Old 04-04-2019, 09:30 AM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Interesting read. Thanks for posting!
Snagged Line likes this.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
One eye fishing,
Snapper

^^^ditto...
I'm experiencing some minor problems with battery power management on my first boat ever with two batteries and a perko switch.
I like the idea of having one battery in reserve and running all day on a primary battery. But when I crank my motor, my humminbirds give a low voltage signal and shutdown. It takes much longer than desired for them to reboot before I'm ready to get underway.
Also, a couple of times after fishing for extended periods on my trolling motor while my cranking battery is running two humminbirds, air bubblers, and probably music, the one battery has failed to crank the motor and had to switch to the other battery or two batteries to get the outboard started.
Thinking about buying better batteries, but would like to fine tune my battery management If I'm not doing it correctly.
Should I be running and cranking with the perko switch set to 2 batteries and only shut down to one battery for running accessories while I am fishing or beached?
New rig with Yamaha f250 XB and 2 Deka 'Marine Master' 650cca batteries.
Any input appreciated...

Last edited by WannaBay; 04-07-2019 at 12:09 PM.
WannaBay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
Green Eggs And Ham
Grand Slam

X-Shark installed this BEP Switch for me and it takes all the thinking out of it, I love the fact it is done automatically. X-Shark explains it in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Shark View Post
In the 1st pix is a BEP Cluster switch. That makes the 28th of the units I've installed.

Here is a explanation of how they work.

BEP Cluster Switch.

You start your day by turning the Start switch and the House switch to ON.
At the end of the day you turn them both OFF.

It doesn't get any simpler than that. You don't have to remember to turn from Batt 1 when going out and switch to Batt 2 on the way back in. Just something else that you have to remember.

OK so what goes on with it is done all automatically thru the VSR [Voltage Sensitive Relay]

The Relay is in a closed position. As soon as you hit the key to crank the motor the relay opens, due to sensing a large surge of current.

Ok the motor is cranked and running now. The relay is still open. The Alt is charging the Start battery until it reaches a set voltage and charge.

Then the relay closes and is back charging Both the Start & House Battery.

Now another feature that happened when you hit the key is your electronics were ON and wired from the House battery. This will stop any spiking of the Electronics. They don't like to be spiked!

OK...Now your out sitting on the beach. The motor is OFF, but you have the Radio playing for hours. The Relay senses the drop and opens the relay again. The radio is still playing, but the relay just disconnected the Start battery out of the circuit so that it stays at Full charge to start the motor.

When you get ready to leave the beach and crank the motor the alt will charge the Start battery first and when it's back up, the relay will close and charge the House battery.

There is one more switch on the Cluster. It is the Combine switch. Think of that as Jumper Cables without having to dig them out and hook them up. This switch would normally be in the OFF position, until you need a boost on the start battery. Then turn it to ON. After the motor is running turn it back OFF.

Everything is all Automatic. No thinking about it. Your batteries will have a much better charge in them.

The unit pictured above is just slightly larger than a Perko switch. So it doesn't take up much room and takes a LOT less room than the Blue Seas version. It looks cleaner too, due to the cables that are needed on the Blue Seas version.
Attached Thumbnails
Good Battery Info-bep-switch-jpg  
WannaBay likes this.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #5
Green Eggs And Ham
Grand Slam

Just another tip if people didn't know, a pvc threaded 1/2 cap will screw right on a lead terminal of a battery, to keep metal objects from touching it.
Attached Thumbnails
Good Battery Info-agm_battery-jpg  
Catchemall likes this.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:51 AM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Glad to see this post.
Thanks
jacksimonton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019, 10:07 AM   #7
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Another addition..... I have always defended Wallymart batteries in the past but NO MORE!!!

I bought 2 new batteries in Dec 2018 (1 starter/1 electronics). The other day I checked because I had NO power. My on board charger was flashing red. Put the batteries on my regular charger and it wouldn't recognize the batteries. Checked with a volt meter and 2 volts so I said the batteries are trashed. Was planning on going out the following day so went to Walmart and the vehicle section was closed and NO ASSOCIATE could help me so I was told to come back in the morning!!! Went back the following day and they said ohhhh well we have to check them and what the machine says goes! So they put them on the charging machine and each registered 1 volt.... OK, I'm not an expert but I'd say bringing a 12 volt battery back to life from 1 volt wasn't going to work!!! But the machine said they must be charged for 1 hour and 45 minutes!!! They asked if I wanted to wait??? They only had 1 machine and I wasn't waiting a total of 3.5 hours!!! IDIOTS!!! So I went back home and they said they would call me!!! Around 4pm I called them and they said 1 battery was trashed and I would get a new one but the other was still on charge!!! Well they close at 7pm so around 6pm I hadn't received a call so I drove up there again (and I don't live down the road)!!! Well they said the other battery was now charged but I got a replacement battery fer the other. I asked if I could just get a refund but was denied! The kicker is, the NEW BATTERY does not get a year warranty!!! They warranty for the NEW replacement battery will go out in December 19 when the old one was expiring?????? I'm not a big hell raiser but I did voice my disapproval, and WILL NEVER GO BACK TO WALMART again (unless the batteries go out again before the warranty goes out)!!!

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019, 10:26 AM   #8
Bearded Brotula
Grand Slam

AGM's for the win! They're expensive, but so worth it. Mine have been trouble free.
Boat-Dude likes this.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:09 AM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Excellent read.
Thanks
Boat-Dude likes this.
jacksimonton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Another addition..... I have always defended Wallymart batteries in the past but NO MORE!!!

I bought 2 new batteries in Dec 2018 (1 starter/1 electronics). The other day I checked because I had NO power. My on board charger was flashing red. Put the batteries on my regular charger and it wouldn't recognize the batteries. Checked with a volt meter and 2 volts so I said the batteries are trashed. Was planning on going out the following day so went to Walmart and the vehicle section was closed and NO ASSOCIATE could help me so I was told to come back in the morning!!! Went back the following day and they said ohhhh well we have to check them and what the machine says goes! So they put them on the charging machine and each registered 1 volt.... OK, I'm not an expert but I'd say bringing a 12 volt battery back to life from 1 volt wasn't going to work!!! But the machine said they must be charged for 1 hour and 45 minutes!!! They asked if I wanted to wait??? They only had 1 machine and I wasn't waiting a total of 3.5 hours!!! IDIOTS!!! So I went back home and they said they would call me!!! Around 4pm I called them and they said 1 battery was trashed and I would get a new one but the other was still on charge!!! Well they close at 7pm so around 6pm I hadn't received a call so I drove up there again (and I don't live down the road)!!! Well they said the other battery was now charged but I got a replacement battery fer the other. I asked if I could just get a refund but was denied! The kicker is, the NEW BATTERY does not get a year warranty!!! They warranty for the NEW replacement battery will go out in December 19 when the old one was expiring?????? I'm not a big hell raiser but I did voice my disapproval, and WILL NEVER GO BACK TO WALMART again (unless the batteries go out again before the warranty goes out)!!!
Yup. F an EverStart. Bought a new battery for my skiff. Came home, installed it, launched boat....no start. C'mon man, I got the only Yamaha starter that has ever failed? Tried everything to get the starter to turn over....jumped relay, jumper cables...nothing. Took boat to dealer....they were backlogged 30 days. 30 days later, they call - battery needed charging. $120 repair bill.

WTF, over? New battery from Walmart needed charging? Yessur....3hr charge and it's good to go. Paid the Yammy dealer and took battery to Walmart. they checked it out...yup, GTG. NOPE. I want a refund and my $120 repair bill. 1 hour and 3 managers later....battery refund and $120 cash money in my pocket.

as I said...F a WalMart EverStart battery. Never again. Put in a Duracell and sold the boat.
bcbz71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in