Reel question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Old 08-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Trigger

Default Reel question

So I wound up hand lining a king to my yak after the bale on my Penn 460 Slammer broke.

During a run the screws and components that holds the bale to the reel (if that makes sense) where guide is for the line to pull from the reel to the rod broke. I was a bit surprise as I had light drag on.

My question is, was my 460 outclassed for big pelagics or did it just happen to come undone. I have taken good care of it but of recent have punished it with kings and Jacks etc.

I will get it fixed but need to figure out if I need something heavier keeping in mind that I love lighter tackle.

Thanks for the input!
froglegs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Sailfish

Unclean on what part or parts broke...bail arm, rotating head? I don't think you outclassed the 460. Slammers are super solid reels with legendary drag systems. Fix it and get out there.
Pompano Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompano Joe View Post
Unclean on what part or parts broke...bail arm, rotating head? I don't think you outclassed the 460. Slammers are super solid reels with legendary drag systems. Fix it and get out there.
Thanks Pomp. It broke where the bail and rotating head connect (I think is how you describe it). There is a screw right next to the guide on the bail that worked itself out.

Thanks for the info. I will get it fixed in the mean time I went and got a 5500 SpinFisher.

I have been using my Striper rod ( Abu Garcia 6000 / Loomis heavy action rod) to pretty good success. I landed a 43" king on that setup.
froglegs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in