Smoke King (to Die For) Step by Step - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Misc. Forums > Recipes and Stuff
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree22Likes

Old 05-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Smoke King (to Die For) Step by Step

First catch some King Mackerel and ICE them well as soon as possible. The coolder the quicker the better. I perfer to catch them out of my Kayakwhich is quick, cheap and fun.

Clean into chunks discard 'little pieces" and all red meat. Chill and do not freeze.

Here is the total list of ingredients:

1 Gallon King chunks.
1 1/2 Cups (Packed) Lite Brown Sugar
4 Tblspns Morton Salt
1 1/2 cups water (bottle or filtered - not tap with chlorine in it)
3 hours NON-Nut wood for smoke. Wild Cherry, Alder, Apple, Maple, etc... not a nut wood much too acidic.

Put salt and brown sugar into a bowl with water mix until dissolved. Pour into ziploc gallon of king chunks - work the bag to remove all air and get chunks coated with brine. Let brine 1 hour. While brining get the smoker and wood chunks ready. Lightly coat the smoker racks with olive oil and get the brined King.

Place the chunks around the smoker to evenly cook and cover the chunks. You each know your smoker - this is how mine works best.

Notice - don't plug in/start the smoker yet. Once your meat in out you must let it air dry for about an hour. Here's the chunk right out of the brine:

During that hour get your heat source ready, just make sure that it's ready an hour after you start the air drying process. The air drying process sets the glaze which is called pellicle and is the key in any quality smoked meat. The glaze is set by the outer cells absorbing salt and sugars until they burst and create a 'slime' (hey it's a tasty slime!) Here is the same piece after the pellicle has set.

Now your ready to start the smoking process - for the first couple hours you want to keep it around 160-180F and have lots of smoke finish the drying process of the pellicle and set the smoke into the outer layer.

This is how I start the heat and the amount of wood for smoke. The wood I use is Wild Cherry.

There is no basting or flipping the meat. Constant low temp and smoke are your curing tools. Our piece after an hour of smoke and 170F.

Some more smoke...

Getting bearly there after 2 hours...

...more smoke...

MMmmm, now the fat is being rendered out of the meat - part of the cure.

Keep adding fresh wood for the smoke and heat. After 3 hours kick it to 200 to dry the outer layer or keep it at 170F for another couple hours.

Whether you finish quick of let it linger you'll want your meat to set a firm skim of smoke and flavor though the chunk. It should reduced in fat/oil and show a frim "edge" between muscle that wasn't clear at the start. Our piece at four hours 30 min and done.

Let cool on the rack and bag for the fridge. This makes great dip or sliced for crackers - really good with a full bodied red wine, dark wheat beer or single malt.

When sliced it should show the edge where the glaze stopped and will have the great flavor though the fish. This also works REALLY well with Red Salmon and other fatty/oily fish.

:hungry
Stressless
Stressless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Default RE: Smoke King (to Die For) Step by Step

clap:clap
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Send a message via AIM to fisheye48

Thanks Stressless!!! now im even more hungry:banghead thanks for the idea...might try if with another fish and see if it turns out
fisheye48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
CJF
Trigger

DANG!!!:bowdown That looks yummy! I have the same smoker. I took out the warming rack on mince and extended the chimney all the way down to cooking grate level. also wal-mart has a thermometer for smokers that is really accurate.

Dam fine looking meal! What time is dinner?:letsdrink
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
White Marlin

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=SmallTxt width="80%"><DIV id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl1_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer &#111;nmouseover="InstantASP_OpenMenuMouseOver('_c tl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl1_s mAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopics Repeater__ctl1_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','< table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'413\ '); &#111;nmouseover=\'&#119;indow.status=&#119;indow. location;return true;\'; &#111;nmouseout=&#119;indow.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'413\'); &#111;nmouseover=\'&#119;indow.status=&#119;indow. location;return true;\'; &#111;nmouseout=&#119;indow.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'413\'); &#111;nmouseover=\'&#119;indow.status=&#119;indow. location;return true;\'; &#111;nmouseout=&#119;indow.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');" style="DISPLAY: inline" &#111;nclick="InstantASP_OpenMenu('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl1_smAuthorName', '_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl 1_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'413\ '); &#111;nmouseover=\'&#119;indow.status=&#119;indow. location;return true;\'; &#111;nmouseout=&#119;indow.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'413\'); &#111;nmouseover=\'&#119;indow.status=&#119;indow. location;return true;\'; &#111;nmouseout=&#119;indow.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'413\'); &#111;nmouseover=\'&#119;indow.status=&#119;indow. location;return true;\'; &#111;nmouseout=&#119;indow.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');">Stressless</DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

one question: when is dinner bro.....yumm:bowdown
Hydro Therapy 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
Grouper

Great post!
HighCotton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
Sailfish

Awesome tutorial. What's your favorite ingredients to include in a dip with that?
need2fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 12:15 AM   #8
Sailfish

Downtime2 will prolly bust my balls but I use this smoked meat in his dip recipe and OMG is it GOOD! Can't make enough .. ever.

Wades Smoked Tuna Dip = https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...2958-51-1.aspx

Here is the original dip from Wade, obviously I use the king so just start where you chop up the cooked meat and don't add the liquid smoke. So I downgrade the meat and upgrade the smoke. I made this with the Yellowfin from a last year and it was heaven on a cracker.

Quote:
Wade?s Tuna Dip

Ingredients:

About 3 pounds Yellowfin Fillets.

3 Bricks Philadelphia Cream Cheese

2 Bunches Green Onions

1-Cup Hellmans Mayonnaise

2 Large jars of diced Pimentos (6 oz. I think)

cup sweet relish

1 cup diced jalapenos

cup dill relish

Garlic Salt

Cayenne Pepper

Lemon Pepper

Mesquite Liquid Smoke

Olive Oil

Directions:

You want to start with a non-stick skillet. Using a small plate, roll the fillets in olive oil coating both sides good. Pre-heat the skillet. You want it almost hot enough to start smoking. Throw in the tuna. Season it pretty heavy with garlic salt and lemon pepper at this time. Cook it all the way through. (Medium well??) Take the tuna up and put it in a big mixing bowl. While you waiting for it to cool, in a separate bowl, pour the relishes and pimentos together. I usually season this with all the seasoning and mix it. Don?t drain anything, just pour it in. Season this mixture to taste with the garlic salt, a little regular salt, cayenne pepper, and a little regular lemon pepper. Dice the green part of the onions up and add them to this. Mix it together and let stand. Add a few drops of the liquid smoke to the mixture if you want to give it a little smokey flavor. Go back to the tuna. I always just tear it up as fine as I can with my hands. Seems to take out any lumps. Do this as soon as it cools enough to handle. In the same bowl, add the cream cheese to it. Use a big spoon and mix it till the cheese is blended evenly. Now, pour in all the other stuff and mix well. Add the mayonnaise at this time. I usually use about a cup. Mix it all together. Put it in a serving bowl, cover and refrigerate. You may have to add a little more mayonnaise if it?s feels kinda dry. That will be the cheese firming up again.

That?s it. Hope ya?ll enjoy it.

Wade Hatten

:mmmbeer

Stressless
Stressless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #9
Snapper

Thanks for the post, helped me a lot as still learning how to do the smoking thing.
Sailor50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #10
Grouper

I use to have a smoker just like that and they work well....Great looking grub.
saltfisher1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in