Safe weather - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Old 05-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Safe weather

Hey all so been reading around on the site and had a question as someone new to kayaking. What things to you all look for in a weather report to go offshore. Wind direction/speed, wave height, tide. Not looking from a fishing perspective but just what is a good report to head out in. Really interested as there were lots of folks headed out while some thought it wasn't good weather, what are your all's thoughts.
rbecker08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2016, 09:13 PM   #2
Snapper

A lot has been said about this in past threads and it would be worth going back and reading them. Skills and comfort levels vary widely and that's why you see some people saying going where others wouldn't. Personally I like winds less than 10 mph preferably out of the north and a swell info to forecast less than 2 ft. Any more than that and I usually inshore or bass fish. Been out in real 2-3s and caught some fish trolling but didn't enjoy it near as much and holding on a spot to bottom fish was near impossible.
wallace1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2016, 09:22 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Anything over 10 mph is too much, wind direction north winds will lay down the gulf and make launching and re entry easy south winds bring up the wave heights, also when your looking at surf reports look at the winds for the entire day it can calm with 5 mph north winds at 6 am and shift to 12 mph south winds at 10 am which can make for rough conditions. wave height best is 1ft or less or even flat conditions. Bigger wave heights are doable just not ideal for a beginner. Im no expert this is just what i go by also check swellinfo.com or magicseaweed for surf reports. Hope this helps
Chris87$ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2016, 11:39 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Perfect answers guys that's exactly what I am looking for sounds like flat and north wind is where I'll start and build comfort from there. Thanks
Old 05-09-2016, 06:36 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

i would suggest just taking your kayak with no gear and just practice surf launching and re entry
Chris87$ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #6
Snapper

I look at weather underground for forecasts of wind direction and speed and swellinfo.com for two key aspects: wave height (which everyone seems to have a handle on) and wave period. For wave height you want 2ft or less (wave height is measured from the mid point, so from bottom to top its really 4 feet with a "2ft wave"), really you want 1 ft or less. For wave period you ideally want 3x the wave height. If you have 2 ft waves with an 8 second period you are fine. 2 ft waves with a 4 second period is too rough. For wind speed I like under 10 mph (it always seems to be more windy than predicted on the water). A north wind flattens waves but can blow you out to sea, a south wind kicks waves up.
Salt Lines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2016, 09:07 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the info and good advice on the practice getting back in. That is defiantly on the to do list. I am staying inshore for now but want to head out sometime this summer.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:27 AM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Consider the amount of time you will be out. Chances are the wind will change direction throughout the day. I had to learn the hard way to secure everything on board to the kayak just in case you get rolled. My rollovers were always on my landings on a crowded beach after the south wind picked up higher than forecasted. However, the crowd are always willing to help with the recovery of your stuff.
Hardyrowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2016, 11:54 AM   #9
Snapper

Also, lots of people recommend getting out of the kayaks to walk/swim in them in through the surf to avoid tipping and spilling everything.
Salt Lines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in