Take me to school on kayaks - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree4Likes
Unread 11-27-2019, 12:18 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

For the past few months I've been thinking of getting into kayak fishing. Kayak fishing has always been attractive being that you can essentially fish anywhere. I've just always kind of written it off, because...well I'm a lazy fisherman. So now I'm in my late 20's and I'm realizing I might need to start getting some more exercise. Seeing as I fish a few times a week and refuse to go to the gym I thought this would be a great way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Being new to this I do know a few brands that make quality kayaks such as hobie, Jackson, and ect. I just don't have any experience with any of them. So I figured I'd ask some of you who do.

I'm really leaning towards a pedal drive. I'd like to be able to do without a paddle. I feel like it's one more thing to get in the way and have to deal with. I'm not sure, but if you have a pedal drive do you really still need a paddle for any reason? Also do you get more distance out of a pedal drive before you wear out as opposed to a paddle?

I'd like the kayak to be stable as possible. That's probably one of my biggest priorities. I only weigh 180 so I'm not worried about rolling it over. I just want it to have a nice balance.

My second priority would be space. I know it's not like boat fishing. I really can't carry everything, but I'd like to have room so I can take the essentials without it feeling crowded.

Being able to have a fish finder is a big plus. While looking at some kayaks at academy tonight I got to thinking about rigging a fish finder on a pedal driven yak. Is it feasible? The transducer I wouldn't think could be at the back due to the rudder. Does anyone have a good solution to that?

So far those are my main concerns. Is there anything else I'm leaving out that I should think about? I'm sure some of my questions are dumb, but I'd feel dumber for buying one and assuming something that I shouldn't have. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by low tide; 11-27-2019 at 12:37 AM.
low tide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2019, 12:20 AM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Almost left out a huge one. COST!!! I do know what a good kayak cost, but I'm not gonna spend something stupid. I'd like to try and keep it under $1500. I'm sure that price with the drive system won't be easy to find. So far the only thing in that range I know of is the pelican catch 130.

Last edited by low tide; 11-27-2019 at 12:39 AM.
Unread 11-27-2019, 02:48 AM   #3
Sailfish

There are more choices than ever in the pedal market. I have both the Hobie pro angler and the Hobie outback. They are both great kayaks for fishing and both are plenty stable for 180 pound frame. I’m 220 and they hold me up no problem. The pro angler is like a barge, but is faster over distance than most all paddle fishing kayaks that have nowhere near the stability of the Hobie. I’ve owned something like 25 kayaks in the last 20 years and the Hobie pro angler is the clear #1. Hobie outback and native propel tied for 2nd.

With respect to the fish finder, hobies are made to accommodate a fish finder without drilling any holes. Most other pedal kayak manufacturers are similarly equipped to accommodate a fish finder.

I keep a paddle on the boat just for pushing away from shore (pedals need about 1 foot of clearance) and for worst case scenarios.

I’d be willing to part with either of my kayaks if you’re interested, I’ve been flirting with putting them for sale online, but decided to wait until summer. If you are interested, i would sell my 2016 outback for $1500 and that would get you on the water in a nice fishing yak. Send me a pm if you’re interested. I’d be interested in selling the 2015 pro angler with a 7” fish finder installed, but I’d have to get more like $2200 for it.

Feel free to text (727) 271-9347 if you’re interested or just have any other kayak-related questions. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

Click for Spearfishing, Astrophotography, Timelapse, Diving, Fishing, Skiing, Warrior Dash videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jdbeach2...?sort=p&view=0

aquatic argobull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2019, 05:00 AM   #4
Grand Slam

Kayaking for 5 years. Two words " pedal drive"

preferably , Hobie mirage drive. I prefer the Outbacks. Buy a good used one for under $1500 on here or craigslist. Don't buy one made before 2015, which will give you the newer much more comfortable seat.
60hertz likes this.
Unread 11-27-2019, 05:32 AM   #5
Mingo

If there is any way for you to "try before you buy" it would be to your advantage. I have owned both an Outback and a Native Propel. I preferred the Outback pedal drive over the Propel in shallow water. Swinging the Propel up out of its well in shallow water is a pain. A paddle is a good thing if the pedal drive malfunctions.

$1500 for the Outback mentioned above is a good price.
fishinbug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2019, 06:34 AM   #6
Trigger

That outback posted above is a good price. Also my 2 cents is you won’t be disappointed with a Hobie.

Last week I purchased my second one. There is a dealer in Hilton Head that has a number of used and new kayaks for sale right now at significant discounts. I bought mine , a 2017 model that was still in the wrapper and it was $1000 off list. It’s 2 years old but still in the wrapper is brand new in my book. The dealer is “Outside Hilton Head “ if you are interested. Might be worth a look.
~JOE~
Unread 11-27-2019, 07:20 AM   #7
Sailfish

Hobie.
60hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2019, 08:12 AM   #8
Grand Slam

how much was it out the door with tax Joetrain ?
Unread 11-27-2019, 09:14 AM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks guys. I think that answered all my questions. It'll be sometime at the beginning of next year before I can think about getting one. Aquatic argobull if you still have that outback by then I'll definitely get up with you.
aquatic argobull likes this.
Unread 11-27-2019, 10:41 AM   #10
Grouper

Location: live in Baton Rouge but have a condo in Pensacola Beach

There is a store in Gulfport called Everything Kayaks. They are right before entering the outlet mall off of I10. They have all of the major brands mentioned AND they have an indoor testing pool to demo any kayak you may be interested in. Good Luck !
fishinbug likes this.
lsucole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in