Too windy - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2018, 06:56 PM   #1
Senior Member
Mingo
 
Saltlife Newb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 148
Default Too windy

Iím new to this yak fishing thing and wanted to know whatís ďtoo windyĒ to be out on the water and does wind direction play a difference. Iím looking at days to go out and itís like 17-25 mph winds. Iíll be going out alone so donít wanna risk it if itís gonna be super choppy


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saltlife Newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-16-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
Senior Member
Blue Marlin
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Crystal River, FL
Posts: 4,067
Default Just because it is the weekend, you don't "Have to go."

Fishing is supposed to be fun. Wind makes yakin' less fun and more dangerous. I've probably said this a thousand times: "It is a lot better to sit on the hill, wishing you were out fishing than to be out fishing, wishing you were on the hill." You can substitute safer for better in the above phrase.

Fish safe water in safe conditions until you become confident in your ability. Leave the tackle and everything else on the bank while you practice flipping the yak and re-entry.

Don't leave anything to luck. Sometimes luck just ain't there for you. I'll post an article/tip on the Boating and Fishing Tip board that might give you some pointers.
onemorecast likes this.
__________________
Captken
http://www.panhandlefishingbooks.com/
captken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2018, 08:57 PM   #3
Senior Member
Mingo
 
Saltlife Newb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captken View Post
Fishing is supposed to be fun. Wind makes yakin' less fun and more dangerous. I've probably said this a thousand times: "It is a lot better to sit on the hill, wishing you were out fishing than to be out fishing, wishing you were on the hill." You can substitute safer for better in the above phrase.



Fish safe water in safe conditions until you become confident in your ability. Leave the tackle and everything else on the bank while you practice flipping the yak and re-entry.



Don't leave anything to luck. Sometimes luck just ain't there for you. I'll post an article/tip on the Boating and Fishing Tip board that might give you some pointers.


Thanks man. Yea being a novice I pretty much look for super calm days to go out which just so happen to usually be when Iím at work lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saltlife Newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 10:28 PM   #4
Senior Member
Snapper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 400
Default

Are you talking about going offshore? If so then yes you absolutely have to pick your days and 20 mph winds should keep you at home. If you're talking about inshore not so much.
wallace1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2018, 10:36 PM   #5
Senior Member
Mingo
 
Saltlife Newb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace1 View Post
Are you talking about going offshore? If so then yes you absolutely have to pick your days and 20 mph winds should keep you at home. If you're talking about inshore not so much.


Yea I only fish the sound since I live in gulf Breeze


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saltlife Newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2018, 01:30 PM   #6
Senior Member
Snapper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 414
Default

I look for 10 mph or less in terms of wind speed but will cheat up a few mph if the wind speed is lower during adjacent time periods. Be aware of wind direction if you go offshore
Salt Lines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2018, 01:37 PM   #7
Senior Member
Mingo
 
Saltlife Newb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Lines View Post
I look for 10 mph or less in terms of wind speed but will cheat up a few mph if the wind speed is lower during adjacent time periods. Be aware of wind direction if you go offshore


Thanks for the tips. I try to look for 12 or less myself but most days when the wind is that calm Iím at work


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saltlife Newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #8
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam
 
lobsterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Okaloosa
Posts: 8,527
Default

Try to find different areas that will allow you to have wind brake for most winds. I fished Saturday with gusts over 25 and still was able to stay safe and catch fish in my yak.
__________________
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.




lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2018, 02:21 PM   #9
Senior Member
Mingo
 
Saltlife Newb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterman View Post
Try to find different areas that will allow you to have wind brake for most winds. I fished Saturday with gusts over 25 and still was able to stay safe and catch fish in my yak.


Yea I found a few canals in gulf Breeze I want to try out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saltlife Newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #10
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam
 
lobsterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Okaloosa
Posts: 8,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltlife Newb View Post
Yea I found a few canals in gulf Breeze I want to try out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That might work for a few times but fish are in transition now and if the cool snaps will stop they will be on the flats in no time at all now. So look for other areas as well.
__________________
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.




lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.