Should we put sailfish in our laps for pictures? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Like Tree1Likes

Old 09-14-2015, 05:36 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Should we put sailfish in our laps for pictures?

Saw this on the Bayou Coast Kayak page, taken from The Billfish Foundation. It cites a report on white marlin in which 21% of fish removed from water and then released (in seemingly good condition) died compared to just 2% who were not removed from the water.

http://www.billfish.org/news/keep-em...handling-tips/

Highlights:
Quote:
Removing billfish from the water puts additional stress on their body after the initial stress caused by the fight. Contact with the fish removes the slime that protects it from parasites and infections.

A billfish’s skeleton is designed for buoyant conditions of the ocean, so when removed from the water the skeleton and internal organs come under the strain of gravity, which can cause serious harm to the fish.

If an angler wants a photo with his or her fish, TBF recommends safe handling practices be followed. Once the fish is alongside the boat, keep it in gear with the fish’s lower jaw in the water to ensure oxygenated water passes over the gills. Then the angler can lean over the gunnel while someone snaps photos.
Worth considering. I'm not opposed to people keeping legal sailfish. But if a sailfish is going to be released, we should do what we can to ensure its survival.
CCC likes this.
GrandIsle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
Snapper

Put a rag around the bill and lift up the sail for a great picture. The rag protects your hand from abrasion.
OLDBOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #3
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDBOB View Post
Put a rag around the bill and lift up the sail for a great picture. The rag protects your hand from abrasion.
This wasn't what he was asking. I think it should be done quick if you're going to do it. Offshore, I have pulled both whites and sailfish out for pics but limit the time to 15 seconds or less. Don't "rearrange" for a better shot. Take the pic, get him back in and make sure you cradle his body weight of you're going to do it.

Bear in mind Florida has laws on some species that someone in the know may chime in with.
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #4
Grouper

dont blame anyone because i have done it many times but there was 1 years back a green sail on heavy tackle the fish broke its bill and the rest wasnt pretty to this day i would never do it again outside of charters and i hate to do that that fish was legal and was great smoked but as pretty as they are it makes u think if u kill one u will never forget it its like loosing a deer u wounded
weedline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2015, 08:31 AM   #5
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
This wasn't what he was asking. I think it should be done quick if you're going to do it. Offshore, I have pulled both whites and sailfish out for pics but limit the time to 15 seconds or less. Don't "rearrange" for a better shot. Take the pic, get him back in and make sure you cradle his body weight of you're going to do it.

Bear in mind Florida has laws on some species that someone in the know may chime in with.
You are right, I didn't answer the question. I should have said at first, do not take the Sailfish out of the water. Even your method does not ensure that your fish were not part of the 27%.
I sincerely apologize for not answering the question properly.
OLDBOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2015, 08:40 AM   #6
White Marlin

Aw hell......
H2OMARK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
Snapper

This has been on my mind lately too. Its definitely bad for the fish to be removed from the water. Their bodies/bills are not structurally made to support any weight out of the water and can be damaged, and the slime coat on their skin is important and can be rubbed off. But, people want pictures and will be tempted to remove them, so maybe we can come up with some sort of method for getting good pics while the fish is in the water alongside the kayak. This isn't intended to shame anyone, lets just try to find the best ways to handle and release the next fish we catch
Salt Lines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2015, 11:30 AM   #8
Mingo

Default Do not lift by bill

This is Steve Kaiser. He was a great fisherman in Pensacola. He always said do not lift by the bill and sometimes went above and beyond...
george hirst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2015, 01:42 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Underwater video is great. Nothing like an alive, lit up fish in shallow water so that you can see the color. I think most of us can live without a lap pic in the age of GoPro. It also keeps the feet out of the pictures
Sean72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2015, 02:08 PM   #10
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean72 View Post
Underwater video is great. Nothing like an alive, lit up fish in shallow water so that you can see the color. I think most of us can live without a lap pic in the age of GoPro. It also keeps the feet out of the pictures
this
J0nesi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in