Family Fishing Help - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Misc. Forums > Need A Crew? Need A Ride?

Old 07-21-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to PompNewbie Send a message via Yahoo to PompNewbie
Default Family Fishing Help

Ok Guys and Girls Ive posted for some help before but I'm going to try it this way...

My wife is showing some intrest in fishing and Ive taken her out twice with very limited sucsess (croakers, pinfish, etc) but nothing she could keep or be proud of...same for my 2 boys. allthough my 4yr old was quite happy about catching two croakers at once.

I have a 19' CC skiff and I am looking for someone with some inshore knowledge to put them on some fish...This is a free trip for you no gas no bait nada...I dont care where we launch or where we go as long as they enjoy themselves. Ive never taken the boat offshore so kinda want to stay Inshore allthough Im not opposed to trying the pass or maybe the Mass and I dont have a GPS.

Thanks in Advance

Mike
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
PompNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Default RE: Family Fishing Help

get any help yet
swafia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
Sailfish

dude - chill....

I'm in the same situation as you...but, mine was a year ago. My wife and kids basically lost all interest in fishing and boating, but I stuck w/ it and things are starting to come around.

I've started to figure the area out and now catch a lot more fish. Here's my opinion.

1) get a GPS and some navigational software (Garmin makes some good stuff that isn't really all that expensive)- it will help A LOT. Learn to use it along w/ Google Earth (maps.google.com). Learn the area from the comfort of your home and use software to scout out some spots.

2) Buy a "hot-spots" map at Outcast - they are about $20.00. This has some "spots" but don't just go the coordinates listed on the map. Instead use the spots as a starting place. Once at the spot - start exploring. Remember one of the reasons YOU bought a boat was to be on the water - enjoy it, scout out some spots, get to know the areas. Look for birds (herons, osprey, and eagles all live by catching fish - find some patterns).

3) http://www.freetidetables.com <-- Hint! Hint! Fish during times of tidal movement not when tides are slack.

4) Listen to the Pros on the Forum. Eric H. always offers a lot of information (didn't he already send you a cheat sheet from the HLS Seminar last week???). Also listen to the 100's of other amateurs on the forum. Especially true when it comes to bait selection, rigging, and areas to fish.

5) Read the Inshore reports. Get familiar with the spots that people talk about and photograph - Archie Glover, Pass, Redfish Point, Oriole Beach, Santa Rosa Sound, Garcon Point, etc... <-- I'm sure there's more, I'm just trying to make a point.

6) Relax and enjoy being on the water. There are 100's of 1000's of people that dream about having a boat and going fishing - you're living the dream. Chill, pay attention to details, and relax. The fishing WILL pickup.
60hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
Grouper

great advice from 60hertz! i also want to add saving your fuel bill for one month and hire an inshore charter. there are a great many on here. if you ask who to go with, each capt will say use the other capt. much respect for that! the point will be not to catch fish that day but to learn learn learn. they dont mind showing locals the ropes. they cant all rely on tourists to fill their schedules. one thing to keep in mind too is that 2 adults and 2 kids on a 19' anything is tight quarters. now you are wanting 1 more to go? i know my wife would be pissed about 10 minutes into that mess!! my advice is for you and the wife get a babysitter and both of you do the inshore charter. you wont regret it
725 W Garden St (corner of A and Garden)
791-6607
[email protected]
http://www.pensacolaimports.com
freespool50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in