Controlling smoker temp - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Misc. Forums > Recipes and Stuff

Old 07-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Controlling smoker temp

I recently purchased a Smokey Mountain Series vertical charcoal smoker. It will be my first attempt to smoke using this type, and I really want to try a prime rib. I know it's an expensive cut to possibly screw up, but I'm hungry. In order to regulate the temperature on this, what would be the easiest way to accomplish this without a lot of fluctuations and possible catastrophies. Thanks everyone!

Brett
Rowlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Controlling smoker temp

go light on charcoal. You can add more, but its hard to remove if you're to hot. Also, take plenty of notes. I always used charcoal for my heat and throw some smaller pieces of wood (pecan, etc) on for the smoke flavor.

When making your notes account for weather temps. It can influence your cooking temp a good bit in the amount of coal you need..

also, try using brine. I've started and love it. Don't know how well it works with beef, but with chicken and pork it makes for a very moist cook. Also, it makes cooking more forgivable as it won't dry out as fast if you cook to high or long.
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Your mom's a
Grand Slam

Lucky for you, you got two things going for you. 1: Prime Rib is tough to mess up in my opinion and 2: Tons of smokers on here -- not in that Bonita Dan way either.

The hardest thing I had to learn was to not start with a fire that is too hot. That's where I always screwed. Medium fire, a few chunks of wood. Get it UP to temp. It's a lot harder to get down once it's too hot.

Best prime rib I've ever cooked though was done in a terra cota pot in the oven. Sounds weird but it was great. Actually, it was a standing rib roast but close enough.
JoeZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
Your mom's a
Grand Slam

See, he beat me to it.
JoeZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
WW2
Sailfish

Keep in mind that smoking is not like turn on oven insert food. There will be temperature inconsistancies and you just have to be aware of what is happening. As temps go down add time and moisture and as temps go up reduce time. One fail safe way to do it is to cook meat to a safe temp(one that kills the bad stuff) then put in smoker to get flavor.

The last method is very easy and allows for some good cold smoking, great method for a beginner. Then as you get more confident and see how the charcoal amounts and temps work then back off on the pre-cooking.
WW2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in