40 vs 45 which and why? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 08-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
White Marlin

Send a message via Yahoo to TURTLE
Default 40 vs 45 which and why?

I'm debating if I should get the guys 40 on here and would like to get some input. I have many 45's but have never owned a 40 so I don't have a stock pile of ammo for one so I need justification. I don't see a whole bunch of ballistic diff and cost is close so is there something I'm missing about the round? Is there a pro to it ? Let me hear what you got.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Grouper

Ill sputter an stutter, mabe some of the more well known shooters will join this thread with facts,,, But the 40 cal Has more FP of impact, has the vel of the 357 mag BUT can shoot 180 gr in simi auto frame, an holds more rds that a Mag wheel. AAHmmm was told penitrates windshields better without deflection like the 9mm an 45acp, Or the 40 can be tamed a bit with 155gr an hits just like a 357 mag but with simi action. Myself Im stuck on the SA 1911 45acp, So I dont know enough to brag on a 40 YET... LOL, There both very good cal ammo. It has to fit you an how you like the muzzleflip VS both are nasty knock down rds... My Babblin 1/2 cent worth , ole carver
TheCarver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
Sailfish

With the proper self defense ammo -- 9mm, 357 Sig, 40 S&W, 45 ACP all perform acceptably as a self defense cartridge with similar terminal ballistics. The 357 Sig and 40 S&W operate at much higher chamber pressures than 45 ACP, so you can expect a little more muzzle flip with those -- especially in pistols with a short barrel.

A 45 caliber bullet will always make a bigger hole, increasing you odds of hitting a vital area (pump, plumbing, or computer).

As for me personally, if I am going to employ a .400 diameter bullet -- I'll do it in a 10mm Auto case simply because the terminal ballistics of "full power" 10mm Auto ammo rise to a higher level over the other common pistol cartridges. At 100 yards, a full power 10mm Auto bullet has more energy than a standard 45 ACP does at the muzzle...
scubapro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Mingo

The good thing about the .40 is that the frame sizes are the same as 9mm. ..45, and 10mm are longer cartridges, so the firearms are inherently larger. The diameter of the .45 usually decreases their capacity compared to a .40, although some, (including me) don't sweat high capacity, as long as it can be reloaded easily. (ie mag change as opposed to revolver speedloader)
smithnsig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubapro View Post
With the proper self defense ammo -- 9mm, 357 Sig, 40 S&W, 45 ACP all perform acceptably as a self defense cartridge with similar terminal ballistics. The 357 Sig and 40 S&W operate at much higher chamber pressures than 45 ACP, so you can expect a little more muzzle flip with those -- especially in pistols with a short barrel.

A 45 caliber bullet will always make a bigger hole, increasing you odds of hitting a vital area (pump, plumbing, or computer).

As for me personally, if I am going to employ a .400 diameter bullet -- I'll do it in a 10mm Auto case simply because the terminal ballistics of "full power" 10mm Auto ammo rise to a higher level over the other common pistol cartridges. At 100 yards, a full power 10mm Auto bullet has more energy than a standard 45 ACP does at the muzzle...
Exactly. I personally dont shoot .40 as well as I do 9mm or .45. For self defense the end result is pretty much the same and that is why I chose a caliber I shoot more accurately.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
Grouper

I knew some real Brother in arms would put facts in there. Truth is I like both Cals, But IM a HardBall 45acp Lover,,, Carver
TheCarver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
Blue Marlin

45 acp and a lot of it due to it's rich history as a round developed for stopping power.

Believe it was the gun and round developed to stop natives down south in the philippine island chain in the early 1900's Spanish American War that were fairly impervious to "other" rounds...
http://www.scribd.com/doc/50673977/4...philippine-war

Last edited by markw4321; 08-23-2012 at 05:40 PM.
markw4321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
Blue Marlin

Like I said in another thread: the 45 acp has been delivering death since it was employed in 1906. The 40 is a very good round as well, but like I've heard before, they don't make a .46
MULLET HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

You guys need to watch this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tku8Y...ature=youtu.be

Its an ER doc talking about GSWs.

Basically in modern ammunition there is very little difference between the common hand gun calibers.

It boils down to, handguns suck at killing people, rifles are really good at killing people and that is why your handgun is just a tool to get to your rifle. hehe
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
Snapper

I prefer 9mm because I realize that 9mm, .40 and .45 all have similar wound ballistics. With that, it just makes sense to carry in a caliber that has more capacity, lighter and easier to manage recoil.

If I had to choose between .40 and .45, I would go with .40. Most .45 handguns run noticeably larger in size and in a double stack mag they get quite chunky.
Gravity3694 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in