Trying to decide what kayak to get - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Old 12-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
Mingo

Send a message via Yahoo to Saltfisher
Default Trying to decide what kayak to get

Ibought a smallerkayak at a garage sale last year for a good dealand have been playing around with it in the bay a little and really like it. It is a little too small for me and isn't that stable. I'm about 6'3" 240 and wouldprobably mainly fish in the bay but putting in at the beach and trying to get some offshore fish looks really cool, so id like for it to be able to manage the surf conditions. any general ideas would be greatly appreciated. like to keep it around 350 if possible as far as price goes.
Saltfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Trying to decide what kayak to get

Have you looked at the Necky Spike for sale a few threads down? I know it's more than what you want to spend but it's a sweet boat that's worth about 3x more than the posted price. If you make a bigger investment up front, you'll probably be much happier in the long run than continually upgrading. Plus, over time you will actually have spent less money.

Also, check out GCKFA Forumhttps://www.gulfcoastkayakfishing.co...egory-view.asp. They often have pretty good yaks posted for sale at decent prices.

Just for curiosity, what make/model do you have now? I have a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160i, 16ft long and 28inches wide. It's a great boat for me and the way I fish. Also great for us long-legged freaks, since I'm 6'2".

Good luck,

Alex
Yaksquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
Mingo

I have a necky dolphin. im not sure on the length but im guessing around 12 feet? its 28 inches wide. its a good kayak I think a wider one would be better for me though, idk if its me or the kayak but it just seems a little tipsy when im in the bay and i wouldnt feel comfortable taking it out in the gulf, which i'd really like to try out. I've read some other peoples reviews on it and most all say its a great kayak unless your a big guy. I don't remember the name, but I saw a ocean kayak in academey sports that i thought looked pretty good, it was about $450 or around there but i cant find it on the internet.

heres a picture of it i took (one on the right), and for some reason i didnt take a picture of the detail card thing :banghead

Edit: I think it may be the Caper, but its about 300 dollars more on their websit.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Snapper

Thats a Ocean kayak drifter
Jig n Hawgs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 12:16 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

i would start checking craigslist or dont know where you are located but yellowfin ocean sports in seagrove beach has a great selection of hobie and ocean kayaks
gulfcoastsurf1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 12:18 AM   #6
Mingo

I live in brewton, AL. but i have a house in navarre that we stay in most of the summer, so anywhere around here in the pensacola/panama city region.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:30 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

yeah they have a great selection and usually have some used kayaks thats where i got my prowler 13 from but really want to upgrade to a hobie mirage driveonce i get some extra cash
gulfcoastsurf1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
Sailfish

Here are a few good kayak shops in the area. At the very least, I recommend stopping by and looking at what they have. That way you will see all of the options that are out there and get to talk to people with lots of experience.

Pensacola: http://www.pensacolakayak.com/

Destin: http://www.kayakexperience.com/

Panama City: http://www.sunjammers.com/

I got my kayak used from Pensacola Kayak and Sail and I know from experience they will let you demo their boats. I don't know from personal experience but I'm told the other places do as well.

At the risk of over explaining. Tipsiness doesn't necessarily correlate with how easy a yak is to actually flip over. Initial (Primary) Stability is what gives you that tippy feeling but Actual (Secondary) Stability is what it takes to actually flip. My boat can feel very tippy sometimes but it's only been flipped over once coming back in to the surf through 3footers.

Not saying you shouldn't look for a wider boat, but it's usually a matter of comfort level. Find a boat that feels good for YOU, and that you're comfortable in.

Good luck,

Alex
Yaksquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in