bullets better than the 140gr...the 1:9 twist kind of had me thinking it wouldn't.

This is what I'm getting out of it right now...don't ask why I put IMR when on the paper...it's not...it is H4350. The target is a 5" circle
Attached Thumbnails
6.5_06 Reloading Data?-20170401_200023-jpg  

Last edited by CaptnC; 04-05-2017 at 04:03 PM.
CaptnC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
Grouper

What a company states is a reference guide. Each company will use a different rifle, different primers, different COAL. With my 260 using H4831 SC. I think the max load Nosler states for a 130gr is 47.5 grains, Hogdon states 46.6 grains, and the max load Hornady states is 49.9 grains with a 130 grain projectile. If you arn't seeing any pressure sign right now I would use Noslers reloading data and work your way up until you find something that satisfies you without any pressure signs.

On a side note with that type of group are you measuring to the tip of the bullet or the ogive?

Last edited by Brandon_SPC2; 04-12-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Brandon_SPC2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_SPC2 View Post
On a side note with that type of group are you measuring to the tip of the bullet or the ogive?
I'm using the tip of the bullet, but I purposely seat a bullet long and use the bolt to seat the bullet. That way I can seat the bullet accordingly.

I know that is kind of a "bubba" way of doing it, but its seams to be working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #4
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnC View Post
I'm using the tip of the bullet, but I purposely seat a bullet long and use the bolt to seat the bullet. That way I can seat the bullet accordingly.

I know that is kind of a "bubba" way of doing it, but its seams to be working.
Spend the $50 on one of these and it will tighten your groups up a lot. A bullets length with be different from bullet to bullet. Not much but like my Bergers I have seen them off by as much as .020" in length. So if you are measuring to the tip, the part that actually contacts the rifling (ogive) will vary which could cause flyers. Usually ogives are more consistent bullet to bullet and lot to lot but this tool will help out a lot. Like the load you have above load one to the tip you normally did and measure the length of the ogive and load the rest to the ogive measurement. You might have to play with it a few thousands but I bet it will tighten that group up.

I use to seat to the tip until I started working up loads for longer range 600 - 1,000 yards and eventually on out farther. I had the biggest headache until I had someone in the long range game that recommended this to me and I won't load without one. Just a side note after I was looking at the target. Granted it could be other things but at least this tool will have your loads seated more consistent.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/348...6z8aAg_O8P8HAQ

Last edited by Brandon_SPC2; 04-13-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Brandon_SPC2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in