Pecan Encrusted Grouper with Tomato Cream Sauce - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Misc. Forums > Recipes and Stuff

Old 03-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Pecan Encrusted Grouper with Tomato Cream Sauce

of course, you'll need grouper (or snapper or other flaky filets). i typically cut mine so that they're only about 1/2" thick - they seem to hold together better this way and you get more pecan flavor by having more surface area.

then, you'll need:

flour, pecans, egg, half-n-half, some canola oil to cook in, a can of MILD rotel tomatoes, some corn starch (in cold water)and then something to go with the fish. i prefer some caribbean rice (coconut milk in yellow rice with black beans, pineapple chunks, and some jerk/creole seasoning).

start by opening the rotel and draining the juice into a med saucepot. chop the tomatoes into very fine pieces and then add them to the pot. pour in about 1-cup of half-n-half and put over medium heat. in a cup on the side, add a couple tablespoons of corn starch to a couple table spoons of COLD water and stir it really well with a fork or wisk. make sure you don't have any lumps. get the mixture in the saucepot to a low boil and slowly pour in some of the cornstarch mixture as you continuously stir. gradually add starch until you get a lightly-thick consistency - about like a heavy-cream consistency. reduce heat to low and let simmer with a lid on.

while prepping/cooking the fish, you can cook your yellow rice and set aside.

next you get the meal by chopping your pecans until they're a med-course meal. if you canfind pecan meal to buy, more power to ya!

pour your oil in a skillet about 1/4" deep and get it good and hot while you prep the fish & meal.

mix the pecan meal 1:1 with some plain flour and put in a gallon ziplock bag. add some salt, black pepper, and a touch of garlic powder - to taste.

mix one egg and some half-n-half and put in adeep platefor the wet dip.

dredge the filets inthe egg/HnH mix, then toss them one at a time into the pecan/flour mix. shake them up a bit, then pull them out and drop them in the hot oil. cook to a light golden-brown. continue with all your grouper until done. let the pieces sit on a paper towel for a minute or so before placing on your final plating.

back to the rice - after drained, mix in a small can of coconut milk, some canned pineapple chunks, and about a half-can of drained/rinsed black beans. i usually add a little jerk seasoning and a little cumin to this and stir well.

now place some grouper filets on a plate, dribble some of the tomato creame sauce over the filets, then add some carribbean rice to the side.

ENJOY!

[i'm cooking some this weekend for the inlaws, i'll try to get some pics]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 11:45 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Default RE: Pecan Encrusted Grouper with Tomato Cream Sauce

All I can say is WOW! That was an amazing recipe/diner. Will be cooking that more often thanks for not holding back.:clap
Gixxer2202 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 12:25 AM   #3
Grand Slam

SOUNDS GREAT, ESPECIALLY THE RICE. :hungry

Call me crazy but never thought about coconut milk and rice. :banghead:banghead
Deeplines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
Grouper

Quote:
Gixxer2202 (3/24/2008)All I can say is WOW! That was an amazing recipe/diner. Will be cooking that more often thanks for not holding back.:clap
THANKS!

that's one that i came up with after seeing several similar ones that were MUCH more complicated to pull off. the way i've got it now - i can prep and cook the entire meal in WAAAAAY under an hour!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in