300mag vs. 30-06, discuss - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Like Tree109Likes

Old 01-26-2016, 10:44 PM   #1
Grand Slam

Default 300mag vs. 30-06, discuss

So I'm fidna pick up another rifle and have lines on both a 30-06 and a 300mag. The 300 just seems like way too much rifle, though the reduced recoil ammo tames it a bit. The 300 has legs with full house loads that the 06 will never have. Good for big fields or powerlines I reckon. Dead is dead, but I don't want to throw away 10 pounds of meat either. What say those who use either one?
sure,icanfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
Splittine's step-pappy
Grand Slam

How far do you realistically feel you will be shooting? What is your glass budget? Would you ever travel to hunt game out west?

Answer that and I'll give you my honest, no BS opinion. Lol.
chaddd and Jibber like this.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:51 PM   #3
Sailfish

For deer... Who cares. Huntin in BW the deer will never know the difference and you prob won't shot far enough for it too matter. I heard the 22-250 is a good round. (I had too!)
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 10:55 PM   #4
Grand Slam

22-250 is legit, it's used a lot all over the country, end of that story.

IF I were to get the 300, I'd still tote it in the woods but would look into doing the power line thing since it's almost point of aim to 300 yards. I have a meopta ready to go on whichever I get.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:59 PM   #5
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sure,icanfish View Post
So I'm fidna pick up another rifle and have lines on both a 30-06 and a 300mag. The 300 just seems like way too much rifle, though the reduced recoil ammo tames it a bit. The 300 has legs with full house loads that the 06 will never have. Good for big fields or powerlines I reckon. Dead is dead, but I don't want to throw away 10 pounds of meat either. What say those who use either one?
Here is my opinion and there are people that use magnums down here and I do not knock them for it it is just a personal preference. To me there is no point in having a 300 win mag for hunting down here and granted I don't see the need for a 300 win mag unless you will be taking very long shots and what I mean by that is out past 400 yards. Both shoot the same bullet just one shoots it a little slower. Personally me if I lived out west I would have one or actually a 300 RUM and practice out at extended ranges to use the edge that a 300 win mag or 300 RUM has over a 30-06 but hunting down here I have never had a shot over 300 yards. Farthest shot I have taken was 296 yards and that was on a coyote and that was with a 30-06 shooting 150 gr SST. The coyote was sitting facing me I held in the middle of his neck and the round hit center chest and kept on going.

So my thoughts are unless you will be shooting long range there is not reason to buy it first over the 30-06. Ammo is more expensive, more recoil, and a dead deer will not know the difference. Also with the way bullets are engineered today you get a 30-06 pick the right bullet and you are good to go. Now if I could find a good deal on a 300 win mag and I had the money I would get it re-barreled to a 300 RUM.

Have you ever shot a 300 win mag? If not I would ask someone on this forum if you could shoot theirs a few times before you purchase.

Now this is off topic of the 300 or 30-06 but one rifle I have absolutely feel in love with and it took a second to grow on me was my dad TC venture in 243. We were out shooting that the other dad and that rifle shooting 95 gr SST was printing a group under 2 inches at 200 yards. There is not excuse if you miss a deer with that and I would feel comfortable killing on with that out to 400 yards if I practiced. I'm gonna see if he will let me buy it off of him but I doubt it.....

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 01-26-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Brandon_SPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2016, 11:00 PM   #6
Grouper

Wirelessly posted (Brandon's iPhone.)

Both are probably overkill for here, and both are capable of killing probably any North America game animal. Granted if I was gonna plan elk, moose, Kodak bear hunts out west is go with the 300. Ammo is readily available for both, little easier to find the 30-06 ammo around here. Either rifle is gonna kick like a mule, the recoil reducing ammo is probably a good idea...
500mike likes this.
Baker8425 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2016, 11:04 PM   #7
Splittine's step-pappy
Grand Slam

30-06... biggest deer I ever killed in FL was 280 yards... I shot a doe the week before at 336... both didn't know what hit them.

If you were hunting bean fields and had a good rest to shoot 400+ yards, I would go with the 300, but for down here, there is no need. As Brandon mentioned, ammo is high, not readily available like the '06, and personally, I don't want my shoulder to hurt.

Reduced recoil loads are pointless. If you're planning on shooting reduced recoil out of the 300, why not just go with the 30-06?
Brandon_SPC and UncleMilty7 like this.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:05 PM   #8
Sailfish

[QUOTE=sure,icanfish;5640282]22-250 is legit, it's used a lot all over the country, end of that story.

I was just pulling your chain.
sure,icanfish likes this.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:05 PM   #9
Splittine's step-pappy
Grand Slam

[quote=chaddd;5640330]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sure,icanfish View Post
22-250 is legit, it's used a lot all over the country, end of that story.

I was just pulling your chain.
Just not for chest shots... lol
Old 01-26-2016, 11:12 PM   #10
Grand Slam

The 300 is a TC venture for 350. Only reason it appeals to me is because of the reduced recoil stuff, basically you could have a 2 speed rifle, room to grow maybe. No doubt the 06 would be easy to feed but the ammo price isn't all that much of a concern, I mean, how many deer am I gonna shoot?!

Whatever I go with, I'm gonna use it (carry it) this weekend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in