Fishing SPAM - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Suggestions & Support > Forum Suggestions

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

Default Fishing SPAM

A few months ago a friend of mine was banned from this board for offering fishing reports (exclusively) from his Charter business.

Now I see many out of area reports that are thin on technique/ pattern but include pictures, good stories and charter info websites in their posts.

I'm NOT against them, in fact I enjoy them. But what is the difference between the posts.

The local Capt, included general area, patterns, and pictures along with his website.

I think we lose something when local and non-local charter captains are excluded from posting fishing reports even if it includes "SPAMMISH" information.

How about 2 new Topics:

1. In Area Charter Reports

2. Out of Area Charter Reports

Jim

Jim

Last edited by jim t; 04-11-2011 at 09:31 PM.
jim t is offline   Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

Your friend wasnt banned for posing his reports, he is was banned for others reasons. He was only banned for 3 days. We cant sit here and go through every post on this forum, most of the threads that are deleted for spammimg are alerted to us by members. We do not allow people to post links to sites in their first couple post like posting in the classifieds, they have to become contributing members to do so. But I nor the other mods can check every thread to ensure this is not happening. I think this horse has been long dead.

Last edited by Splittine; 04-11-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Splittine is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

Sorry, it wasn't presented that way...

It was presented that he refused to stop posting his reports from his Charters.

I'll bet there were numerous PMs back and forth, I have no knowledge of the nature of those messages.

The "official" posted reason he was banned was that he only posted SPAM reports.

I'm sure there was drama in the background. I've not spoken to him since this all came about. I've only received an e-mail that said "Thanks for your support, let's go fishing..."

I yet to have the opportunity to take him up on his offer.

How many members have been banned? I know of two.

How many have been banned because of like curcumstances?

I understand he was not liked by numerous members on this site. Some of those members who did not like him I consider MY friends as well.

Was this member banned (even for three days) because of board violations in public? Private? Or just because?

Jim
jim t is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2011, 03:06 AM   #4
Trigger

"We cant sit here and go through every post on this forum, most of the threads that are deleted for spammimg are alerted to us by members. We do not allow people to post links to sites in their first couple post like posting in the classifieds, they have to become contributing members to do so. But I nor the other mods can check every thread to ensure this is not happening. I think this horse has been long dead."

Forget it Jim - the above is double speak for "we will do it the way we want and sometimes we will follow the rules and other times we will make up some rules and above all we will be inconsistent". That is the mantra of the current PFF management and volunteer help.
whyworry is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 06:21 AM   #5
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim t View Post
Sorry, it wasn't presented that way...

It was presented that he refused to stop posting his reports from his Charters.

I'll bet there were numerous PMs back and forth, I have no knowledge of the nature of those messages.

The "official" posted reason he was banned was that he only posted SPAM reports.

I'm sure there was drama in the background. I've not spoken to him since this all came about. I've only received an e-mail that said "Thanks for your support, let's go fishing..."

I yet to have the opportunity to take him up on his offer.

How many members have been banned? I know of two.

How many have been banned because of like curcumstances?

I understand he was not liked by numerous members on this site. Some of those members who did not like him I consider MY friends as well.

Was this member banned (even for three days) because of board violations in public? Private? Or just because?

Jim
I have banned probably 50 or more people, 98% are first post spammers like the IPhone threads you see or people posting business websites in their first post. The people posting local business ventures are warned, made aware of the rules and alot become contributing members, the others like the Iphone deal are banned on the spot cause they have no interest in the forum other than to sell their product. There is alot more to the reson why your friend was banned, alot of it has to do with bashing other members mostly in a creative way in his posts which alot of people didnt catch unless they read other inshore reports ( and no it wasnt other guides, it was regular weekend fisherman). I cant sit here and let you know the entire history of what has happened on here with him but over time it was added up and that day it broke the camels back. And to be honest with you Jim I wasnt even the one to banned the cat. No one has been banned "just because" it is the last resort and not a decision I want to make.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:29 AM   #6
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyworry View Post
"We cant sit here and go through every post on this forum, most of the threads that are deleted for spammimg are alerted to us by members. We do not allow people to post links to sites in their first couple post like posting in the classifieds, they have to become contributing members to do so. But I nor the other mods can check every thread to ensure this is not happening. I think this horse has been long dead."

Forget it Jim - the above is double speak for "we will do it the way we want and sometimes we will follow the rules and other times we will make up some rules and above all we will be inconsistent". That is the mantra of the current PFF management and volunteer help.
Im sorry you feel that way. You have done nothing but criticize this forum and the way its ran since you have been on here. Every single one of the mods on here has a full time job and a family and cant spend every waking min on here to "police" it. Bout the time you started in with your criticism was the time we were getting all the new forum rules and mods into place. You spent every online minute scutinizing what we did and how we did it. This thing didnt happen overnight but in your eyes it should have been the way you think it should in a matter of hours. I dont know how you come to the conclusion that we are inconsistent with rules with some and not others. In the last month I had to erase 2 buddies threads cause they were not within the rules, could I have "overlooked" them yes but thats not fair. We try to do everything we can fair to all. Thanks again for your lovely comments. At least you ain't as bad as some, I've had people give my death threats, wish death upon my wife and kids, wished rape on my wife all because they had a thread deleted in the classifieds. This is a forum its not that hardcore, so if you think you can do it any better please feel free to contact the owners.

Last edited by Splittine; 04-12-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
White Marlin

Same ol' drama queen, same ol' story...and no matter what light you try to put it in, the only reason he posts anywhere is to advance his charter business, errr excuse me, his university.

Has he even won a redfish tournament to have the right to call other guys "minor league redfisherman"??
Wharf Rat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
White Marlin

Jim I'm the one who banned Eric...if you want you can give me a call and I'll give you the details to the best of my recollection, but you are correct to assume that there was more stuff behind the scenes and in pms than what was posted on the open forum from either side. And no I didn't ban him for "spamming". Basically he posted a thread in every section of the forum bitching and moaning and so on and so forth...I deleted all of them but ONE (yes I left one, everyone has the right to have their grievance heard) that wasn't good enough for him so he copied and pasted it all again, once again I deleted it all but ONE. He proceeded to send me love letters via pm, and i let him know one thread was enough and if he kept copying and pasting the same thing over and over again I was just going to ban him since I didn't have time to play games. He pretty much told me he would do what he wanted and then went back and posted his complaint in almost every section of the forum...it would of been every section but I hit the ban button before he got to the bottom of the page.
biggamefishr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in