308. "battle rifles" - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 08-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
Snapper

Default 308. "battle rifles"

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the saiga 308?

I am looking to get a battle rifle in 308. but dont wanna spend $1000 on a DPMS

I have been looking at the cheap century G3/Cetme clones, but it seems they may be too problematic, so im looking at maybe getting a saiga

My main thing is i want a 308. hi cap (20rds) and under $700, I also have been looking at .223 cheap Galil century clones, but like all century products, can be hit or miss, Ive been thru the AR and standard AK phase so those two dont intrest me, has anyone on here converted their saigas? I can deal with lack of pistol grip, but it would be nice to have

let me know if you have or shot the 308, thanks!
carman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Sailfish

G3/Cetme clones I HAD ONE TOO BUT I HAD NO TROUBLE OUT OF IT, cheep mags now it is rough on the brass.

mine was an older one that was when century had a good reputation for quality guns, when they moved to the other plant is when they went for mass production and there name starting getting tarnished

i was in it for $900 with all the other stuff that came with it and i sold it for $950 a few years later and bought a dpms lr308

i was looking at the saigas also and still am. there was one at the Appleseed shoot we went to he had no problems out of it(loud as hell) but my daughter (13) at the time scored better with her 10/22, again it is a battle rifle like sk' and ak's keep it in a 9in paper plate at 100yd should BE good enough for battle i guess.
ubers had one 5 months back for $400 something i went to get it and someone beat me to it.
i would still buy one and i have a dpms (THAT I DO LIKE A LOT)

buy sell trade
http://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com
chevelle427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

I have owned the Saiga in .308 and my only complaint was the trigger. Have the conversion done and replace the trigger!
NASTY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

Only downside to the Saiga 308 is the expensive mags.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
Grouper

No experience with the Saigas, but PM'ed you with an alternative.
FlFrayedKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
Snapper

The undisputed king of .308 Black "battle" rifles is the FAL/L1A1 (SLR to us British Army Vets), the FAL is the metric version, the SLR, the Imperial version, the FAL's were made by Argentina, South Africa (still used) and used by over 90 countries, The Imperial's were made and used by England, Australia, Canada, India and Pakistan if memory serves.

I carried one during the Falklands war, originally had wood architecture, then was converted to Plastic for weight saving.

I've seen them from $500 for a FAL to $1400 for a British/Australian, sold my L1A1 SLR on here a few years ago.

Here is a Century arms FAL.

Hope this helps.

Skippy
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 12:54 AM   #7
Snapper

Love the fal, is there a big difference between that and the south african R series guns?

I dont have big money to spend so it seems i am limited to century builds
carman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 05:58 AM   #8
Snapper

I would probably just save for a DPMS LR-308. The AR-10 platform is much easier to mount optics on, inherently more accurate, far more accessories options and easier to accurize.

The FAL would still be my choice if I wanted a KISS simple battle rifle. I have an M1A right now, but I mostly chose it for nostalgia reasons. The M1A isn't exactly as great as it's claimed to be either. For the time the FAL,M14 and G3 came out they were great choices, but the revival and perfection of the AR-10 platform beats all of them.
Gravity3694 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
Sailfish

Default In The Past.......

.......I have owned a HK91 and a FN/FAL(inch). Both were great guns.....EXCEPT ---> the HK sent the brass out into ya-ya land,never to be seen again. It was somewhat hard to reload for since it had a fluted chamber and would absolutely EAT brass. It had a few parts that made the assy/disassy somewhat "tricky".

The FN/FAL's gas piston seemed to be always dirty. A carbon scraper was mandentory. But then I am a biggie on CLEAN. As dirty as it got it(or the HK91) never failed to work properly.

If you decide on a FN lemme know, I believe that I might have a few pieces of "associated equipment" laying around someplace. ----SAWMAN
SAWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by carman View Post
Love the fal, is there a big difference between that and the south african R series guns?

I dont have big money to spend so it seems i am limited to century builds
From my limited experience, I understand the "R" version (Rhodesian Army) have been well and truly abused, poorly maintained, and therefore well worn out, as they have been, and still are, carried on a regular basis and only released to the market when they are no longer serviceable, based on their value in that country.

Century, who probably by the "kits" for pennies on the dollar, can afford to "recondition" them, as they charge a hefty premium when finished.

Anything under $1000 will probably be a kit gun, the Century does seem to be hit or miss, however, everything is tunable, and parts are readily available

Try and get a DSA reciever with the diamond cut bolt carrier, that or a Hesse, these seem to be able to produce the best accuracy and reliability.

I did a search on gunbroker, and there are auctions starting at around $500 and going into the $4000, quite a spread for sure, good luck with your search.

When I was in the British army, we used to be able to convert our semi's to full auto for a short period of time, with just a wooden match stick (it wore out quick), was fun at the range, although we did get in trouble a few times

Skippy
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in