Tarpon, anyone target them? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Old 06-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default Tarpon, anyone target them?

With the dog days of summer approaching its about time for the big migrating tarpon to show up off our beaches. Ive already seen a few actually.

I've seen many of them from the piers but they rarely seemed to want to eat.

Anyone have any better luck targeting them from a kayak along the beaches? I suppose after snapper season there wont be anything to fish for in the Gulf worth a dern other then tarpon, if theyll eat. I imagine that a hundred pound tarpon from a kayak would be a BLAST.

Usually from the piers, people would just throw king rigs with dead cigs at them when they come down the bar. I suppose they could be leader shy. Im thinking some heavier fluro and a live herring or the like may do the trick.

What say ye?
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Grouper

They love fly casting as well as deep water jigs sent off in front of them.
TheRoguePirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Trigger

In the keys they would eat dead pen fish out of a chum line. Of course they were stacked up and feeding but they will eat a dead bait. Before chumming for them became conventional, live pen fish was the way to go.
froglegs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Mines Bigger
White Marlin

Find the biggest pinfish/mullet you can and a 40-60# flouro leader and run the beaches in the morning when the bait it stacked on the drop off or outside the pass on an outgoing tide.
bigrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
2019 Hobie outback
White Marlin

im gonna land one this year!! never had any luck hooking one off the beach but i will try live bait this year. last year i hooked 2 at 3mile at night, both where on trout rods and it didnt last long! one of the poons look to be 140 pounds.

Last edited by bbarton13; 06-11-2012 at 02:37 PM.
bbarton13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Grand Slam

last year at 3 mile i paddled right up to where two of them were swimming back and forth feeding under the lights there, huge and didnt care that i was there. i didnt want to bother trying to hook one since it would drag me around forever then i would have to let it go...
sure,icanfish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoguePirate View Post
They love fly casting as well as deep water jigs sent off in front of them.
Wow,trouble catching specs,but, expert advice on tarpon!Or maybe to much TV.How many tarpon you caught around here,AMIGO?
706Z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD7.62 View Post
With the dog days of summer approaching its about time for the big migrating tarpon to show up off our beaches. Ive already seen a few actually.

I've seen many of them from the piers but they rarely seemed to want to eat.

Anyone have any better luck targeting them from a kayak along the beaches? I suppose after snapper season there wont be anything to fish for in the Gulf worth a dern other then tarpon, if theyll eat. I imagine that a hundred pound tarpon from a kayak would be a BLAST.

Usually from the piers, people would just throw king rigs with dead cigs at them when they come down the bar. I suppose they could be leader shy. Im thinking some heavier fluro and a live herring or the like may do the trick.

What say ye?
100 pound tarpon in a kayak??? You kayak guys are just plain nuts!!! I thought you guys were crazy already for taking a kayak couple miles offshore, but catching something that big?? Yeap, that confirms it... you all are definately crazy....... almost sounds like something I would try... LMAO!!!! Yeap, hook that big tarpon, he pulls you out of the kayak so now your swimming with those big sharks I read about on here.... but that shark is scared away by the big 12 foot alligator that comes along looking for a tasty treat.....

Notice I said "almost" something I would do... LOL

Just joking with ya, but reading the posts from you kayak people confirms to me that you all are crazy..
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

When were they showing up under three mile? I remember seeing several reports about them last year but couldnt remember exactly when.

After snapper if anyone wants to get together and spend a day chasing the silver king let me know. I fish mostly from Navarre but I hear Okaloosa Pier tends to land more tarpon then Navarre pier so I might try it out that way as well.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
Grouper

here, none, Ft myers and the keys where i was raised a few. never said i was an expert, just sending some advice. fishing from a kayak is new to me so are targeting specks. always went for big fish until now. guess your a little b-hurt over my red snapper post amigo. get over it.
TheRoguePirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in