Canned Blackfin Tuna = the bomb - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Misc. Forums > Recipes and Stuff

Old 10-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Canned Blackfin Tuna = the bomb

Last trip offshore we kept about 10 nice blackfin for the table. I've always wanted to try canning and used this as an opportunity. I bought some of the wide mouth canning jars and filled each jar with nice clean medalions of blackfin to about 1" of the rim. Filled the rest of the void space with EVOO. Void space meaning the areas in between the tuna chunks and not the area in between the top of the tuna and rim. Each can received a pinch of sea salt. Also I added various ingrediants to each can including garlic cloves and jalepeno peppers. Pressure cooked the cans at 15lbs for 55 minutes. It took about 30 minutes before the pressure settled down and the indicator popped allowing me to open the cooker. Took out the cans, tightened the lids, and placed them upside down on a towel and allowed them to cool. During this process the lids would pop inward. I let them sit for a few days andI just opened the first can tonight and wow!! This blows away any store bought can tuna. Next time I'll think twice before throwing back blackfin.

Keith
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Canned Blackfin Tuna = the bomb

gonna have to try this....wonder how king would taste with butter, garlic, and a little sugar this way.....
kahala boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
Sailfish

EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil for those like me that had to look it up - thought it might be some fancy canning stuff.

Another trick is what we did for Alaskan Salmon. Smoke your tuna lightly without drying it out - chuck it into the canning jars with no added fluid just pack it in. Can as you normally and then on a cold rainy Jan pop one open.. :letsdrink

Yah it's that good -

Thanks for the heads up but if any BFT make it past the sashimi / smoke and eat stage with Hama (Kahala Boy) I've got to try your recipe.

Just put 200#'s of pogies up for chunking for BFT at the edge this fall.

:mmmbeer

Stressless
Stressless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2008, 11:13 PM   #4
Grouper

King cans nicely. I'm not sure about the butter but it's worth a try! Mullet is my favorite. We've also canned Mingo, Swordfish, Tuna and AJ's. I use to can fish all the time and once the guys at Daybreak tried it, they loved it and I brought my pressure cooker there so others could use it. I haven't canned any fish since Ivan stole my pressure cooker from Daybreak Marina though.

My traditional recipe with Jalapenos is still my favorite although some of the others I've came up with were a hit with others.

Here is the traditional:

Wash out jars with soap and water and let dry. (no need to boil them or the lids like instructions say because of the time you will cook the fish... you can if you want though... it won't hurt anything)

Cut up fish into small chunks (depends on fish but the mullet we would cut into 1" x 1" chunks).

Chop some onions

Lay fish out on table and sprinkle with Tony's and Pepper and Lawerys.

Layer jar with fish, onions, fish, onions until you have about 1/2 at the top.

Top off with a bay leaf and screw on the lid.

Pressure cook at 10PSI for 90 minutes once the valve starts jiggling.

Turn off heat and wait until pressure cooker is ready to open.

Remove jars and let cool. Lids will pop... If not, put it in the fridge after it cools a little and eat it the next day.

Alternatives:

Traditional w/Jalapenos

Same as above but add chopped jalapenos to the onions.... Don't be greedy!!!

Traditional w/Hot Sauce

Same as above but add in a bit of Louisiana Hot Sause

Traditional w/Mustard

Same as above but add a good bit of mustard to the mix. Works great with Kings and AJ's.

I had played around with some Wasabi once and had a unique experience but I can't recall what the fish was or what else I did. It was that mystery can that everyone loved but I could never reproduce.

Thanks for this post too! I'm going to order me another pressure cooker since my hunting buddy is going to try to get some Roe Mullet this weekend and we really like bringing the canned mullet up to the hunting club as a snack!

Chris Couture is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 11:18 PM   #5
Snapper

I've been telling my wife that I was gonna do this since we left Italy. She just gives me the eye-roll. I guessthat I'm gonnahave to follow your lead. Did you use the oil from Shoreline?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:19 PM   #6
Grouper

BTW, you will want to do this outside on a blow pot! Don't attempt this inside the house on the stove because the smell is very strong!

Lil' Scout, I have never added oil or butter to my cans and they were always great. I would think (could be wrong) that the extra oil from the butter or oil would settle to the top while the cans cooled and make it less appealing when the cans were opened and would require mixing up the contents in order to get the full effect. As I said, never tried it so I don't know...

Chris Couture is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2008, 07:57 AM   #7
Trigger

As Chris mentioned oil isn't necessary. The fish will produce natural oil/water during the process. I've liked store bought can tuna and especially favored yellowfin canned using oil. So I used oil to can the blackfin. It does settle to the top but after tasting the fish it's apparent that the oil has infused the fish during the canning process.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
White Marlin

I hear ya Chris. I just finished putting about 30-35 jars of mullet up for hunting season. Some have jalapeno's, some with an extremely hot homeade salsa and some with just salt, pepper and a little cayenne. Nothing better than a jar of mullet with some crackers and sitting on the tail gate.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #9
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

I don'tknow about using so much olive oil......When you pressure cook it, the liquids from the fish come out...A buddy of mine only puts a little in the jar and then some slices of Jalepeno....Mullet is the only canned fish i've tried and it looks like crap but taste GREAT!!!!!:letsdrink

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2008, 03:18 AM   #10
White Marlin

Have any of you ever tried canned sucker? I did about 30 jars a while back and it is awesome when prepared as patties and fried.

www.litethenitecharters.com
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in