Where to buy wood chunks? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Misc. Forums > Recipes and Stuff

Old 01-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
Roll Tider
White Marlin

Default Where to buy wood chunks?

Been looking to find a place near my house with a variety of woods in CHUNKS, not chips. Haven't been able to find any Cherry or Apple in chunks anywhere. I live off of Olive Rd/Scenic hwy. So somewhere off 9th/Davis and the intersecting roads is what I consider close.. Thanks
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Been looking to find a place near my house with a variety of woods in CHUNKS, not chips. Haven't been able to find any Cherry or Apple in chunks anywhere. I live off of Olive Rd/Scenic hwy. So somewhere off 9th/Davis and the intersecting roads is what I consider close.. Thanks
Bass Pro Shops sell bags of chunk wood. Apple, Cherry, Mesquite and Hickory in a couple sizes of bags.
Lowe's and Wal-Mart sells Hickory and Mesquite.
Paymaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
WW2
Sailfish

You may or may not know this so I am going to throw it out there. You can smoke with any hardwood. Much of the smoking I do I use the fallen branches etc from the yard, or after I trim up the trees I will use that as well. If you haven't tried the local trees you should.

That being said I have seen Apple at the Wal-mart in Navarre but it's not standard. You have to get lucky to get it.

And like Paymaster said Bass Pro sells a good mix.

Or, if you want really close there are websites that sell it and ship it to your house. :-)
WW2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Trigger

maybe its a crazy idea as I dont own or remember the last time I used a smoker....but could you "flavor" your wood? soak in say a water/apple juice mix or other fruit flav? maybe add of tray of apple juice or other liquid in the smoker?
Rocko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
maybe its a crazy idea as I dont own or remember the last time I used a smoker....but could you "flavor" your wood? soak in say a water/apple juice mix or other fruit flav? maybe add of tray of apple juice or other liquid in the smoker?
I use fruit wood but I also use apple juice in my water pan and I spray the meat I smoke with a mix of 1 part Cider Vinegar and 5 parts Apple Juice about once per hour.
Paymaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
Reeling them in
Grouper

Go to the farmers market on Palafox Saturday mornings, a guy there sells a ton of different wood chunks there for either $1.50 or $2.00 a bag. The bag is rather small but it will do you a few smoke sessions. Cherry, wild cherry, pecan, apple, sasafrass, pear, etc.....
Gaff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
Beeracuda
Trigger

I get mine @ Sports Academy at Olive and Davis. They normally carry 50lb. bags of Mesquite, Pecan, Hicory and occasionally Apple(chunks not chips)
. They are very reasonable in price as well; $15 a bag is what I remember.
florabamaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
Sailfish

I bought a big bag of apple chunks at publix yesterday in navarre...around 8 bucks
halo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
Snapper

Haven't done it yet, but when I cut back the Cherry Laurel's in the backyard going to try them in the smoker. It's a soft wood but has a beautiful cherry smell when you cut the limbs. Winn Dixie on Bayou Blvd had big bags of split pecan last year for $10 each. I got two and have just about used them all, but they don't have it again this year. They do have small bags of chunks in the store but they're pretty pricey. I usually go through a couple of the small bags when smoking ribs and butts.
Florabama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
White Marlin

The grocery advantage in cantonment has bags of various wood chunks pretty cheap or they did back in October, I would think they still have them give them a call.
Hopin4aboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in