What to eat? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Misc. Forums > Recipes and Stuff

Old 05-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
Mingo

Default What to eat?

I have been here for a while and am absorbing about as much as possible, but we will be in perdido in a couple weeks. Now I know that pomps are the king of the to eat, but any help on the rest of this lsit of what to do with them? Eat or use for bait for something else?

Redfish - Am I correct, still one per person in the slot?

speck trout - do they taste better than freshwater trout?

ladyfish?

bluefish?

whiting?

mullet?

mackeral - king or spanish?

anything else that I am leaving out that we should eat? I think this is about the list from last year's catch.

Thanks for the help, I have found a lot of recipes, but can't seem to find a oen stop shop for what is worth eating and what is not. IF there is one, please direct me! Thanks for all the help and if you are in Perdido the 2nd weekof June and see 2 rednecks fishing off the beach pretending to knwo what they are doing, that will be us!
sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: What to eat?

Redfish are excellent, not sure of Alabama regs, Florida is one per person.

Ladyfish - Never heard of anyone eating them, mostly used as cut bait, shark bait

Freshwater trout tastes better in my opinion, but specks good. They may have white worms in the tail area, but ok to eat.

Blue fish, King mackerel, Spanish mackerel - More oily, fishy taste some people say, but the key is to cut out the blood line. But good to eat in my opinion. I love Spanish, one of my favorites. Even make raw sushi out of it.

Whiting - Good

Mullet - A basic staple in this area for years, I like it smoked.

You didnt mention it, but the hardhead catfish you will catch are not that good. Tried it once. Most people throw them back or use for cut bait. The gafftosail (?) is supposed to be good to eat, but never caught one.

Pompano - good
Sailor50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
Mingo

Gaftops (sailcats) are good. White meat, mild flavor, a little lacking in texture, but quite tasty. Have only had them fried.

Dale
Triple C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 01:47 AM   #4
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

Quote:
Sailor50 (5/28/2009)Redfish are excellent, not sure of Alabama regs, Florida is one per person.

Ladyfish - Never heard of anyone eating them, mostly used as cut bait, shark bait

Freshwater trout tastes better in my opinion, but specks good. They may have white worms in the tail area, but ok to eat.

Blue fish, King mackerel, Spanish mackerel - More oily, fishy taste some people say, but the key is to cut out the blood line. But good to eat in my opinion. I love Spanish, one of my favorites. Even make raw sushi out of it.

Whiting - Good

Mullet - A basic staple in this area for years, I like it smoked.

You didnt mention it, but the hardhead catfish you will catch are not that good. Tried it once. Most people throw them back or use for cut bait. The gafftosail (?) is supposed to be good to eat, but never caught one.

Pompano - good
Alabama...(Red Drum/Redfish)slot 16" to 26" 3 per person and 1 of the 3 may be oversize.

Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
Mingo

Thanks for the replys guys. I have heard about the catfish, but honestly, a week of fishing off and on last year, we did not catch one, so i forgot about it. I do remember most people saying they were not much good to eat. We are going to try most of what we catch this year, but just curious which should be bait first!! Thanks
sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in