How do you Smoke a brisket? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Misc. Forums > Recipes and Stuff

Old 02-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Grouper

Default How do you Smoke a brisket?

I'm going to smoke a brisketand I would like to hear ideas from all of you. What's your favorite method?
Flounder Hounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: How do you Smoke a brisket?

Wood smoker with mesquite chunks. I forget the formula for the weight to time tho. I have a special marinade I use. I dont like hickory or fruit tree chunks cause it makes the meat taste too sweet.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
Sailfish

Send a message via Yahoo to amberj

slow and low, it normally takes around 16hrs too cook a brisket to where its good and tender. Plan on giving it lots of love while you are cooking it. Dont forget to baste it. Remember if your looking you aint cookin.... I cant get into very many details or I would be giving away our secrets... Good luck. Pm me if you have any questions.
amberj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
Trigger

banana flavored zig zag papers...mmmm mmmm good
OBsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
SaltWaterDave
Sailfish

Man theres alot to learn with brisket. I usualy start the fire around 6 am on my smoker with a firebox, cooking indirect heat. I always have it thawed for a day before I cook ,if it has been frozen, and have had it marinated in something, applejuice, or beer, or italian dressing or something for 8-12 hours. I like to find some kind of rub and put it on liberally all over the brisket. Then I cook it fat side up ( so the fat melts down into the meat helping with moisture) right next to the heat at about 350-400 for at least 8 hours depending on the weight, I use an internal meat thermometer to judge when to take it off I prefer 155* in the thickest part of the meat. Using charcoal to start the fire I periodically add chunks of PECAN for the smoke and flavor.

Good luck with it, add some sausage links around lunch time because people will start getting the munchies, have plenty of beer on hand and invite all your neighbors. It has always been a social event for me, lots of friends and family invited.
naclh2oDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

have'nt smoked a brisket yet, but I've smoked ribs and a pork tenderlion.. They both turned out great.. You can get woodchips from wally world for like 1.97 a bag.. They say to use the whole bag, I've used like 3/4 of a bag after 2-smokes...But, If it has to stay on the grill too long I too would coat it every few hours with something..
wld1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
Cigar Minnow

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">1- whole untrimmed brisket (they can be from 7 to 14 pounds) Get a small one if you <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"> don't have a long time to cook.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"> TIP: When selecting a brisket to cook pick up the brisket and see if you can fold the<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"> two ends together (or close to one another). I have found these to be the best<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"> to cook.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"> cup of worcestershire sauce<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">1 to 2 cups of TEXAS BBQ RUB (what I use, any rub such as Byrons Butt rub can be used)<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">First, <U>never </U>trim the brisket. You want the fat on the meat while it is smoking. The brisket will have 1 side that is covered with fat and the other side with just a little fat. Start with the fat side and shake worcestershire sauce on it and rub it with your hands all over the fat side of the brisket (including the sides and ends). Next take a handful ofrub and rub it over the fat side of the brisket right on top of the worcestershire sauce. Apply the rub fairly thick. Remember this piece of meat is big and is going to be cooking for quite a while. Flip the brisket over and repeat the worcestershire sauce and rub routine on the other side of the brisket. Since this is the side that will cook up on the pit apply about 1 handfuls of rub on this side. You will notice that the rub has started to turn into a paste, it does with the Texas bbq rub anyway. This is what you want to see. If it is not then add a little more worcestershire. That is it, it is ready to cook.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Use the indirect method of cooking, use a great tasting wood flavor (I use mesquite) and place the brisket, <U>fat side down</U> on the rack in the cooker. Point the thick side of the brisket toward the heat source. Cook as follows:<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"> 200 degrees - Cook for a total of 12 to 16 hours<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"> 225 degrees - Cook for a total of 8 to 12 hours<DIV class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"></DIV><DIV class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">The brisket will be done when a food thermometer reads 195 degrees or until you can stick a long pointed object into the thick part of the brisket with very little resistance. Just cook it long and slow. <U>The longer it</U> <U>cooks the more tender it gets</U>.</DIV><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">TIP: Never cook at above 225 degrees as this will boil the fat out of the center of the meat.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">OK now for the SECRET that will make your brisket as tender as any meat you have ever eaten. About 2/3 of the way through the cooking of the brisket you are going to wrap the brisket in aluminum foil. Double wrap in foil. Tear off about 2 pieces of heavy duty foil approx. 30 inches to 36 inches long. Take the brisket off of the cooker (don't poke it with a fork or anything else as you let out great juices) I use heavy rubber gloves to handle all of my meat with. The brisket is going to be real hot so be careful. Place the brisket on the first sheet of foil. Fold up the edges of the foil to keep the sauce we are getting ready to add from getting everywhere. Take about 1 - 1 cups ofbbq sauce or some other liquid (Coke, Dr. Pepper, beer, etc) and pour over the brisket (you should still be fat side down). Now wrap it in the first piece of foil, then wrap another piece around that. Place it back on the pit, fat side down again. Finish cooking. When you are ready to take off the grill be real careful as you might tear the foil and the sauce and juices of the meat can get on you and they will be hot. Take the brisket in and let it rest (cool down) approx. 1 to 3 hours. I take my knife and scrape off the fat on the top of the brisket and then cut into inch pieces against the grain. The fat end of the brisket has more fat than the thin end. With a little practice you will learn how to carve off the fat before slicing. <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">A brisket will lose approx. 30% of its weight during cooking. You can figure approx. pound of meat per person. And the leftovers (I hope you have some) are even better the day after you cook. Make a brisket sandwich with cold brisket or heat it back up by wrapping it in foil and heating it at a low temperature.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">THIS IS SOME FANTASTIC PIECE OF MEAT. ENJOY.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">
suthern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
SaltWaterDave
Sailfish

There are some good tidbits to add to my method, Thanks.
naclh2oDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #9
Grouper

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">A brisket will lose approx. 30% of its weight during cooking. You can figure approx. pound of meat per person. And the leftovers (I hope you have some) are even better the day after you cook. Make a brisket sandwich with cold brisket or heat it back up by wrapping it in foil and heating it at a low temperature.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">THIS IS SOME FANTASTIC PIECE OF MEAT. ENJOY.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">[/quote]<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Man this is some good info, I'm getting hungry and all I have is the chow hall. Too add a little tricks to Suthern's advice. I like to get a couple 2 liter bottles of Coke a Colaandslow boil the cola till the fizz is gone and it gets a little syrpey. Let that cool in the fridge. Next rub the Brisket down with a dry rub, I like Emirles Southwest seasoning do a search on foodtv.com and get the receipe. Mixing it your self is much better than the southwest in the store. Once it is rubed down and the Cola is cooled off, put the Brisket into a suitable container and pour the cola over it let it mainade at least 8 hours. I use Hickory and Mesquite together 50/50 or some times stright Mesquite. I always soak my wood chips in coolwater for about 1 hour so they burn slower and give off better smoke.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">My basting trick is to use a spray bottle, you can pick them up at Wal-Mart Cheap. I <U>don't</U> recommend trying to rinse outan old Windex bottle, yep know somebody that tried it. In the bottle I use 90% Apple Juice 5% Worchestershire and 5% viniger. I usally bast about every 20 min.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Just mix and match some ideas together and you'll come out with your own special way of doing it. I definitaly want to try and use some of Suthern's tricks when I get back to the main land. Thanks for sharing Suthern.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">
GONU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2009, 12:29 AM   #10
Grouper

I may have missed it BUT after all your cooking methods posted above are utilized...the TRUE key to great brisket...is how you slice it!

The grains (the way the beef muscle runs) is a bit different than your other cuts...take a look at a brisket whit it is raw...you can see the grain of beef...just like a piece of wood you can see the grain...anyway remember that...becasue you are going to need to slice it on a bias AGAINST the grain...what you are doing is shortening the grain of the beef thereby when you chew it, you are not chewing against it???

Have I lost you? Sorry...

NEVER NEVER NEVER slice a brisket up and down...tilt the blade away from yu on about a 45 degree angle and cut against the grain!
badazzchef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in