Spicy Pickled Papaya - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Misc. Forums > Recipes and Stuff

Old 01-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Reeling them in
Grouper

Default Spicy Pickled Papaya

I have not made this for about a year but today i got the urge to make my specialty. You can eat this with almost anything but I really love it with Korean style ribs and as a topper for hotdogs. We also eat this with pork chops and it is the heat. The ingredients are fairly simple: green papaya, a whole onion, salt, pepper, vinegar and your choice of hot peppers ( I chose three habaneros this time). I use a fairly large glass container that fits all of these ingredients perfectly. You can get the green papayas at a lot of Asian stores. I cut the papaya in half both length wise and width as well. Then I cut it into thin slices and some a little thicker but not too thick. Do it any shape you want really. The same goes with the onions but don't chop it up as it will be hard to take out of the container. For the garlic I use about 5 pieces or so and put it in my manual garlic press. For the salt and garlic I use about a little less than a teaspoon. I leave in the seeds in for my peppers and I also roast them as well to bring out the heat. Mix all the ingredients together, I put the papaya slices last after all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed. It is going to take at least 24 hours for the papaya to absorb the awesome flavor. Make sure you keep this in your fridge so it will last for a long time. I have kept mine in the fridge for months and it stays crunchy and tasty.

I will post up some pics a little later, I took some on my iPhone but I will try something with the DSLR.
Gaff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Reeling them in
Grouper

Pic is not that clear but you can see the papaya and the orange/red bits of habaņeros floating around along with the garlic and onions.
Attached Thumbnails
Spicy Pickled Papaya-img_6555-jpg  
Gaff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Pickled papaya... seems like something exotic. Anyways, I take it I will like it if I like marinated ginger, garlic and things like that... I will only it it with vegetables rather than meat since I am a healthy eater.
HColeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in