good cheap meal - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Misc. Forums > Recipes and Stuff

Old 11-17-2008, 11:26 PM   #1
Apex
Sailfish

Default good cheap meal

any suggestions?
God, grant that I may live to fish until my dying day. And when it comes to my last cast, I then most humbly pray: when in the Lord's great landing net, and peacefully asleep, that in His mercy I may be judged "as good enough to keep."
SouthernAngler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: good cheap meal

Sidelines ,,at the beach
BlueWater2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

Loaves and Fishes is able to supply ample high quality, nutritious meals.oke

Are you talking about going out or cooking at home...I take it..going out.

Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 11:45 PM   #4
Apex
Sailfish

Cooking meals at home. Im in college and am tired of the tostinos, ramen, and fast food. Whats a good meal to cook?
God, grant that I may live to fish until my dying day. And when it comes to my last cast, I then most humbly pray: when in the Lord's great landing net, and peacefully asleep, that in His mercy I may be judged "as good enough to keep."
SouthernAngler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 11:53 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Stir fry. I get a big bag of frozen "oriental" vegetables from Sam's, put some olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, you can add cooked rice, chicken, beef, or tuna, crack an egg or two in it, a little soy sauce, find some stir-fry seasoning or add your own spices. It is pretty quick and you can make enough for leftovers which will still taste pretty good.

Also try making some casseroles. There are normally recipes on the side of Campbell's cream of chicken soup. The cheesy chicken and rice one is pretty good. You can probably google that one.
D-Train is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 12:14 AM   #6
White Marlin

Send a message via Yahoo to konz

A great cheap meal that will feed you for days......get you some of your fav. cheese, some milk, and make a cheese sauce. Brown some beef and boil some elbow noodles.......throw them all together and you got a filling meal. You can go cheaper by buying some mac n' cheese (creamy cheese not powder) and then adding some browned beef.
konz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 12:22 AM   #7
Sailfish

Chili - you can make your own or buy it in the can, crock pot it for a few hours and its goooood this time of year on cool days

Chicken Dumplins - you can buy frozen for the crock pot or in a can to microwave

Near the Hamburger Helper boxes in the grocery store, there are some boxed Meal Kits - - some of them are really good & easy to make (like the lemon herbrice and chicken something like that = yum!)
reelfinatical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 02:27 AM   #8
Grouper

Here is what ya do...Cook you some white rice, or get pre cooked rice. Then get you (2) cans of okra and tomatoes, mix both well, and put a side with it. You will have enough to eat for a couple of days. Whip out a couple of slabs of bread, and lather some butter on them to complete this meal.
SKEETER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 07:29 AM   #9
Trigger

Fry and crumble a few slices of bacon, boil pasta, beat some eggs. When the pasta is done drain and put it back in pot,immediatly pour beaten egg and bacon into hot pasta and toss to mix. The hot pasta will cook the eggs. Add parmesian cheese and salt and pepper.
Atwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 09:41 AM   #10
Grouper

I'm with reelfanatical on the chili meals! I just made half of a 16 qt. stock pot full of chili last week and I have had chili every day since!! I still have almost a gallon left over and some went into the freezer for later in the month when the urge hits me again.

Here is what I do and in no particular quantities of ingredients:<UL><LI>I use dried kidney beans and soak them but you can use canned if you want. They are just much more expensive that way. Anyway, get your beans ready, boil them or open the cans.</LI><LI>I add about a quart of water to the quantity that I made this time just to keep everything from drying out during the cooking.</LI><LI>Brown a couple of pounds of hamburger, drain off the water and fat,and add to the beans. I added 5 lbs. to this last potful and it was just right.</LI><LI>Simmer all the ingredients as you add other things to the mixture. I add veggies according to their cooking rate but you can just throw everything together and run with it also. </LI><LI>I chop up 2 green peppers, a large sweet onion or 2 medium onions, a half of a full stalk of celery, maybe 6 to 8 individual stalks, and I add a goodly amount of about 15 different herbs and spices and a honkin' big portion of chili powder to suit my personal taste. I like spicy chili. Oh, and don't forget to mince a couple of buds of fresh garlic and throw into the mixture. Also, I like to put a couple of large cans of diced or crushed tomatoes in the mix. You can add some tomato paste or replace the water with either tomato juice or V-8 juice if you want to spend the extra money. It just enhances the overall taste of the chili.</LI><LI>I like to add a few tablespoons of tabasco and some Louisiana Hot sauce also but I do like my chili to be spicy. I judge good chili by how much it makes me sweat! Around the back of the head and down the neck, maybe 2 stars, when my entire bald head breaks out in a flowing stream and runs down into my eyes, that is 4 star chili on my scale!!!</LI>[/list]
I don't get into the habanero or extremely hot peppers much. I look for hot but not blistering spice in my chili. If I want to blister my mouth, I'll drink a few shots of Drano and go to the ER for treatment.

You can vary this basic mixture with most anything you want to add. sometimes I add a few pounds of frozen sweet corn or I will cube some Yukon Golds and throw into the mix. I have even substituted popcorn shrimp for the hamburger and it turned out to be very taste tempting!

I haven't gotten into the varous types of homemade soups that you can make from scratch yet. Once you play around with the chili mixture and gotten your fill, try some homemade beef barley soup or some vegatable soup or some chicken noodle soup with homemade egg noodles! The soups are nearly endless in the variety and styles that you can throw together right in your kitchen.Temper the size of your pot of soup by either how much storage room you have in your refrigerator or how many of your buddies are coming over to help you eat your creations!

Oh, and if you like to set out crab traps, you can do a good ol' fashioned Southern Crab Boil and just blow everyone's socks off!!!

Good luck and let us know how your soups turned out.

1. Rust
2. Politicians
Framerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in