10 22 shooting - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Old 09-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default 10 22 shooting

Help me out. I just got a ruger 10 22 ,went to range today and could not see down sites shooting right handed no matter how I position the riffle. Just would not line up. I tried left side and could shoot looking thru the sites fine. I thought the gun was just too short for me . Call me stupid but does this mean I am a left handed shooter? Ihave two glocks and shoot right handed. Have not tried left handed. If this helds...I write, and throw right handed. I bat and box left handed. Now I think I shoot left handed. So If I can only see down site on my left does that make me a left handed shooter?
cedkarpar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Send a message via AIM to fisheye48

put some optics on it and problem is solved
fisheye48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Videographer
Sailfish

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...r-dominant-eye
Try this test for dominant eye......but regardless of which one is dominant you can learn to shoot right eyed/handed.....probably should stick to right since you shoot pistols right handed already.
Many rifle sights Make is hard to impossible to have both sights in focus at one time. This isn't really important since once you practice getting your cheek weld in the same place each time....you will not use the rear sight anyway.....just the front bead is all you need.
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
Snapper

Dunno if this would help for you, but...

If you want to stick with iron sights on a 10/22 get some Tech-Sights, the stock iron sights on the 10/22 aren't that great. The factory stock also have a crummy cheek weld.
Gravity3694 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
twiceRetired Serve No One
Blue Marlin

your right handed and left eye dominate , you will have no problem with a hand gun

google what other people like this do to help you more

HisName is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

If you were having trouble seeing the sights...you might want to flip up the rear one.

I'm left handed and left eye dominant...but I don't like bullets flying across my face, so I just shoot rifles right handed.

It really does not matter if you are left or right eye dominant. Practice shooting with whatever your weak side is, then it won't matter.
Quietgenialboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 02:51 AM   #7
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
Blue Marlin

Talking

Sell it to me, I'm looking for one...
MULLET HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
White Marlin

I believe he said he could not line the sights up, not that he couldn't see them.

This is a problem I have with rifles with high comb stocks. I bought a Remington 40X from CMP, laid out over $200 for a set of sights for it but couldn't get my mug down low enough to get the sights lined up, the stock was too high. Same goes for the Mossberg model 12s they were selling. Only the Kimber model 82s had a low enough comb that I can get low enough to line the sights.

Some people have narrow set eyes and their cheekbone bottoms out before they can get their eyeball low enough. Only cure is to change to a lower comb stock or raise the sights, neither I would have done to a beautiful 40X.

Rick
shootnstarz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
Grand Slam

Do you have the same problem when shooting other long guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedkarpar View Post
Help me out. I just got a ruger 10 22 ,went to range today and could not see down sites shooting right handed no matter how I position the riffle. Just would not line up. I tried left side and could shoot looking thru the sites fine. I thought the gun was just too short for me . Call me stupid but does this mean I am a left handed shooter? Ihave two glocks and shoot right handed. Have not tried left handed. If this helds...I write, and throw right handed. I bat and box left handed. Now I think I shoot left handed. So If I can only see down site on my left does that make me a left handed shooter?
Outside9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

I have always shot right handed, last time I shot the M4 I found out I was left eye dominant. I've switched to shooting long guns left handed and my shooting has improved. I can still shoot pretty good right handed since I learned that way since I was a kid, but now I can get a better sight picture. I'd say try and start shooting dominant side.
rolltide64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
10 22

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in